POLL - WILL WE FINISH IN THE TOP FOUR?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

TOP FOUR?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes : 84

Re: POLL - WILL WE FINISH IN THE TOP FOUR?

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:51 pm

YES! We're playing like shit and still picking up points. Sooner or later we have to get our form back and then it'll be plain sailing. I think we could even end up 3rd if we click in the next few weeks.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Kiss_The_Goat wrote:YES! We're playing like shit and still picking up points. Sooner or later we have to get our form back and then it'll be plain sailing. I think we could even end up 3rd if we click in the next few weeks.

Has it crossed your mind that we are in form?

Seriously, do you think that this way of playing is unintentional?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:58 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Kiss_The_Goat wrote:YES! We're playing like shit and still picking up points. Sooner or later we have to get our form back and then it'll be plain sailing. I think we could even end up 3rd if we click in the next few weeks.

Please dont depress me. That thought is unbearable.

There is no way that Mancini thinks things are going to plan on the pitch. You can see how frustrated he is on the sidelines. Its still not clicked and we clearly not in form! Or at least I hope not. In terms of performance it surely cant get too much worse?
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:00 pm

Kiss_The_Goat wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

Please dont depress me. That thought is unbearable.

There is no way that Mancini thinks things are going to plan on the pitch. You can see how frustrated he is on the sidelines. Its still not clicked and we clearly not in form! Or at least I hope not. In terms of performance it surely cant get too much worse?

I hope not mate
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Whassat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:06 pm

You dont get anything for free. You have to make sacrifices. To believe in what you are doing. Looking at the team we have on paper I would say 4th spot is ours. With the heavy investments, even without Robinho, we have one hell of a team. I believe that we are in for a thriller of a ride ending with us claiming the 4th spot. The other teams around us arent in better form at the moment. None play with any great length of confidence. Its all about grinding out results and thats whats Mancini is trying to do.
Whassat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City, AIK
My favourite player is: The magician

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Interesting split - I have gone yes as I really think we will
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby justlurkin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Heart says yes, head says no purely based on Mancini(or Brian Kidd's) tactics. So I'll go with the heart and say yes.
justlurkin
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:53 pm

justlurkin wrote:Heart says yes, head says no purely based on Mancini(or Brian Kidd's) tactics. So I'll go with the heart and say yes.

OP said betting with everything you own (although dont know when he added that)

Fancy changing your mind?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby halnone » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:10 pm

voted yes. can't see us performing this bad for much longer. although i could be wrong. but Ive always been an optimistic person :-)
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby avoidconfusion » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:38 pm

Can't see it happening, even if we were to earn enough points to get 4th the Pompey bust will make sure we won't finish in the top 4.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:55 pm

justlurkin wrote:Heart says yes, head says no purely based on Mancini(or Brian Kidd's) tactics. So I'll go with the heart and say yes.

That's an interesting comment! Do you really suspect that the current tactics are Kidd's?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby aaron bond » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:17 am

I voted yes. We're still getting results and believe we have a better squad than our competitors.

I don't think things are nearly as bad as most people on here seem to think. When we player the 'weaker' teams, the players don't always get up for it as easily, just like the fans don't when supporting them. So when we beat Portsmouth or Bolton at home 2-0, and haven't turned on the style, it doesn't really matter becase we got the result.

It's also ludicrous for some people to suggest Mancini is happy with our current performances. It's obvious from watching him on the sidelines that he shares our frustrations. Furthermore, do you honestly expect him to slag us off in his post-match interviews? No half-decent manager does that! He needs to keep our players' confidence levels high and slagging us off in the media, particularly when most of the media are out to get us anyway, will not help our cause.

I've seen so many diabolical performances watching City in the last 20 years that a few now when also winning isn't going to do me any harm. Not only that, we performed abysmally so many times under Hughes I lost count. He may have encouraged attacking football, but that isn't any good when we shipped in so many goals and blew the chance to win in so many games.

When we sacked Hughes, Mancini wouldn't have been my first choice, but now we have him I do believe he can take us to the top 4. He is working on the defence. There is still a long way to go, but it has improved since he's taken over. If he can incorporate his more defensive mentality, with some of the attacking football we know our players are capable of, then we'll be in a great position to take that Champions League spot.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:17 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

That's an interesting comment! Do you really suspect that the current tactics are Kidd's?

amazing isnt it
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:48 am

Currently 4th place is ours. To lose 4th means that someone has to take it from us...
All the teams around us are dropping points for fun...
The League Title is there for the taking if we can put a decent run together...
We have to play 5 of our nearest rival at home...

There can only be one answer to the question.......but....

Instead of setting our stal out to maximise our potential, we are playing shite and the good run of results agaist shit teams hasn't really been that great.
If we set the players free to get out and destroy our rivals...we could finish top...NO FEAR.
If we carry on playing like we are, our rivals will destroy us and we will fail...FULL OF FEAR.

I will probably have fallen asleep with boredom before the end of the season....Will someone wake me up to let me know how it all went at the end?...Thanks.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:24 am

Yes you miserable bunch of pessimistic fuckers.

From Dec 26th - May 9th it is all about grinding out results and we are getting them.

Want beautiful pretty football? Tune into SS3 or SS4 on Saturday/Sunday nights and see a Barca side 6 years or so in the making, don't expect it after 2 months.

WHEN we get 4th it will be deserved from everyone at the club expect the majoirty of fans who have been a joke this season.
the_georgian_genius

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:51 am

Portsmouth....Hull.....Bolton....Stoke....Blackburn...Wolves...Boro...Scunthorpe...Grind out results against that shower of shite...With our squad, we should blow them off the park. We shouldn't need to grind anything.
We have only played one half decent side...Everton...and we didn't do much fucking grinding then...nor were our powers of grinding up to much against Hull or the rags or the other night at Stoke.
We have got to 4th on the back of the easiest phase of games of the season....and for the vbest part of that easiest phase...we have played shit.

Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Brum, Everton, the rags, Arsenal, Villa...Do you honestly think we can maximise our points potential against these teams by playing frightened football?
Or are we gonna cruise to 4th on the back of ground out results at the top teams of Wigan, West Ham or Burnley?
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:14 am

john68 wrote:Portsmouth....Hull.....Bolton....Stoke....Blackburn...Wolves...Boro...Scunthorpe...Grind out results against that shower of shite...With our squad, we should blow them off the park. We shouldn't need to grind anything.
We have only played one half decent side...Everton...and we didn't do much fucking grinding then...nor were our powers of grinding up to much against Hull or the rags or the other night at Stoke.

and? we picked up 12 points and progressed in two cups. What about the Burnley, Fulham, Hull, Bolton, Wigan league games and Scunthorpe and Arsenal kids in the cup, in your opinion we should have blown them off the park so why did we only pick up a measley 5 points?

john68 wrote:We have got to 4th on the back of the easiest phase of games of the season....and for the vbest part of that easiest phase...we have played shit.

We have got to 4th by picking up results, something the previous manager failed to do.

john68 wrote:Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Brum, Everton, the rags, Arsenal, Villa...Do you honestly think we can maximise our points potential against these teams by playing frightened football?

Frightened football?

john68 wrote:Or are we gonna cruise to 4th on the back of ground out results at the top teams of Wigan, West Ham or Burnley?

If we had grinded out results under Mark Hughes in that infamous 7 games of successive draws (7 points out of a possible 28 which is relegation form) then we would be cruising to 4th and making the top 3 nervous.

You are so quick to dismiss the win at Wolves and the point at Stoke as games we don't need to grind results from but i will guarentee you that Spurs (loss at wolves) and Liverpool (draw at wolves and stoke) would have loved to have grinded out results there.
the_georgian_genius

Postby Fidel Castro » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:19 am

the_georgian_genius wrote:
john68 wrote:Portsmouth....Hull.....Bolton....Stoke....Blackburn...Wolves...Boro...Scunthorpe...Grind out results against that shower of shite...With our squad, we should blow them off the park. We shouldn't need to grind anything.

and? we picked up 12 points and progressed in two cups. What about the Burnley, Fulham, Hull, Bolton, Wigan league games and Scunthorpe and Arsenal kids in the cup, in your opinion we should have blown them off the park so why did we only pick up a measley 5 points?

john68 wrote:We have got to 4th on the back of the easiest phase of games of the season....and for the vbest part of that easiest phase...we have played shit.

We have got to 4th by picking up results, something the previous manager failed to do.

john68 wrote:Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Brum, Everton, the rags, Arsenal, Villa...Do you honestly think we can maximise our points potential against these teams by playing frightened football?

Frightened football?

john68 wrote:Or are we gonna cruise to 4th on the back of ground out results at the top teams of Wigan, West Ham or Burnley?

If we had grinded out results under Mark Hughes in that infamous 7 games of successive draws (7 points out of a possible 28 which is relegation form) then we would be cruising to 4th and making the top 3 nervous.

You are so quick to dismiss the win at Wolves and the point at Stoke as games we don't need to grind results from but i will guarentee you that Spurs (loss at wolves) and Liverpool (draw at wolves and stoke) would have loved to have grinded out results there.

Fait play to the voice of the true City fan here actually. Still not optimistic we'll pick up any points against our main rivals the way we are playing atm. But what do I know? I'm not a true supporter...
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:21 am

Fidel Castro wrote:

Frightened football?

Fait play to the voice of the true City fan here actually. Still not optimistic we'll pick up any points against our main rivals the way we are playing atm. But what do I know? I'm not a true supporter...

If you could kindly tell me where i have insuated that i am a true supporter and you aren't then that would be lovely to see as i a fucking confused at the minute. I look forward to your response.
the_georgian_genius

Postby Fidel Castro » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:29 am

Fidel Castro wrote:

Frightened football?

If you could kindly tell me where i have insuated that i am a true supporter and you aren't then that would be lovely to see as i a fucking confused at the minute. I look forward to your response.

your inverted commas for the word supporters, why???
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum