The hughes Thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The hughes Thread

Postby Original Dub » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:50 am

I miss Hughes.
Original Dub

Postby BobKowalski » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:42 am

I don't. Miss him that is.

I did feel for him though after listening to him at the Chelsea game. The sacking was a big blow and he genuinely didn't see it coming. Which after the Spurs game I find astonishing as it was a 90 minute suicide note. Anyway Hughes will join the list of 1 season managers who didn't for whatever reason make the cut. I will be interested to see where he goes next. Personally I think he should look to work abroad otherwise he will just end up like Fat Sam managing lower end PL clubs and hoping for a decent cup run.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:48 am

BobKowalski wrote:I don't. Miss him that is.

I did feel for him though after listening to him at the Chelsea game. The sacking was a big blow and he genuinely didn't see it coming. Which after the Spurs game I find astonishing as it was a 90 minute suicide note. Anyway Hughes will join the list of 1 season managers who didn't for whatever reason make the cut. I will be interested to see where he goes next. Personally I think he should look to work abroad otherwise he will just end up like Fat Sam managing lower end PL clubs and hoping for a decent cup run.

I fully agree with this.

He is unlikely to receive another big job in England any time soon and no matter what people think about him, for owners of really big clubs he is damaged goods right now. By going abroad and being success there he could prove that he actually IS up and coming young manager looking to improve himself as a professional and prove himself. EXACTLY the main reason why I never wanted him as I honestly don't think he is like that as a manager. He loves his comfort zone and for any professional to step into that next level you have to challenge yourself.

It will certainly be interesting to see what he does next. Going to Blackburn or Bolton or Stoke, places that would suit him the way he is as a manager RIGHT NOW, would in no way improve him as a manager at this stage of his career. But that's the kind of place I see him going in future. Or Newcastle or perhaps O'Neill's successor in Villa once he goes to Rags.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Original Dub » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:10 pm

I did feel for him though after listening to him at the Chelsea game. The sacking was a big blow and he genuinely didn't see it coming. Which after the [strike]Spurs[/strike] Everton game I find astonishing as it was a 90 minute suicide note. Anyway Hughes will join the list of 1 season managers who didn't for whatever reason make the cut. I will be interested to see where he goes next. Personally I think he should look to work abroad otherwise he will just end up like Fat Sam managing lower end PL clubs and hoping for a decent cup run.

Hmmmm...
Original Dub

Postby BobKowalski » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Original Dub wrote:

I did feel for him though after listening to him at the Chelsea game. The sacking was a big blow and he genuinely didn't see it coming. Which after the [strike]Spurs[/strike] Everton game I find astonishing as it was a 90 minute suicide note. Anyway Hughes will join the list of 1 season managers who didn't for whatever reason make the cut. I will be interested to see where he goes next. Personally I think he should look to work abroad otherwise he will just end up like Fat Sam managing lower end PL clubs and hoping for a decent cup run.

Hmmmm...

I have an image of you circling round my comment and prodding it suspiciously with a long stick as if it were booby trapped
BobKowalski

Postby Original Dub » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:56 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Hmmmm...

I have an image of you circling round my comment and prodding it suspiciously with a long stick as if it were booby trapped

No mate, I'm not even in the mood for a hughes/mancini debate would you believe? I just genuinely think that the similarities between the everton game and the spurs game are huge. One was a suicide note...
Original Dub

Postby john68 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:26 pm

Antti,
Personally, I find it quite disgusting that you put your own agenda in front of that of the success of the club you purport to support. To make matters worse, unlike a few others who were quite open from the start and consistant throughout the debate by being honest about their hatred of Hughes and the way it coloured their judgement and argument (which I am happy to accept), you consistantly and persistantly used dishonest arguments, made things up and spewed your hatred, whilst puruing an agenda that was for the benefit of your negative emotions and not that of the club.

Please can you give your stated opinion on Brian Kidd....and please don't give me any shit about him previously playing for City etc. Unlike Hughes, he was a rag supporter from an early age in Collyhurst, a turncoat from a family of Blues who went through the rag youth system, became an integral part of the Busby Babes and represented them against City on many many occasions.
In more recent times, he was the 2nd in command to taggart, having previously been the egg that spawned the likes of Beckham, the Nevilles, Scholes, Giggs, Sharp and many other young raglets who caused damage to us.

I can accept your rag hatred of Hughes, I feel the same about the likes of Keane and several others, but to use the false arguments and to deny on many occasions that your agenda was a City one and not an Antti one was disgusting. Had you been honest enough to argue that it weas simply your hatred driving you, you would have earned far more respect...YOU DIDN'T.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby BobKowalski » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:30 pm

Original Dub wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Hmmmm...

No mate, I'm not even in the mood for a hughes/mancini debate would you believe? I just genuinely think that the similarities between the everton game and the spurs game are huge. One was a suicide note...

Ok. Didn't notice that you had amended the games. I don't see similiarities but can't be arsed getting into a Hughes/Mancini debate either.
BobKowalski

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

I fully agree with this.

He is unlikely to receive another big job in England any time soon and no matter what people think about him, for owners of really big clubs he is damaged goods right now. By going abroad and being success there he could prove that he actually IS up and coming young manager looking to improve himself as a professional and prove himself. EXACTLY the main reason why I never wanted him as I honestly don't think he is like that as a manager. He loves his comfort zone and for any professional to step into that next level you have to challenge yourself.
It will certainly be interesting to see what he does next. Going to Blackburn or Bolton or Stoke, places that would suit him the way he is as a manager RIGHT NOW, would in no way improve him as a manager at this stage of his career. But that's the kind of place I see him going in future. Or Newcastle or perhaps O'Neill's successor in Villa once he goes to Rags.

How about leaving a club where you could have a job for ten years to manage a club where 95% of the fans would like to kick the shit out of you, owned by a nutcase with a court case & possible imprisonment over his head, who've just completed one of the most drawn out bizarre sackings of all time, of a manager who got them into the top 10? Has there ever been, in the history of football, an example of a manager going into a less comfortable environment?

I know you hate Hughes mate but come on.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john68 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:54 pm

You just couldn't make it up.....Oh you did Antti....erm!
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby BobKowalski » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:41 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

I fully agree with this.

How about leaving a club where you could have a job for ten years to manage a club where 95% of the fans would like to kick the shit out of you, owned by a nutcase with a court case & possible imprisonment over his head, who've just completed one of the most drawn out bizarre sackings of all time, of a manager who got them into the top 10? Has there ever been, in the history of football, an example of a manager going into a less comfortable environment?

Yeah come on. Hughes swapping Blackburn for City was like Fat Sam swapping Bolton for Newcastle. City like Newcastle at the time were an underachieving PL club with an impatient fanbase and a cock for an owner yet I don't think anyone would seriously suggest that Fat Sam deserves an award for bravery in taking on the Newcastle job anymore that Hughes does for taking on the City job

It doesn't even compare to say Mourinho swanning into a foreign country with the task of winning the PL with players he didn't know and in a league he hadn't managed before. When Hughes takes on the AC Milan or Inter job and has to contend with a foreign league, foreign media, foreign language and the expectation that you have to actually win something or get crucified then I'll give him respect.

My criticism of British managers and the reason they are slipping down the rankings is that they are too insular and do not look to test themselves abroad and make themselves better managers. Mourinho is the same age as Hughes and has managed in 3 different countries. Mancini, irrespective of what you think of his style of football or tactics, has also deliberately taken himself out of a familar enviroment and sought to test himself in the PL. Mancini was sacked, like Hughes was sacked, and relocated to England to learn the language and culture prior to landing a job here. If Hughes does the same as part of a process to improve his managerial and coaching skills then I would respect that in the same way I give MaClaren his due for working abroad. Equally if Hughes just hangs around waiting for a PL job he will just join a long list of British managers who just shuffle around various clubs at the lower to middle range of the PL slowly going nowhere.

This is nothing to do with 'hating Hughes' but if 'hate' is blinding people in the judgement of Hughes then so is the 'misty eyed' view where somehow Hughes taking on the City job leads to statements like

"Has there ever been, in the history of football, an example of a manager going into a less comfortable environment?"

Perhaps insularity is not just a feature of British managers. We don't like the emphasis on tactics, or wingers swapping around, or players playing out of position, zonal marking and if training isn't blood and guts tearing into each other in a full on footie match its far too soft.

I'm all for giving something different a try. Its not as if doing it the old fashioned way has been a resounding fucking success for the last 30 odd years.

Lastly the Hughes 'comfort zone' tag is copyright one Garry Cook who said this in an interview shortly after he employed Hughes. Maybe people should take it up with Cook if they have a problem with it.
Last edited by BobKowalski on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobKowalski

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:28 pm

john68 wrote:Antti,
Personally, I find it quite disgusting that you put your own agenda in front of that of the success of the club you purport to support. To make matters worse, unlike a few others who were quite open from the start and consistant throughout the debate by being honest about their hatred of Hughes and the way it coloured their judgement and argument (which I am happy to accept), you consistantly and persistantly used dishonest arguments, made things up and spewed your hatred, whilst puruing an agenda that was for the benefit of your negative emotions and not that of the club.

Please can you give your stated opinion on Brian Kidd....and please don't give me any shit about him previously playing for City etc. Unlike Hughes, he was a rag supporter from an early age in Collyhurst, a turncoat from a family of Blues who went through the rag youth system, became an integral part of the Busby Babes and represented them against City on many many occasions.
In more recent times, he was the 2nd in command to taggart, having previously been the egg that spawned the likes of Beckham, the Nevilles, Scholes, Giggs, Sharp and many other young raglets who caused damage to us.

I can accept your rag hatred of Hughes, I feel the same about the likes of Keane and several others, but to use the false arguments and to deny on many occasions that your agenda was a City one and not an Antti one was disgusting. Had you been honest enough to argue that it weas simply your hatred driving you, you would have earned far more respect...YOU DIDN'T.

that's bollocks. I hate Hughes for his rag past but that was NOT the sole reason why I didn't want him. Like I've said before if he had had SUPERIOR track record in past jobs then you wouldn't have heard argument from me. Just like in Kidd's case, he has proven to be one of the best in the world in his job and I will tolerate him because of that. But for me there's nothing between likes of Fat Sam and Hughes as managers. Average bulk managers you'll find thirteen in dozen. So if we are appointing such average talent, I don't see why we would go for rag fuck like him.

Understand?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby btajim » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:18 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:He is unlikely to receive another big job in England any time soon and no matter what people think about him, for owners of really big clubs he is damaged goods right now. By going abroad and being success there he could prove that he actually IS up and coming young manager looking to improve himself as a professional and prove himself. EXACTLY the main reason why I never wanted him as I honestly don't think he is like that as a manager. He loves his comfort zone and for any professional to step into that next level you have to challenge yourself.

Can you define a big Job? City weren't owned by Abu Dhabi Billionaires when he was headhunted from Blackburn. Hughes is employable with Newcastle, Sunderland, West Ham and Leeds, IMHO. All Clubs on a traditionally equal standing with City.

The number one problem was that he was never the Sheikh's choice. Takeovers so often result in a change of Manager.

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Just like in Kidd's case, he has proven to be one of the best in the world in his job and I will tolerate him because of that.

Brian Kidd's recent jobs have included Portsmouth and Sheffield United. Hardly an Assistant Manager in demand. Indeed, an Assistant Manager promoted from our own Youth Academy. He was given to Mancini as an existing link between the Players and the new Management. I don't think Brian Kidd will be Assistant Manager at City by the end of next season. Either Mancini will appoint his own man - or the next Manager will.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:33 pm

Interesting Jim, where will Hughes go next? Looking at the state of clubs and his previous assignments, I can see him taking over from Steve Bruce. Sunderland don't mind spending a bit of money but have brought in plenty of dross (Quantity rather Quality) since they got back in the Prem. At least Hughes would use their money wisely and would get them in a decent position.

Shame if it was to happen though, 'cos Quinney would go down in my estimations. Keane and then Bruce may be a coincidence, however if he's going for trips, then there's something seriously wrong!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:14 am

BobKowalski wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I fully agree with this.

Yeah come on. Hughes swapping Blackburn for City was like Fat Sam swapping Bolton for Newcastle.

The difference is fairly obvious isn't it? You know it & I know it . I find the hatred quite sad & the hypocricy of some posts quite beyond belief but I don't like him half as much as some of you hate him so I can't be arsed. If Mancini turns out to be better than him, I'll be glad he's gone. Just wish he'd been in charge for the cup games though as I feel we may have won something.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:06 am

I fully understand....and Antti...why do I just NOT believe you?

That was a load of bollocks and you and I both know it. Your hatred of Hughes drove every initial argument you put forward. It was the motor factor behind your opposition to him. It was the reason you posted Lie after lie about him and it was hypocritical to say the least.

...and once again I know it and so do you.....understand????
john68

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:58 am

john68 wrote:Antti,

that's bollocks. I hate Hughes for his rag past but that was NOT the sole reason why I didn't want him. Like I've said before if he had had SUPERIOR track record in past jobs then you wouldn't have heard argument from me. Just like in Kidd's case, he has proven to be one of the best in the world in his job and I will tolerate him because of that. But for me there's nothing between likes of Fat Sam and Hughes as managers. Average bulk managers you'll find thirteen in dozen. So if we are appointing such average talent, I don't see why we would go for rag fuck like him.

Understand?

Clearly understood by all I think - you spout bollocks and squirm and invent things when challenged
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby BobKowalski » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:33 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I fully agree with this.

Yeah come on. Hughes swapping Blackburn for City was like Fat Sam swapping Bolton for Newcastle.

The difference is fairly obvious isn't it? You know it & I know it . I find the hatred quite sad & the hypocricy of some posts quite beyond belief but I don't like him half as much as some of you hate him so I can't be arsed. If Mancini turns out to be better than him, I'll be glad he's gone. Just wish he'd been in charge for the cup games though as I feel we may have won something.

My comment was less about Hughes then about your statement that Hughes taking on the City job was probably the biggest step out of a comfort zone made by any manager in the history of football. I mean seriously. Manager of small midtable NW PL club takes on job of bigger midtable PL club. Like that has never happened before and the Fat Sam comparison is on the money. As I said what will define Hughes career is what he does next.
BobKowalski

Postby dazby » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:11 am

I finally watched the Chelsea game today with Leslie in commentary. I thought he was brilliant. Made me lament the fact he wasn't in the job anymore.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:38 am

BobKowalski wrote:My comment was less about Hughes then about your statement that Hughes taking on the City job was probably the biggest step out of a comfort zone made by any manager in the history of football. I mean seriously. Manager of small midtable NW PL club takes on job of bigger midtable PL club. Like that has never happened before and the Fat Sam comparison is on the money. As I said what will define Hughes career is what he does next.

You know exactly what I meant by that comment & you know exactly what MH represented to some people & what he had to deal with. You've purposely ignored it again & must think everyone reading that is stupid if they can't see it. I honestly don't understand why you're even bothering to try & argue the point. The continuing comments directed towards him on here are proof that his appointment wasn't a routine one.

Of all the ex players in the history of football that could take the City job, only K**ne, Cant*** or Nev**** would be a more controversial choice. It was the football equivalent of Bin Laden becoming a Rabbi. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it, why bother to pretend otherwise? Anyhow he's gone now, you don't have to suffer the pain of watching him anymore, why not just let it go?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum