Charlie

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Charlie

Postby CityGer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:20 pm

Quick as a month in the jail, can't head the ball and a dozy fucker to boot. We have two better options at RB.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:27 pm

On of Sven's best buys and possibly the best player during his season in charge.

MILES better than any RB we have at the club currently. Stupid letting him go imo. Especially as his name's on the back of my third kit >: (
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Grob » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:45 pm

A good footballer but i thought he was poor aerially and a soft tackler. He used to read the game well for a full back though, rarely would he lose the ball also in possession.

Depends what you want from a full back as to who you prefer, him, Zabs or Richards.

None are world class.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby walmai » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:47 pm

Wooders wrote:
walmai wrote:
Wooders wrote:couldn't wait to fuck off and be with his bum boy at spurs - I'm not convinced Zabba is better than him but I reckon Richards is

What 'bum boy'? Surely he moved to Spurs long before Modric did?

Oh yeah - he's a lot better than Zabaleta too.

No mate, Modric joined in April

Yeah but didn't Corluka move in the Summer that Hughes took over?
What I meant was that he was there two windows before they signed Modric.

Wish all three of Spuds' Croats played at West Ham. Technically great, entertaining players, all three of them.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby the_georgian_genius » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:16 am

A great player one of spurs's most valuable players. Was gutted when he went and we were left with Richards and Zabaleta.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:32 am

Very intelligent player, good with the ball and great positional sense. Slow as fuck and runs like he has high heels on.

Would love him to still be here, think he'll be a solid pro for a long time as his game isn't built on pace and he clearly has a football brain. That said he's no world beater and I actually liked him better in midfield ala Didi Hamaan.

Liked him? Yep. Gutted? No.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby john@staustell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:50 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Does anyone else think it was bad business letting him go to the spuds?

Although he was poor when he first joined them he seems to have flourished recently...looked like he had a good game at the weekend

No.

Noticed one time particularly when he failed to leave the ground for a header. Slowest RB in the world.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby sweenyuk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:27 am

The simple truth on this one is that we had to sell him. Can't remeber the figures exactly but Zab was around £2m cheaper and we needed that money to pay the wages at the time
sweenyuk
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:40 am

I thought he asked to leave so that he could be with Modric in London? Hughes told him he wouldn't be leaving until we got a replacement and then Zabs came in.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby btajim » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:27 pm

MaseCTID wrote:I thought he asked to leave so that he could be with Modric in London? Hughes told him he wouldn't be leaving until we got a replacement and then Zabs came in.

I'm a fan of Zabaleta, but Corluka could play at Right Back, Centre Half and Holding Midfield which makes me him an incredibly useful Squad Member. The shaky defence at the start of the season and subsequent loss of Toure AND Lescott would've been perfect for Corluka. Our loss = Spurs gain.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Slim » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:51 pm

walmai wrote:Yeah but didn't Corluka move in the Summer that Hughes took over?

Modrić agreed transfer terms with Tottenham Hotspur on 26 April 2008.

On 1 September 2008, it was announced that Ćorluka had signed for Tottenham Hotspur.

Or not.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Crossie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:43 pm

Be interesting to see what Spuds thanks think of him, only problem is I cant bare even being in the same room as one of them.

Id put a bet on them saying the same things, slow, lazy, doesnt put enough effort in enough of the time, more like a rolls royce in a world of Ferrari's
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby walmai » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:15 pm

Slim wrote:

On 1 September 2008, it was announced that Ćorluka had signed for Tottenham Hotspur.

Or not.

Ok then, must have got it mixed up with when Krancjar signed. I'm certainly not arguing with the kind of man with the resources to put the correct accents on the Croatian 'c's!
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby ENIAM NAM » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:17 pm

walmai wrote:
Slim wrote:

Or not.

I'm certainly not arguing with the kind of man with the resources to put the correct accents on the Croatian 'c's!

Ha Ha. PMSL.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby citytilidie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:27 pm

btajim wrote:
MaseCTID wrote:I thought he asked to leave so that he could be with Modric in London? Hughes told him he wouldn't be leaving until we got a replacement and then Zabs came in.

I'm a fan of Zabaleta, but Corluka could play at Right Back, Centre Half and Holding Midfield which makes me him an incredibly useful Squad Member. The shaky defence at the start of the season and subsequent loss of Toure AND Lescott would've been perfect for Corluka. Our loss = Spurs gain.

but Zab has played RB, RM, LB, LM & CM this season for us? So equally (if not more) as useful as a squad player ?
It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't.
citytilidie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby btajim » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:32 pm

citytilidie wrote:but Zab has played RB, RM, LB, LM & CM this season for us? So equally (if not more) as useful as a squad player ?

He has indeed. But Corluka was an excellent Centre Half and this is the sort of position we've been missing throughout parts of this season. Watching Toure and Lescott help leak the Goals that went to DDDDDDD (not Jordan's Bra Size) was a shocker.

Zabaleta is a first XI player, IMHO.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Slim » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:47 am

walmai wrote:
Slim wrote:

Or not.

Ok then, must have got it mixed up with when Krancjar signed. I'm certainly not arguing with the kind of man with the resources to put the correct accents on the Croatian 'c's!

Cut and paste from the world's most accurate site, Wikipedia.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:56 am

Was one of our best players in Sven's season here I think, he could of developed into a truly world class right back under Mancini (or Sven had we kept him) I rate. He defo would be very useful at this moment in time and he is fast turning into one of Spurs best players.

Corluka is a better player than both Richards and Zabaleta in my opinion, although Zaba is more useful because he can play in more positions and Richards had the ability to become a better player in the future.

Was gutted when he left as I thought he still had a lot to offer City.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby dazby » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:13 am

a shame he left but Zabba is better.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Colin the King » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:52 am

btajim wrote:

Agree completely Jim.

I remember Charlie playing in midfield over the Christmas period in that season and he was phenomenal. No revisionism or nostalgia- he really was. He had a brilliant range of passing, was cool and composed in his decision making, positionally second to none, and obviously his one biggest downfall (pace) isn't necessary in that position- see Hamann.

As for in his 'natural' position, a lot of the criticism directed at him comes from a few roastings he took from the likes of Ashley Young. The very, very best in the world get done like that occasionally but rather than bow down to the winger's excellence on that day, it was all Charlie's fault for being slow, clumsy, stupid. Madness.

He played really well in most of his games and I often felt even when we lost, he'd be one of the few bright sparks. He was in a team that's drastically different in personnel to this one. We've improved in every single position since then- who's to say he wouldn't excel in the current side, backed up by better quality?

As for Spurs fans, he's in the running for Player of the Season at the moment.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum