Lescott and kompany

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Lescott and kompany

Postby Wooders » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:27 am

might be an idea to try toure at RB?

Did he get huffy at arse for being played at RB though? Seem to remember something like that, if he didn't, its definately worth a try as he's good at attacking runs
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby bluej » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:30 am

Wooders wrote:might be an idea to try toure at RB?

Did he get huffy at arse for being played at RB though? Seem to remember something like that, if he didn't, its definately worth a try as he's good at attacking runs

Yeah I'd definitely like to see him try, he's good with the ball at his feet and he's got a better footballing brain than Micah.

The only thing is I can't see him throwing himself around to stop crosses going in, but seeing as our full backs tuck in anyway it won't be that much of a problem.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby zuricity » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:50 am

irblinx wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:
xavi6 wrote:I just worry that they'll be broken up when Toure gets back.

My fears as well but surely they've done enough now to keep their place at the heart of our defence.

Good job tonight.

Gets back from where, he's been sat on the bench watching Kompany take his place from him surely?

I agree with that irblinx, I think this is a phantom injury for Toure, i don't think it exists at all.

I was wondering out loud on the Chelsea predictions thread with old john68 about Mancini losing credibility, if he played Toure instead of Kompany and i was really pleased to see this pairing (Kompany / Lescott) yesterday. It paid off and we've now got two weeks to rest , settle and rebuild for those difficult away games. Although having won away at Chelsea and having taken maximum points from the league leader, it must give the whole team a boost in confidence going into those next two important away games.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:53 pm

Ok, I've already praised them on another topic but what I was thinking last night was that in next summer I'd go all out for top top quality centerback and try to get rid of Toure. Not slagging Toure off as such but I just don't think he is suited to City.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Wooders wrote:might be an idea to try toure at RB?

Exactly what I was thinking, if he doesn't like it he can try fucking off instead.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Colin the King » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:02 am

Lescott and Kompany remind me in some ways of Dunnie and Distin's partnership at City. Kompany is the Distin, pacy, intelligent and very comfortable on the ball while Lescott is the Dunnie- physically strong, solid, an excellent tackler and first class in the air. Sometimes the sum is greater than the parts- you could pay £100million for two 'world class' defenders and they might never hit it off, but these two just look comfortable in each others' Kompany (sorry).

Touré just hasn't hit the ground running and such is the ruthless nature of top level football, he might never force his way back properly. There's absolutely no reason to change our back four (with Richards/Zabs the only thing up for debate imo) so barring any injuries, he'll be staying on the bench which is no less than he deserves.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby btajim » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:42 am

Colin the King wrote:Lescott and Kompany remind me in some ways of Dunnie and Distin's partnership at City. Kompany is the Distin, pacy, intelligent and very comfortable on the ball while Lescott is the Dunnie- physically strong, solid, an excellent tackler and first class in the air. Sometimes the sum is greater than the parts- you could pay £100million for two 'world class' defenders and they might never hit it off, but these two just look comfortable in each others' Kompany (sorry).

Interesting comparison between Lescott and Dunne. Not the first player I would have compared him too. I think Lescott is a more skilful and adaptable player than Dunne is. Despite his ability, Lescott will never be The Rock that a classic Dunne was - but will be more beneficial in alternative ways. I also don't think Lescott would be Captain material whereas Kompany would be.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Mase » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:52 am

Micah's just started playing well and looks to have a bit of confidence back, so why not drop him now and put someone like Toure at RB who's been wank all season?
Last edited by Mase on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby john@staustell » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:52 am

btajim wrote:
Colin the King wrote:Lescott and Kompany remind me in some ways of Dunnie and Distin's partnership at City. Kompany is the Distin, pacy, intelligent and very comfortable on the ball while Lescott is the Dunnie- physically strong, solid, an excellent tackler and first class in the air. Sometimes the sum is greater than the parts- you could pay £100million for two 'world class' defenders and they might never hit it off, but these two just look comfortable in each others' Kompany (sorry).

Interesting comparison between Lescott and Dunne. Not the first player I would have compared him too. I think Lescott is a more skilful and adaptable player than Dunne is. Despite his ability, Lescott will never be The Rock that a classic Dunne was - but will be more beneficial in alternative ways. I also don't think Lescott would be Captain material whereas Kompany would be.

Nostalgia. I think Lescott and Kompany can play at CB in a top four or top 2 team, whereas Dunnie and Distin were and always would've been players comfortable at the likes of a poor City, Everton, Villa, Portsmouth, Newcastle etc. No top team would ever sign them either one. We have stepped up, if those 2 were playing for us now you'd soon know about it.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Beeks » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:02 am

Lescott and Vinnie are without doubt the best CB pairing...looked solid on Saturday...lets hope Mancini knows this and leaves Toure on the bench
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Mase » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:26 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Lescott and Vinnie are without doubt the best CB pairing...looked solid on Saturday...lets hope Mancini knows this and leaves Toure on the bench

Agreed!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:38 am

I said last season Kompo should be captain, and I still stand by this.
Classy player. One of the best in the league on his day.
Lescott is class too. I was gutted when he got injured as he was getting into it and had 3 top games in the run up to his injury.
He's come back and been just as impressive.
For the record, Micah has had 1 bad game this year, that was against Chelsea, which is excusable IMO. He's class and thankfully remembered how to defend again. Bridge had a stormer too and I don't rate that fucker. If he keeps that up we have a top 4 standard defence.
If we can get a top top class left back then I would sign him, Micah will be awesome, and one of the best in the world once he's fully matured. Mark my words.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Mike J » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:46 am

i still think under the correct guidence micah would make a great centre back, he just needs leader next to him like dunne was. those 2 were excellent under sven.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby btajim » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:39 pm

john@staustell wrote:
btajim wrote:Interesting comparison between Lescott and Dunne. Not the first player I would have compared him too. I think Lescott is a more skilful and adaptable player than Dunne is. Despite his ability, Lescott will never be The Rock that a classic Dunne was - but will be more beneficial in alternative ways. I also don't think Lescott would be Captain material whereas Kompany would be.

Nostalgia. I think Lescott and Kompany can play at CB in a top four or top 2 team, whereas Dunnie and Distin were and always would've been players comfortable at the likes of a poor City, Everton, Villa, Portsmouth, Newcastle etc. No top team would ever sign them either one. We have stepped up, if those 2 were playing for us now you'd soon know about it.

Nothing wrong with nostalgia. Dunne and Distin NOW are not the Centre Half pairing we need (despite both still playing for solid Premiership Clubs) - but they kept loads of clean sheets in their day. I always thought the combination the two made was particularly good. i.e. Distin's pace and Dunne's strength.

Despite not too much competition - Dunne was repeatedly POTS and this may not be matched again.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Original Dub » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:56 pm

btajim wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
btajim wrote:Interesting comparison between Lescott and Dunne. Not the first player I would have compared him too. I think Lescott is a more skilful and adaptable player than Dunne is. Despite his ability, Lescott will never be The Rock that a classic Dunne was - but will be more beneficial in alternative ways. I also don't think Lescott would be Captain material whereas Kompany would be.

Nothing wrong with nostalgia. Dunne and Distin NOW are not the Centre Half pairing we need (despite both still playing for solid Premiership Clubs) - but they kept loads of clean sheets in their day. I always thought the combination the two made was particularly good. i.e. Distin's pace and Dunne's strength.

Despite not too much competition - Dunne was repeatedly POTS and this may not be matched again.

I dunno mate - Wright-Phillips, Anelka, Schmeichel.... all played for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Like I said, I'm impressed with Kompany in the last few games and even though he cocked up on Saturday, his overall performance was excellent - similar to Dunne's in the final... one cock up and a goal against you, but it comes with the territory of being the last line of defence in a team and I've no problem with that.

That said, Kompany has a fair bit to do to emulate Dunne, who, as Andy Gray said yesterday is one of the best in the league.
Original Dub

Postby btajim » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Original Dub wrote:I dunno mate - Wright-Phillips, Anelka, Schmeichel.... all played for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Like I said, I'm impressed with Kompany in the last few games and even though he cocked up on Saturday, his overall performance was excellent - similar to Dunne's in the final... one cock up and a goal against you, but it comes with the territory of being the last line of defence in a team and I've no problem with that.

That said, Kompany has a fair bit to do to emulate Dunne, who, as Andy Gray said yesterday is one of the best in the league.

Dunne was also winning POTS when he was alongside such talent as Dabo, Corradi and Danny Mills. I'm eternally thankful for some of the clean sheets he helped us keep when we couldn't score for Toffee - but he was one of the only contenders at one point.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Grob » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:02 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:I said last season Kompo should be captain, and I still stand by this.
Lescott is class too. I was gutted when he got injured as he was getting into it and had 3 top games in the run up to his injury.
For the record, Micah has had 1 bad game this year, that was against Chelsea, which is excusable IMO. He's class and thankfully remembered how to defend again. Bridge had a stormer too and I don't rate that fucker. If he keeps that up we have a top 4 standard defence.
If we can get a top top class left back then I would sign him, Micah will be awesome, and one of the best in the world once he's fully matured. Mark my words.

Good post bing

Kompo would be a good choice to be captain. He convinced me of his potential to do that job with the leadership he showed Boyata when he was carrying him through matches. Top drawer. Yes he will make the odd bals up but so does Terry, so does Ferdinand, so does every defender. He has alot of bottle and is a true stopper. Ive been impressed with him everytime I have seen him at the back this season. Central defence has always been his best position, this is where he has the most potential and he is finally showing it now.

Lescott is a quality defender. He took time to settle but the ease in which he operates and the tidyness of his work are impressive now. He is a reader of the game to Kompanys get involved approach. The Distin to the Dunne if you like. I think he will flourish into a world class defender with us due to how easy it all looks for him. Even on saturday he looked assured, and calm with Didier running at him.

Toure is a similar player to Lescott but with less bottle and follows the ball a bit too much. Id rather go with Lescott if im honest. Im sure Toure would work well at full back, maybe better than either Richards or Zabs. Depends if he will play there. If not maybe a role in midfield. I think he could do a holding role.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Burt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Grob wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:I said last season Kompo should be captain, and I still stand by this.

Good post bing

Kompo would be a good choice to be captain. He convinced me of his potential to do that job with the leadership he showed Boyata when he was carrying him through matches. Top drawer. Yes he will make the odd bals up but so does Terry, so does Ferdinand, so does every defender. He has alot of bottle and is a true stopper. Ive been impressed with him everytime I have seen him at the back this season. Central defence has always been his best position, this is where he has the most potential and he is finally showing it now.

Lescott is a quality defender. He took time to settle but the ease in which he operates and the tidyness of his work are impressive now. He is a reader of the game to Kompanys get involved approach. The Distin to the Dunne if you like. I think he will flourish into a world class defender with us due to how easy it all looks for him. Even on saturday he looked assured, and calm with Didier running at him.

Toure is a similar player to Lescott but with less bottle and follows the ball a bit too much. Id rather go with Lescott if im honest. Im sure Toure would work well at full back, maybe better than either Richards or Zabs. Depends if he will play there. If not maybe a role in midfield. I think he could do a holding role.

I concur with you on this Grob. very decent post IMO mate.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby roadkill2487 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:46 am

Grob, after reading your post.. I decided to slot Toure into RB and put Kompany and Lescott in the center. Kept a clean sheet in FIFA against Barcelona and scored from a Barry free kick to Ade strike!
roadkill2487
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:03 am

roadkill2487 wrote:Grob, after reading your post.. I decided to slot Toure into RB and put Kompany and Lescott in the center. Kept a clean sheet in FIFA against Barcelona and scored from a Barry free kick to Ade strike!

Now this is what has been crying out for ages.

Lescott (IMO) will become established as the 1st choice left-sided CB in the England team over the next year or 2 and will be a shoe-in for us for years to come

That leaves the right-sided CB role and there is competition - always good, but from Toures, Kompany, Ned and Boyata I would choose Kompany every time - but potentially what a RB Kolo would make - good tackler - has pace - adds height in attack and defence able cover the CBs if the play has taken them up field.

I have said on the Micah thread that if the RB choice is between Micah and Zab - well Zab is a street ahead - but I would try Kolo in this role - one of the good things about this manager is that he has shown that he can 'think outside the box' - I hope he thinks of this
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum