The hughes Thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The hughes Thread

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:35 pm

I really liked the attacking football that Hughes played.
Bobby doesnt play that way,shame really we have the players to do it and keep it tight.

That is all.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Slim » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:59 pm

Original Dub wrote:Leave the man alone, he did a great job while he was here IMO and so far it looks like we haven't pushed on since sacking him.

:)

Code: Select all
                        P    W   D   L   F   A   Pts
Last 14 under Hughes    14   4   8   2  29  27    20
First 14 under Mancini  14   8   3   3  24  11    27

Your call.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:37 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I'm sorry to break this to you but I don't think he is coming back. Certainly not in good few years. And I do understand that we suited his profile fairly well but surely massive club like Celtic will suit him even better. Top passing football against world class opposition. I have a feeling that he will win stuff there. I know it demands top manager to lead Celtic into cups and titles in Scotland but there you go, I've said it.

I wish he'd come back here SO SO SO much.

I know.

Maybe he'll win league cup in Scotland and prove owners how wrong they were. Then they are sure to bring him back.

No, he won't be back here mate. You just said that a minute ago.

I just wish it didn't have to be this way.

We made a mistake and it hurt when I saw us hand the carling cup to U***d, it hurt when we crashed out of the fA Cup to Stoke and to be honest it hurts nearly everytime I watch the players full of fear trying to stumble through each game.

But he won't be back... alas

I know. It hurt almost as much as crashing out of FA Cup by Nottingham Forest and League Cup by Brighton. Not half as much as finishing 10th with a team that previous season had finished 9th and had 125m worth of additions though. That REALLY hurt.

I just wish we had him back, that's all.
Original Dub

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:15 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I'm sorry to break this to you but I don't think he is coming back. Certainly not in good few years. And I do understand that we suited his profile fairly well but surely massive club like Celtic will suit him even better. Top passing football against world class opposition. I have a feeling that he will win stuff there. I know it demands top manager to lead Celtic into cups and titles in Scotland but there you go, I've said it.

I wish he'd come back here SO SO SO much.

I know.

Maybe he'll win league cup in Scotland and prove owners how wrong they were. Then they are sure to bring him back.

We made a mistake and it hurt when I saw us hand the carling cup to U***d, it hurt when we crashed out of the fA Cup to Stoke and to be honest it hurts nearly everytime I watch the players full of fear trying to stumble through each game.

I know. It hurt almost as much as crashing out of FA Cup by Nottingham Forest and League Cup by Brighton. Not half as much as finishing 10th with a team that previous season had finished 9th and had 125m worth of additions though. That REALLY hurt.

But all failed in comparison to be beaten by the scum with all that money and an extra couple of months gelling.

Carry on!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:51 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
I know.

But all failed in comparison to be beaten by the scum with all that money and an extra couple of months gelling.

Carry on!

Whereas we previously had such brilliant record against rags under Hughes. What was that? Three losses? That's prettty good by anyone's standards. In fact, who was the last manager that did this well against rags?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Original Dub » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:24 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
I know.

Carry on!

Whereas we previously had such brilliant record against rags under Hughes. What was that? Three losses? That's prettty good by anyone's standards. In fact, who was the last manager that did this well against rags?

This well?

We were beating the rags barely at half time in a two legged game.

You got TERRIBLY excited about that afterwards I recall.... and you got stuck into me for not being too happy about it at all if I recall...
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:46 am

Original Dub wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:But all failed in comparison to be beaten by the scum with all that money and an extra couple of months gelling.

Carry on!

This well?

You got TERRIBLY excited about that afterwards I recall.... and you got stuck into me for not being too happy about it at all if I recall...

I meant Mark's sterling record against his former club, you know the one he hates with passion as any other Blue.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:59 am

Original Dub wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:But all failed in comparison to be beaten by the scum with all that money and an extra couple of months gelling.

Carry on!

This well?

I meant Mark's sterling record against his former club, you know the one he hates with passion as any other Blue.

Oh you're one of those people that think he had us lose to them on purpose?!

Ah hahahahahahahahahaha

You're obsessed! I was only kidding by the way, I don't wish he'd come back - in fact I've never wished for any manager to come back.

Onwards and upwards, its just that you still get so wound up by the mention of his name ;)
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:07 am

Original Dub wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Carry on!

This well?

Oh you're one of those people that think he had us lose to them on purpose?!

Ah hahahahahahahahahaha

You're obsessed! I was only kidding by the way, I don't wish he'd come back - in fact I've never wished for any manager to come back.

Onwards and upwards, its just that you still get so wound up by the mention of his name ;)

Yeah, a great conspiration theorists, me.

I was joking as well.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:56 pm

Green in blue wrote:my target was 70 points and 6th in the league. interesting

here's the proof
[youtube]kQylkfpgEag[/youtube]
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:06 pm

Don't you think its time to get rid of the Hughes thread now? Its been months. There's nothing new to add. Time to move on no?
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Postby john68 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:13 am

Even as a Hughes supporter, I have to note that Hughes was not tewlling the whole truth in that clip. He qualifies the target of 6th place and 70 pts by adding that it was the target set "at the beginning of the season".

Public statements made by the club after the start of the season made it clear that Hughes had been given the money to spend on players that had been originally projected over several transfer windows...all in one go. It was made public knowledge that this was because the targets had been changed.

It was discussed on this forum at the time and it was believed by many that this change was because of the proposed UeFA financial rule changes on CL qualification.

Mr Hughes was telling the truth...but not all of it.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby btajim » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:46 am

Hughes made himself an achievable target that he knew he was likely to be able to better? Sounds like a shrewd move on his part.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:23 am

btajim wrote:Hughes made himself an achievable target that he knew he was likely to be able to better? Sounds like a shrewd move on his part.

Maybe shrewd move on his part but not our part. Probably got him the boot as well, showing the owners that he didn't think he had it in him to reach targets OWNERS set.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:41 am

btajim wrote:Hughes made himself an achievable target that he knew he was likely to be able to better? Sounds like a shrewd move on his part.

Maybe shrewd move on his part but not our part. Probably got him the boot as well, showing the owners that he didn't think he had it in him to reach targets OWNERS set.

No, fans/owners panicking got him the boot and the "trajectory of points" looks pretty much the same, so its a shame.

Oh well, he ain't coming back... :))
Original Dub

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:58 am

Original Dub wrote:

No, fans/owners panicking got him the boot and the "trajectory of points" looks pretty much the same, so its a shame.

Some argue persuasively that Hughes actually self-selected his December demise. At the November Abu Dhabi review he apparently wanted considerable extra spending in the January window and this request was met with dismay and refusal by our owner. The Burnley draw, the friendly defeat in AD and this lack of support, combined with no new contract offer and rumours of Jose all contributed to his "back me or sack me" ultimatum. Our owner decided on the latter course it is alleged.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:18 am

Original Dub wrote:

Surely you can't be having a pop at our wonderful owners? No, I refuse to believe it.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:40 am

Kiss_The_Goat wrote:Don't you think its time to get rid of the Hughes thread now? Its been months. There's nothing new to add. Time to move on no?

"What's that he just said???"
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Original Dub » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:55 am

Original Dub wrote:

Surely you can't be having a pop at our wonderful owners? No, I refuse to believe it.

I hate them for what they did to Mark. I will never forgive them.

I wish they'd leave and Mark would come back. In fact, if Mark takes the Celtic job, I'm switching to Celtic.

I'm Irish anyway....
Original Dub

Postby btajim » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:42 pm

Hughes got paid off. Nice Christmas Present!

The targets will have been agreed by both parties and City went back on their word. It'll be interesting to see what they do if Mancini doesn't make 4th. That's the target he's been set.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum