The hughes Thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The hughes Thread

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:44 am

Reading this thread makes me wonder if people over the previous 18 months had been watching a different team.

Hughes attacking and cavalier style is a total and utter myth. We had a run of form from West Ham(h) Sunderland (a), Pompey (h) early last season where we won 3 games convincingly in short space of time. We attacked well vs Liverpool despite the defeat, and for the rest of the season we turned in 5 noteworthy performances, vs Stoke, Arsenal, Hull, Hamburg at home and Schalke away.

That is a season of 8 maybe 9 good ATTACKING performances amongst a total of 56 games. Have people forgotten about Midgetland, Copenhagen, Aalborg, Brighton, WIgan, Bolton, Middlsborough, West Brom, Spurs, Forest, Pompey, West Ham, Fulham, which are vying for positions as the most spineless, impotent displays from any Manchester CIty side in history?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Rag_hater » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:46 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I should probably do that!

Thing is I'm not even arsed he's gone if we play like 2nd half v Chelsea. I only liked him because I thought he was doing ok & played good attacking football. If that hadn't continued to improve I'd have wanted him replaced. I just want to see quality football & I don't really care who's in charge as long as they provide it, they don't even have to provide trophies or top 4 at this stage for me, just good football & a good attempt to get there.

Rag Hater wrote:I can sit through most borefest quite easily thats why I sat through the games we played against Fulham and Birmingham which were pretty boring.And teams managed by Hughes.There were probably many others but they were so boring I've erased them from memory.All this BS about Hughes providing thrilling football is a load of rubbish,he was guilty of plenty of boring matches.
And I cant believe you say that a manager who got us less points,more losses and a worse league position than his predecessor to is not settling for a bit of success and deserves more time.How is that not lowering your expectations?

Every team in the world has a percentage of boring games. You didn't find the football entertaining but some people did including most neutrals who often commented on it. Neutrals haven't enjoyed watching us much since then & often comment on it. I haven't enjoyed a home game since Hughes left & rarely an away game but I enjoyed the 2nd half v Chelsea very much. However, I don't go to away games anymore & I pay money to watch all the home games so I want good football there whoever provides it. I hope & believe Mancini will start to do that now the turmoil of Hughes' sacking & changing methods is wearing off the players.

I don't see how my standards could have dropped seeing as we were right on target for everything I'd hoped for at the moment Hughes was sacked so I was gutted when it happened. I don't want Mancini sacking either but I recon they have a plan for Mourinho if he'll come so it doesn't matter what I want.

Fair enough.I agree with most of your points.But if you accept(along with most other people I would suppose) that most teams will churn out a dull game every now and then I cant see why Roberto is coming in for stick about the entertainment value of the games we are producing at the moment.The cup game at home against them I found quite entertaining and am suprised a few more didn't.
And the projections for Hughes meeting the targets were based on half a season which assumed on two home victories which we went on to achieve.But if the projections were done from the games upto that point we were falling behind.
And if Jose does come in the summer I suggest you stock up on the prozac as I reckon he will drive a few mad on here.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby btajim » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:37 pm

BobKowalski wrote:like there was a sizeable section of fans calling for his head during games or chanting 'sack the red cunt' from day 1.

This point interested me quite considerably. I'd extend what you're saying by bringing up cases of Blue on Blue abuse. You were called names, sworn at, backhandedly threatened, insulted and generally shat on if you dared defend the Man after a narrow defeat last season. It'd go on for 12+ hours for a huge amount of Games in 08/09. And, in the real World, the trouble after West Brom Away was well doumented from everyone who witnessed it.

It made me ashamed to support Manchester City.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby BobKowalski » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:45 pm

btajim wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:like there was a sizeable section of fans calling for his head during games or chanting 'sack the red cunt' from day 1.

This point interested me quite considerably. I'd extend what you're saying by bringing up cases of Blue on Blue abuse. You were called names, sworn at, backhandedly threatened, insulted and generally shat on if you dared defend the Man after a narrow defeat last season. It'd go on for 12+ hours for a huge amount of Games in 08/09. And, in the real World, the trouble after West Brom Away was well doumented from everyone who witnessed it.

Can't recall ever defending Hughes so I guess I didn't see it from that perspective. I take your point though. My views on Hughes and his tenure as manager are well documented to the point of tedium so I am going to shut up on the subject.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:51 pm

BobKowalski wrote:My views on Hughes and his tenure as manager are well documented to the point of tedium so I am going to shut up on the subject.

thank fuck for that bob, if i had to read another of your sycophantic hughes-licking posts about how great he was and blah blah blah i think i would hurl my PC at my housemate's face.
The Man In Blue

Postby BobKowalski » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:03 pm

The Man In Blue wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:My views on Hughes and his tenure as manager are well documented to the point of tedium so I am going to shut up on the subject.

thank fuck for that bob, if i had to read another of your sycophantic hughes-licking posts about how great he was and blah blah blah i think i would hurl my PC at my housemate's face.

I guess I was a bit over the top with the man love for the Welsh Wizard. As pennance I will crawl under my Mark Hughes duvet and desist from posting for 48 hours.

I'm keeping the 'Hughes is God' wallpaper on my PC though and a pox on all you haters of the grey fox.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:21 am

johnpb78 wrote:Reading this thread makes me wonder if people over the previous 18 months had been watching a different team.

Hughes attacking and cavalier style is a total and utter myth. We had a run of form from West Ham(h) Sunderland (a), Pompey (h) early last season where we won 3 games convincingly in short space of time. We attacked well vs Liverpool despite the defeat, and for the rest of the season we turned in 5 noteworthy performances, vs Stoke, Arsenal, Hull, Hamburg at home and Schalke away.

That is a season of 8 maybe 9 good ATTACKING performances amongst a total of 56 games. Have people forgotten about Midgetland, Copenhagen, Aalborg, Brighton, WIgan, Bolton, Middlsborough, West Brom, Spurs, Forest, Pompey, West Ham, Fulham, which are vying for positions as the most spineless, impotent displays from any Manchester CIty side in history?

No, if they had they'd've posted stuff like 'every game under Hughes was wonderful from the moment he came' but they haven't have they? No one's said anything in huge praise of him really have they? Nor has anyone said he's the worlds greatest manager or anything like that. In fact all anyone's said, as far as I can see, is that some were enjoying the football better. I should imagine that is based mainly on this season too. Even so, the same people who've spent 2 seasons slaughtering him are turning up one by one to tell anyone that did enjoy his football, how they were wrong to do so & actually they weren't really entertained at all, they're either lying or they just imagined it, presumably because they all loved him so much & were blinded by his ex rag rugged persona.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby btajim » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:42 am

BobKowalski wrote:
btajim wrote:This point interested me quite considerably. I'd extend what you're saying by bringing up cases of Blue on Blue abuse. You were called names, sworn at, backhandedly threatened, insulted and generally shat on if you dared defend the Man after a narrow defeat last season. It'd go on for 12+ hours for a huge amount of Games in 08/09. And, in the real World, the trouble after West Brom Away was well doumented from everyone who witnessed it.

Can't recall ever defending Hughes so I guess I didn't see it from that perspective. I take your point though. My views on Hughes and his tenure as manager are well documented to the point of tedium so I am going to shut up on the subject.

It's a shame that last season's posts are pretty much gone because I could give you links to some of the threads that were started. A 3-2 win over Twente wasn't good enough and neither was a 1-1 draw at Fulham. The "Hughes Out" thread which was started at half time in the first leg at Hamburg was what finished it for me. I hated Kevin Keegan towards the end and I was considering stopping my active support of the Club before Pearce left (bored out of my tiny mind) - but nothing upon nothing topped some of the crap being knocked back and forth last season. I didn't recognise the Fans of my Club.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:02 am

btajim wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
btajim wrote:This point interested me quite considerably. I'd extend what you're saying by bringing up cases of Blue on Blue abuse. You were called names, sworn at, backhandedly threatened, insulted and generally shat on if you dared defend the Man after a narrow defeat last season. It'd go on for 12+ hours for a huge amount of Games in 08/09. And, in the real World, the trouble after West Brom Away was well doumented from everyone who witnessed it.

It's a shame that last season's posts are pretty much gone because I could give you links to some of the threads that were started. A 3-2 win over Twente wasn't good enough and neither was a 1-1 draw at Fulham. The "Hughes Out" thread which was started at half time in the first leg at Hamburg was what finished it for me. I hated Kevin Keegan towards the end and I was considering stopping my active support of the Club before Pearce left (bored out of my tiny mind) - but nothing upon nothing topped some of the crap being knocked back and forth last season. I didn't recognise the Fans of my Club.

I'd actually quit coming on here last year as it was ruining an otherwise enjoyable season & I figured there were no feasable series of results that would change it. I only came back when they'd sacked him.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Rag_hater » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:52 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:Reading this thread makes me wonder if people over the previous 18 months had been watching a different team.

No, if they had they'd've posted stuff like 'every game under Hughes was wonderful from the moment he came' but they haven't have they? No one's said anything in huge praise of him really have they? Nor has anyone said he's the worlds greatest manager or anything like that. In fact all anyone's said, as far as I can see, is that some were enjoying the football better. I should imagine that is based mainly on this season too. Even so, the same people who've spent 2 seasons slaughtering him are turning up one by one to tell anyone that did enjoy his football, how they were wrong to do so & actually they weren't really entertained at all, they're either lying or they just imagined it, presumably because they all loved him so much & were blinded by his ex rag rugged persona.

There was a point last year when the Hughes debate was in full flow that someone said Hughes was the best manager in the world.
So your point about there being huge praise of him is a bit of the mark.
Rag_hater

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:39 am

Rag_hater wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

There was a point last year when the Hughes debate was in full flow that someone said Hughes was the best manager in the world.

I'm talking about on this thread but I very much doubt in the past you'd find many people on this site or anywhere else who said anything more than they thought he was doing a good job & deserved to continue for a while longer to see if he could go further.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Original Dub » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:44 am

Rag_hater wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

You're either lying or you've completely gotten wrong.

As I recall, John68 said at the time he felt Hughes was the best manager for us RIGHT NOW. I agreed because there was nobody who had built a team INTO a top four side and Hughes had already built a prem side into Uefa Cup qualifiers on a shoe string.

If you are going to make accusations that someone specifically said "Mark Hughes is the best manager in the world" then name them or else say you got it wrong. Because if you've no proof, its a bit silly really and you're merely trying to sensationalise an argument.

BTW Ted, you're dead right - I don't remember anyone saying they loved Hughes, they thought he was magnificent, they wanted him here for life etc... all I remember is people going crazy when anyone said he was the right man for the job or they enjoyed his football, which had never happened before that I can remember.

That's the difference I suppose.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:54 am

Original Dub wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

You're either lying or you've completely gotten wrong.

As I recall, John68 said at the time he felt Hughes was the best manager for us RIGHT NOW. I agreed because there was nobody who had built a team INTO a top four side and Hughes had already built a prem side into Uefa Cup qualifiers on a shoe string.

If you are going to make accusations that someone specifically said "Mark Hughes is the best manager in the world" then name them or else say you got it wrong. Because if you've no proof, its a bit silly really and you're merely trying to sensationalise an argument.

BTW Ted, you're dead right - I don't remember anyone saying they loved Hughes, they thought he was magnificent, they wanted him here for life etc... all I remember is people going crazy when anyone said he was the right man for the job or they enjoyed his football, which had never happened before that I can remember.

That's the difference I suppose.

Barcelona & having a club style of play just got a mention in another thread. I would rather have a manager who established an identity throughout the club & grew with it like rags & Barca have done rather than immediately hiring whoever's deemed to be the best at any given time & changing everything to suit them, but I think we've missed that opportunity now & gone down the Chelsea road of swapping & changing managers instead. It'd be nice to think Mancini would start a dynasty at the club but I don't think that's why he's here & there's no fucking chance Jose would do that.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:09 pm

Ted, Ra Hater is referring to me.
But in honesty, Mr Rag hater is being a cunt...He knows full well that his reference is out of context and is not the whole truth. He has deliberately missed out the significant points of that argument that qualified it.
He knows full well what was meant at the time. it was explained clearly and simply at the time, several times by a number of posters.
I have told him about doing this several times, yet once again Rag Hater has taken my words and twisted them into something that he knows wasn't not meant.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

The point is that out of 56 games last season, 8 or 9 of them were good examples of a decent style of football. The remainder, particularly away from home were much the same as we have now, not particularly entertaining, more often than not totally ineffective, showing little heart and fight

The difference to Mancini is that we knew that Hughes' side had it in them to turn in a good performance, wheras with the current manager we have little evidence that this is the case - this for me often made it all the more frustrating when we played poorly. It seemed as though the good performances came about so rarely, they could almost be described as blips in what was otherwise a horrendous catalogue of insipid performances and displays.

I am not trying to re-write history with what I am saying, it is a fact that our style of play under Hughes stunk the majority of the time.

Admittedly it now stinks most of the time also............. :o(
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:27 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

The point is that out of 56 games last season, 8 or 9 of them were good examples of a decent style of football. The remainder, particularly away from home were much the same as we have now, not particularly entertaining, more often than not totally ineffective, showing little heart and fight

The difference to Mancini is that we knew that Hughes' side had it in them to turn in a good performance, wheras with the current manager we have little evidence that this is the case - this for me often made it all the more frustrating when we played poorly. It seemed as though the good performances came about so rarely, they could almost be described as blips in what was otherwise a horrendous catalogue of insipid performances and displays.

I am not trying to re-write history with what I am saying, it is a fact that our style of play under Hughes stunk the majority of the time.

Admittedly it now stinks most of the time also, but we have 45 minutes vs Chelsea and the Wolves game to hang our hopes on as the shining beacon of hope, in the same way that the few good games under Hughes reign seemed to give the impression that we played consistently better style of football throughout his tenure.

Last season was learning about the players, trying them out & seeing who stays or goes. Hughes' football wasn't particularly entertaining to start with, it became so over time. Nothing special about it on the whole last season but still on occasions great football as well as awful football. This season has been about starting to build a team after doing some weeding out. One or two bad performances, one or two bad defensive but good attacking performances one or two brilliant all round performances top 6 & a cup semi. All was well imo.

I enjoyed our football in some of the drawn games very much. I thought our attacking comeback v Burnley was fantastic as was our attacking v Bolton & some parts of the rags' league defeat. Individual defensive mistakes marred that as they have for Mancini but I can only remeber Keegan's 1st divison season as being as entertaining otherwise I'd have to go back to the 70's. I'm now hoping, after Chelsea, that Mancini has turned the corner & like Hughes did, will become more positive, as he has the tools to do it.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Original Dub » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Admittedly it now stinks most of the time also............. :o(

You're right, a lot of what we played last season wasn't the football we are refferring to. 56 games in one season is a lot for the strenght and quality of squad we had. I'm not sure its what Ted means, but from point of view, I could we were trying to play football in the right way and as time wore on and the squad improved in both quality and numbers, we were still playing football in the right way and had become the hardest team in Europe to beat. The only performance I felt completely deflated with was Spurs (which was exactly like the Evertone game under Roberto) and unlike many on here, I didn't view that run of draws as a "disgrace". I was unhappy with some of the results, but delighted with the draw away to wigan with ten men for so long, delighted with a point from Anfield and Villa Park, displeased with draw away at Bolton and pissed off with home draws against Fulham and Burnley, but it was no different than the run liverpool went on last season and they finished second.... overall though, the PERFORMANCES were pretty good even though we got sucker punched a few times.

This season I have enjoyed the football for 90% of hughes games and 10% of Mancini's games. The performances are different, the results reasonably similar, but as you say the second half against Chelsea has hopefully given us hope...

Every manager turns out shit games that don't represent the brand of football the club normally gives - ask Wenger for a long period last season - but IMO Hughes gave us the most attacking and exciting football I'd seen since Keegan in Div1 and I think we were heading in the right direction. Please God we still are, but all I want is some attacking football and a long term successful manager.

Is that too much to ask after all these years and all this money we have?!!
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:33 pm

john68 wrote:Ted, Ra Hater is referring to me.
But in honesty, Mr Rag hater is being a cunt...He knows full well that his reference is out of context and is not the whole truth. He has deliberately missed out the significant points of that argument that qualified it.
He knows full well what was meant at the time. it was explained clearly and simply at the time, several times by a number of posters.
I have told him about doing this several times, yet once again Rag Hater has taken my words and twisted them into something that he knows wasn't not meant.

I know the context you were refering to & I agree with you & I know that no one has claimed Hughes was the world's best manager. I also thought he was just about the perfect & best bloke for what we claimed we wanted to do at the time but that plan has changed now.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:34 pm

I only parially agree with that John as i don't think it was a bad a picture as you are painting but you are right in the fact that we fell short on many occasion under Hughes. I considered that to be normal and believed as time went on, it would slowly change for the better.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Rag_hater » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:52 pm

john68 wrote:Ted, Ra Hater is referring to me.

Cunt hey, charming.
I dont give a fuck what excuses and context you dreamt up to justify your ridiculous claim that clueless was the best manager in the world.The fact is you said it.The fact is as youv'e owned up to it and you have owned up to saying it again here and there were some daft enough to agree with you.
Rag_hater

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum