POLL - WILL WE FINISH IN THE TOP FOUR?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

TOP FOUR?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes : 84

Re: POLL - WILL WE FINISH IN THE TOP FOUR?

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:31 am

My dear Mr Genius,
What the fuck has Hughes got to with it? Nobody has mentioned him. I am dealing with the present not the past.
Yes we did pick up those points...and so we should...they were among the easiest opponents we'll play all season.
We have got to 4th because of the poor record of every other club around us.

You seem to be a little addicted to Hughes...I hadn't mentioned him.....nor do I care what Spurs are doing either.

My point was entirely about City and how we have played under mancini.

Please try and keep up.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:36 am

Fidel Castro wrote:
the_georgian_genius wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:
john68 wrote:Portsmouth....Hull.....Bolton....Stoke....Blackburn...Wolves...Boro...Scunthorpe...Grind out results against that shower of shite...With our squad, we should blow them off the park. We shouldn't need to grind anything.
We have only played one half decent side...Everton...and we didn't do much fucking grinding then...nor were our powers of grinding up to much against Hull or the rags or the other night at Stoke.

and? we picked up 12 points and progressed in two cups. What about the Burnley, Fulham, Hull, Bolton, Wigan league games and Scunthorpe and Arsenal kids in the cup, in your opinion we should have blown them off the park so why did we only pick up a measley 5 points?

john68 wrote:We have got to 4th on the back of the easiest phase of games of the season....and for the vbest part of that easiest phase...we have played shit.

We have got to 4th by picking up results, something the previous manager failed to do.

john68 wrote:Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Brum, Everton, the rags, Arsenal, Villa...Do you honestly think we can maximise our points potential against these teams by playing frightened football?

Frightened football?

john68 wrote:Or are we gonna cruise to 4th on the back of ground out results at the top teams of Wigan, West Ham or Burnley?

If we had grinded out results under Mark Hughes in that infamous 7 games of successive draws (7 points out of a possible 28 which is relegation form) then we would be cruising to 4th and making the top 3 nervous.

You are so quick to dismiss the win at Wolves and the point at Stoke as games we don't need to grind results from but i will guarentee you that Spurs (loss at wolves) and Liverpool (draw at wolves and stoke) would have loved to have grinded out results there.

Fait play to the voice of the true City fan here actually. Still not optimistic we'll pick up any points against our main rivals the way we are playing atm. But what do I know? I'm not a true supporter...

If you could kindly tell me where i have insuated that i am a true supporter and you aren't then that would be lovely to see as i a fucking confused at the minute. I look forward to your response.

your inverted commas for the word supporters, why???

Supporters are supposed to support the club, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and beleive it all not, i'm not enjoying the current style of football but i am paitent and happy with the results we are getting. If in 2 years once he has bulit his squad, the entertainment has not improved then you will all have a point. In the meantime we should all be supporting the club and not creating this horrible defeatist atmosphere because of the expectations people have.

At the minute its all about getting results and if Mancini doesn't trust Mark Hughes side to play attacking football and get results at the same time then grinding out results will do for me at the moment.

and that is not trying to be the best city fan, it's just fucking realistic.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Fidel Castro » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:42 am

the_georgian_genius wrote:Supporters are supposed to support the club, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and beleive it all not, i'm not enjoying the current style of football but i am paitent and happy with the results we are getting. If in 2 years once he has bulit his squad, the entertainment has not improved then you will all have a point. In the meantime we should all be supporting the club and not creating this horrible defeatist atmosphere because of the expectations people have.

At the minute its all about getting results and if Mancini doesn't trust Mark Hughes side to play attacking football and get results at the same time then grinding out results will do for me at the moment.

Furry muff, still think the inverted commas made you look like an arrogant twunt though ;-)
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:42 am

john68 wrote:My dear Mr Genius,
What the fuck has Hughes got to with it? Nobody has mentioned him. I am dealing with the present not the past.
Yes we did pick up those points...and so we should...they were among the easiest opponents we'll play all season.
We have got to 4th because of the poor record of every other club around us.

You seem to be a little addicted to Hughes...I hadn't mentioned him.....nor do I care what Spurs are doing either.

My point was entirely about City and how we have played under mancini.

Please try and keep up.

It's Mark Hughes team, that is why the fuck Hughes has got to do with it.

Do you think Pep Guardiola would go to Liverpool and get them playing pretty football? No he would evaluate the best way to get results in the meantime before he had a chance to change the personnel himself. Just like Mancini is doing.

Do you think this is how Mancini set up at Inter? No, was it fuck he bought great footballers like Ibrahimovich and Maicon and played decent stuff whilst getting the results. The Inter fans loved him. His first proper signing at City? Adam Johnson, is he the type of player that would fit in a boring negative side?

Everyone just needs to chill the fuck out, if this carries on in 18 months time then i will come back on here and apologise and say i was wrong but you are already booting yet another manager out of the door before he's had time to build his own side. How is that going to change anything? I said when we were first taken over that it would be typical City that we would spend £1bn on the side and still win fuck all. If fans attitudes and paitence doesn't change that joke will become reality.
the_georgian_genius

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:44 am

Fidel Castro wrote:
the_georgian_genius wrote:Supporters are supposed to support the club, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and beleive it all not, i'm not enjoying the current style of football but i am paitent and happy with the results we are getting. If in 2 years once he has bulit his squad, the entertainment has not improved then you will all have a point. In the meantime we should all be supporting the club and not creating this horrible defeatist atmosphere because of the expectations people have.

Furry muff, still think the inverted commas made you look like an arrogant twunt though ;-)

But then again i am the bestest City fan in the land and all the world ;-)
the_georgian_genius

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:48 am

If you have read much on this board over the last few months, you may have noted that far from being pessimistic, I have been more than happy to post and argue, that City can win the league. I have done this several times. I have also been a City supporter since 1956....Now then...Does this make me a better supporter than anyone else?...NO Does it fuck. So just because you are an optimist, neither are you.

If you think that being a supporter means that you only post happy clappy shit then so be it. I am quite happy to analyse and observe and post about my analysis and observations. Sometimes those observations are positive, sometimes, sadly they reflect what I am honestly seeing and what I am seeing at the moment is not that good.
I am not stupid enough to consider that a few points picked up aginst the poorest teams in the league make us candidates for the top. Nor am I stupid enough to consider that beating a couple of teams from a lower league in the cup is any great measure of hoe great we are.
I want City to win the League and think we have the potential to do so. I understand that this will not happen if we continue to play as badly as we are doing recently.
Now what was your point again?
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:00 am

When I voted yes it was in the 'typical CITY' belief that something will 'just happen' to make us stop playing football like we have since xmas - our squad is best - our position is best - OK perhaps our run-in is not best - but if we really are a top 4 side we should breeze it - just need to stop the frightened football and go out there and frighten the opposition
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:01 am

john68 wrote:If you have read much on this board over the last few months, you may have noted that far from being pessimistic, I have been more than happy to post and argue, that City can win the league. I have done this several times. I have also been a City supporter since 1956....Now then...Does this make me a better supporter than anyone else?...NO Does it fuck. So just because you are an optimist, neither are you.?

Fuck me, what is wrong with this place? Where have i said or insinuated that i am a better supporter than anyone else?

john68 wrote:If you think that being a supporter means that you only post happy clappy shit then so be it. I am quite happy to analyse and observe and post about my analysis and observations. Sometimes those observations are positive, sometimes, sadly they reflect what I am honestly seeing and what I am seeing at the moment is not that good..?

Being a supporter doesn't mean posting happy clapping shit, try looking at the bigger picture, a different viewpoint instead of what just goes on on the pitch? You don't think i analyse and observe the current situation? I am doing, i have posted different observations and reasons as to the style of footbal we are playing at the minute. I am not just thinking "oh we play shit football, mancini is shite, we need someone else" like most are, i have already given a view on why we are playing the style of football at the minute.

john68 wrote:I am not stupid enough to consider that a few points picked up aginst the poorest teams in the league make us candidates for the top. Nor am I stupid enough to consider that beating a couple of teams from a lower league in the cup is any great measure of hoe great we are.
I want City to win the League and think we have the potential to do so. I understand that this will not happen if we continue to play as badly as we are doing recently.
Now what was your point again?

Win the league? this squad don't even have the potential to play nice attacking football and pick up results, it is either one of the other so they haven't got a cat in hells chance of winning any leagues.
the_georgian_genius

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:13 am

Now who isn't getting behind the team...hahahahaha.

Any team that can put 3 past the rags at the swamp...and beat Chelsea...and play some of the exciting football we have seen (not recently) certsinly has more potentisal than you give it credit for. Maybe if they were unshackled and allowed to play, we might see some of that potential.
john68

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:21 am

john68 wrote:Now who isn't getting behind the team...hahahahaha.

Any team that can put 3 past the rags at the swamp...and beat Chelsea...and play some of the exciting football we have seen (not recently) certsinly has more potentisal than you give it credit for. Maybe if they were unshackled and allowed to play, we might see some of that potential.

It's a realistic view John, this squad of players can't do both, they can either play the exciting football and not pick up maximum points in the easiest fixtures, or play boring football but pick up maximum pints in the easiest fixtures.

There are many players in this side who have the potential to win the league, a few of them have already been part of that, but we are a long way off that and calling for managers heads after only two months will prolong that further.
the_georgian_genius

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:22 am

Unshackled - that is the key - perhaps too late now as I think that squad belief / morale has deteriorated - hope not
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:47 am

It's a realistic view John, this squad of players can't do both, they can either play the exciting football and not pick up maximum points in the easiest fixtures, or play boring football but pick up maximum pints in the easiest fixtures.

There are many players in this side who have the potential to win the league, a few of them have already been part of that, but we are a long way off that and calling for managers heads after only two months will prolong that further.

Who was calling for anyones head? I certainly didn't.
john68

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:03 am

I voted No, because I see the belief disappearing. However we are in an excellent position and if we were to win the three home games against Spurs, Villa and Scouse, I really believe it would be very difficult for any of those teams to catch us. It's a big 'If" but certainly not impossible.
And trying to be positive, Hull and Stoke were both teams improving and in better form when we played them. If you think back to the Brum away game, we were all saying that was a game we should have won, but in hindsight, a result there was very creditable. It is a golden golden chance we have, but I think we'll have a much clearer idea after Sunday's game.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:14 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I voted No, because I see the belief disappearing. However we are in an excellent position and if we were to win the three home games against Spurs, Villa and Scouse, I really believe it would be very difficult for any of those teams to catch us. It's a big 'If" but certainly not impossible.
And trying to be positive, Hull and Stoke were both teams improving and in better form when we played them. If you think back to the Brum away game, we were all saying that was a game we should have won, but in hindsight, a result there was very creditable. It is a golden golden chance we have, but I think we'll have a much clearer idea after Sunday's game.

Its a good point Piccs.

In fact if you look back through that "utterly disgraceful" run of games, we drew against:

Wigan - they'd just beaten Chelsea and we were down to ten men. utterly unacceptable, yet it was acceptable at Stoke when we'd one extra!

Villa - shame on us!

Brum - were hitting the form of their premier league history I think!

Bolton - drawing at Bolton isn't great, but not too bad at all.

Burnley - very disappointing result.

Liverpool - shame on us!

6 points from six games looks shit, but not half as shit when you break it down.

You can say its in the past, but it is very relevant as it is part of THIS season!!

I'm really unsure if we would draw away at Liverpool and Villa at the moment, or Wigan with ten men, or Birmingham in THAT form they were in.

Maybe that's just because confidence is so low now.
Original Dub

Postby Bingo Lewis » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:28 am

I'll vote after sunday, that will determine how it ends IMO.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:30 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:I'll vote after sunday, that will determine how it ends IMO.

Come on Big Bad Bingo, the question is "now". Show some balls instead of behaving like a big Jessie.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:33 am

Original Dub wrote:Its a good point Piccs.

In fact if you look back through that "utterly disgraceful" run of games, we drew against:

Wigan - they'd just beaten Chelsea and we were down to ten men. utterly unacceptable, yet it was acceptable at Stoke when we'd one extra! We hardly attacked that game either and yet some are complaining now?

Villa - shame on us! Good point

Brum - were hitting the form of their premier league history I think! See Wigan

Bolton - drawing at Bolton isn't great, but not too bad at all. Not bad at all? Don't be silly.

Burnley - very disappointing result. You can say that again

Liverpool - shame on us! Liverpool were in a terrible run of form, without Torres and were shit that day so yes, shame on us, they were there for the taking and we failed, shit result.

6 points from six games looks shit, but not half as shit when you break it down.

You can say its in the past, but it is very relevant as it is part of THIS season!!

I'm really unsure if we would draw away at Liverpool and Villa at the moment, or Wigan with ten men, or Birmingham in THAT form they were in.

Maybe that's just because confidence is so low now.

What about the Hull game at home, 1-1? Is that another shame on us or very dissapointing result?
the_georgian_genius

Postby justlurkin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:04 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
justlurkin wrote:Heart says yes, head says no purely based on Mancini(or Brian Kidd's) tactics. So I'll go with the heart and say yes.

That's an interesting comment! Do you really suspect that the current tactics are Kidd's?

amazing isnt it

Lads,
Maybe I'm being paranoid but Mancini would not know much about the premiership and maybe Kidd is advising him. Just a thought as I'm still baffled as to the tactics Mancini is employing.
justlurkin
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Bingo Lewis » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:I'll vote after sunday, that will determine how it ends IMO.

Come on Big Bad Bingo, the question is "now". Show some balls instead of behaving like a big Jessie.

I honestly have no idea, so any prediction would be innaccurate.
Where the tossing hell have you been anyway?
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:51 pm

I don't seem to have the same amount of time for tossing it off reading and talking shite on mancityfans.net as I used to. I have been an occasional visitor still though. I won't be in the Townley tomorrow as I'm straight to work after the match so no booze for me! But I'll see you soon I'm sure. I don't know the answer to this top four question, but you're right that we will have a better idea after Sunday.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum