8 matches left, time to deliver

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

8 matches left, time to deliver

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:42 pm

Losing to Everton is a bitter blow. A win would have got us 4th place which would have been great but still the season haS matches yet to play.

We have had a brilliant season in many respects. We are backed financially better than most if not all clubs worldwide. We have some players who can play at times great football e.g. Tevez, Bellamy, Kompany and Given to name just a few. We have won at Chelsea 4-2 and ended their unbeaten home record. We are a good side, we need to grow to become better, it will not happen overnight.

It is time for the players to regroup and put performances in that take us past teams who will just defend and make life difficult. This is what should be sorted on the training ground. The pace of passes is vital as much as having the vision to play the pass.

If we get the next 8 games right we will have Champions League football to look forward to next season and a very exciting summer
- World Cup, transfer window and then the opportunity to play with the big boys.

The Manager needs to get formation, tactics and selections right of course, the players need to produce and be committed, the fans need to be vocal and passionate e.g. Hamburg at home.

At the time of writing we are 5th in the table with 8 games to go. We can get 4th. We need to show in the final 8 matches how much we all want it. Goals, Passion, Victory. COME ON CITY - WE CAN DO IT!
Bojinov's left foot
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Re: 8 matches left, time to deliver

Postby HeyMark » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:45 pm

The more I look at our last 5 games the more worried I am. That really is one of the toughest run ins imaginable
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby gillie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:49 pm

HeyMark wrote:The more I look at our last 5 games the more worried I am. That really is one of the toughest run ins imaginable

Is it fuck they are the games we will win its the so called easy games that worry me.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby zuricity » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:54 pm

gillie wrote:
HeyMark wrote:The more I look at our last 5 games the more worried I am. That really is one of the toughest run ins imaginable

Is it fuck they are the games we will win its the so called easy games that worry me.

Dead right there mate.

tonight was an easy win for me. The others coming up are difficult. :-))
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:00 am

They never said it was going to be easy.
Bojinov's left foot
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:48 am

While I'm absolutely devastated by the loss, I can't understand why people labeled this as easy game? I thought beforehand that this is actually one of the hardest! Everton are in super form, they have one of the best away records in league, Moyes hates us guts and gets his side buzzing against us, Arteta, the hart and soul of their game, was back, Cahill ALWAYS scores against us, if you go one nil down against Everton they are almost impossible to break up.... even by better sides than us.

So no, in paper this was fucking hard. Problem is, so are most of our remaining games.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby btajim » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:48 am

Time to put 5 past Wigan on Monday.

Fully agree that tougher Matches are to come - but we've beaten Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Ure at Home this season. We can do this.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:56 am

I just feel that we lack the bottle to do this. As of all season its been two steps forward, five back. I hate City sometimes, i really do.

Big games this season and we have bottled it big time, Man U away in the cup, Stoke in the cup, Spurs away, Everton home and away. I think the players now need to shut the fuck up get their heads down and sort this out.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:25 am

A lot of the teams we're playing against will need to beat us. Our weakness is that we struggle to break down ANY team who sets their stall out to stop us but when we have space to break into we're as good as anyone (or we would be if we took our chances).

Therefore most of the games to come should suit us & give us a chance of winning IF we can break down Wigan!
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:28 am

Ted Hughes wrote:A lot of the teams we're playing against will need to beat us. Our weakness is that we struggle to break down ANY team who sets their stall out to stop us but when we have space to break into we're as good as anyone (or we would be if we took our chances).

Therefore most of the games to come should suit us & give us a chance of winning IF we can break down Wigan!

That's pretty much it.

Go one-nil up and we are on route to win, go one-nil down and we'll find no way back.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:39 am

Shudder at the thought of those gutless wankers delivering for 8 games.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:54 am

lets all have a disco wrote:Shudder at the thought of those gutless wankers delivering for 8 games.

Perhaps a touch harsh, but my thoughts are that they have had the opportunities to prove their bottle against Sunderland, Stoke, Hull etc etc and have kept on blowing the opportunities. Chelsea imploded, Arsenal and United look like they may go down to the wire, so we wont find either game easy - there are some saying we will go and beat arsenal on their patch, er, yeah right....

Why should we believe that anything will change? People keep on saying, "we should be well up for the last 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 etc games" - yet forget to ask why we werent up for majority of the run of games we have just had.

Its not the end of the world, we are still in the hint if we win our remaining games, but the fixtures which are coming up look evn more daunting after last night, but hell, typical city to win the games we are not fancied to, and fuck up the ones we should win eh?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:05 am

johnpb78 wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:Shudder at the thought of those gutless wankers delivering for 8 games.

Perhaps a touch harsh, but my thoughts are that they have had the opportunities to prove their bottle against Sunderland, Stoke, Hull etc etc and have kept on blowing the opportunities. Chelsea imploded, Arsenal and U***d look like they may go down to the wire, so we wont find either game easy - there are some saying we will go and beat arsenal on their patch, er, yeah right....

Why should we believe that anything will change? People keep on saying, "we should be well up for the last 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 etc games" - yet forget to ask why we werent up for majority of the run of games we have just had.

Its not the end of the world, we are still in the hint if we win our remaining games, but the fixtures which are coming up look evn more daunting after last night, but hell, typical city to win the games we are not fancied to, and fuck up the ones we should win eh?

I think Everton is just about the worst fixture City can play tbh. That's why we should have just gone for it last night rather than trying to match them. They're better than us at that type of game. The games to come offer a different set of problems to Everton though but ones which we're more adept at solving & ones which suit Mancini more imo. He hasn't got a scooby how to play against a typical rough English PL side but most teams to come don't fit that description bar Birmingham.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:18 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

Perhaps a touch harsh, but my thoughts are that they have had the opportunities to prove their bottle against Sunderland, Stoke, Hull etc etc and have kept on blowing the opportunities. Chelsea imploded, Arsenal and U***d look like they may go down to the wire, so we wont find either game easy - there are some saying we will go and beat arsenal on their patch, er, yeah right....

I think Everton is just about the worst fixture City can play tbh. That's why we should have just gone for it last night rather than trying to match them. They're better than us at that type of game. The games to come offer a different set of problems to Everton though but ones which we're more adept at solving & ones which suit Mancini more imo. He hasn't got a scooby how to play against a typical rough English PL side but most teams to come don't fit that description bar Birmingham.

I'm not too disconsolate at losing last night, they are a good team who aside from a poor start would probably have walked 4th place by now and may even have challenged at the top.

The games coming up vs United, hopefully we have the sign on them, particularly at our place and the players seem to know what its all about. Whether the motivation from the manager is there, thats a different question. Perversely, that game is the one game I am reasonably relaxed about.

Mystifying selections last night worry me about the "tinkering". We tried to block up the midfield and then promptly surrendered it for large parts of the game, which shows a huge tactical naivity. Still believe we have the squad and they players, but we have to go out and get this 4th place - its not going to come via cagey 1.0 wins, as our upcoming opposition are too good for that.

Until its mathematically possible, I will not give up thinking that we can do it, but I think we are all massively disappointed that the manager reverted to type last night after a decent attempt at attacking football against Fulham. He needs to set out his stall and stick to it, and playing 1 forward at home is not right, never will be, and will never lead to success.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:32 am

johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

I'm not too disconsolate at losing last night, they are a good team who aside from a poor start would probably have walked 4th place by now and may even have challenged at the top.

The games coming up vs U***d, hopefully we have the sign on them, particularly at our place and the players seem to know what its all about. Whether the motivation from the manager is there, thats a different question. Perversely, that game is the one game I am reasonably relaxed about.

Mystifying selections last night worry me about the "tinkering". We tried to block up the midfield and then promptly surrendered it for large parts of the game, which shows a huge tactical naivity. Still believe we have the squad and they players, but we have to go out and get this 4th place - its not going to come via cagey 1.0 wins, as our upcoming opposition are too good for that.

Until its mathematically possible, I will not give up thinking that we can do it, but I think we are all massively disappointed that the manager reverted to type last night after a decent attempt at attacking football against Fulham. He needs to set out his stall and stick to it, and playing 1 forward at home is not right, never will be, and will never lead to success.

If you are going to play 1 forward at home he should either be Drogba or similar or the midfield should be full of goals & creativity, shots from outside the box etc. How many goals does our lot add up to this season apart from Bellamy? How were we ever likely to beat a team like Everton, relying on those players in that formation? Downright stupid. It would have made more sense to play RSC on his own & play Tevez deeper if desperate tp play 5 in there.

Anyway back to the 8 games, I still think we're in with as good a chance as our competitors. Last nights dropped points + Sunderland just lose us the bonus points from Chelsea & Fulham which we were'nt expecting anyway. It's still likely to be the Villa/Spurs games which decide it & I fancy us more in those than v Everton.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Original Dub » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:55 am

Our problem is that we play as cautiously at home as we do away. We should have had everton shitting it with a very attacking side yesterday. We should have started with two strikers - Eastlands was the hardest place to win FFS!

Having said that, its over now and time to pick ourselves back up. I did say before the game that contrary to maybe how most felt, I felt Everton was our toughest home game of the run in and I hope I'm right. They have a fantastic away record and are in really good form. We know that our players can naturally raise their game against the big sides and we have Villa, Spurs and United in that respect - all major rivals for what we want as fans. Wigan and Birmingham are opponents we'll simply have to outclass, but they aren't the same style as Everton, nor are they as solid. Brum's run looks to be over and we have more to gain, Wigan will simply HAVE to pay the price for what happened last night or else it is over IMO.

So in all, I think we'll win all of our home games if we go out with a do or die attitude. And there is no reason to think we can't sneak 6 points from our away games.

The shackles HAVE to come off NOW though.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:01 am

Original Dub wrote:Our problem is that we play as cautiously at home as we do away. We should have had everton shitting it with a very attacking side yesterday. We should have started with two strikers - Eastlands was the hardest place to win FFS!

Having said that, its over now and time to pick ourselves back up. I did say before the game that contrary to maybe how most felt, I felt Everton was our toughest home game of the run in and I hope I'm right. They have a fantastic away record and are in really good form. We know that our players can naturally raise their game against the big sides and we have Villa, Spurs and U***d in that respect - all major rivals for what we want as fans. Wigan and Birmingham are opponents we'll simply have to outclass, but they aren't the same style as Everton, nor are they as solid. Brum's run looks to be over and we have more to gain, Wigan will simply HAVE to pay the price for what happened last night or else it is over IMO.

So in all, I think we'll win all of our home games if we go out with a do or die attitude. And there is no reason to think we can't sneak 6 points from our away games.

Hopefully Mancini will have realised that after comparing the last two performances.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:03 am

Original Dub wrote:Our problem is that we play as cautiously at home as we do away. We should have had everton shitting it with a very attacking side yesterday. We should have started with two strikers - Eastlands was the hardest place to win FFS!

Having said that, its over now and time to pick ourselves back up. I did say before the game that contrary to maybe how most felt, I felt Everton was our toughest home game of the run in and I hope I'm right. They have a fantastic away record and are in really good form. We know that our players can naturally raise their game against the big sides and we have Villa, Spurs and U***d in that respect - all major rivals for what we want as fans. Wigan and Birmingham are opponents we'll simply have to outclass, but they aren't the same style as Everton, nor are they as solid. Brum's run looks to be over and we have more to gain, Wigan will simply HAVE to pay the price for what happened last night or else it is over IMO.

I can't believe we were watching the same game. We were harrassing them most of the game and were attacking from the start. They hardly touched the ball apart from the goal.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:08 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

I can't believe we were watching the same game. We were harrassing them most of the game and were attacking from the start. They hardly touched the ball apart from the goal.

Its pointless having all the attacking posession and looking dangerous when it all falls to rat shit around the box because all you have to aim at is a midget, and your midfield havent got a clue how to break down a defence.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:10 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Not how I saw it mate. Just 2 negative teams stood looking at each other, (one of which is famous for scoring from set pieces & one of which is famous for letting in goals from set pieces) imo until later in the 2nd half when we were really playing quite well but had gaps at the back.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum