Press Conference

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Press Conference

Postby irblinx » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:29 pm

Scores:

Cook -1
Mancini 8

How can someone holding such an important position in a very public focussed business be so awful at reading a statement and fielding questions?

Mancini has got me excited though, not in a gay way you understand!
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

The Mancini Press Conference

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:30 pm

Couldn't see a thead on here with regards to it and i thought it deserves one as so many topics came up in it.

Namely the statement.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/20 ... -statement

and then of course the musings of our new manager.

Personally im not sure whether i totally believe the cook statement but i do agree with his "its done draw a line under it" comment, after all whats done is done and it'll do no one any good to keep bringing something which is now unchangeable up.

On the plus side, i really like Mancini, i think he'll settle in well and the fact he is getting on with the players already (especially craig) is a big plus. Also he's got a good sense of humour and seems to be a more charismatic figure than Mark Hughes. I've very high hopes for him.

So what did you all make of the press conference then?
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Re: Press Conference

Postby Lev Bronstein » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:32 pm

The press are a disgrace the questions Bob were more designed to trip Rob up, they weren't interested in him or his ideas as to how he expects the team to progress.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Colin the King » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:32 pm

Agree completely mate, Cook handled it very poorly and lost his composure towards the end- surely a man in his position, in the circumstances of the last few days, would have known what to expect. The journalists were hardly going to give him a round of applause and a big hug.

Mancini though dealt with the press well- didn't saying anything outrageous, but exuded a calm confidence and his English was very good.
Colin the King

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Lev Bronstein » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:34 pm

Bob seemed to understand most of the questions before they were interpreted.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby french_tony » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:37 pm

Just got in from work and missed it. Anywhere to watch it??
french_tony
De Jong's Tackle

Postby s1ty m » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:38 pm

it was all a bit weird. i thought cookes statement was very good and cleared up a lot. he was also right to suggest the press were looking for trouble and was entitled to tell them so. i thought the press were mainly disgusting and simply confirmed that they want city to fail and will do all they can to heap shit on us. they've been doing it for a while. fuck em. wwe are city and we must rally together right now. us against anyone, let's ave it!

i have no opinion on mancini, if he gets the team to play for him and we can get the defence better than the u-11's side that it is, fine. i fancy he might be able to get the flair players playing and he will be able to attract some decent new arrivals; chiellini would be top of my list. i also think it is not out of the question that city go bananas in the window and bring in 6 top players. they will give mancini unlimited funds, no question.

as for this hughes thing, well, he had 18 months and a quarter of a billion. unreal. and the side are not too good, terrible defensively, awful tactics and mystifying changes. hughes going was a cert and it is totally right to point out that the trajectory was indeed not good enough.

frankly, the owners have spend daft amounts and are entitled to bring in whoever they choose. hughes going is a sound move. the spurs game told anyone watching what the manager was all about.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:44 pm

I thought the press were pretty disgusting . But that's not news is it! I think we all knew what sort of attack and questionning they would launch. Yes Cook's statement was ok but it left openings and they walked into them and he didnt seem either very prepared for it or able or both. I thought Vicky Kloss saved him a bit.

As for Mancini I thought he was good. Awkward for him obvioulsy but nothing in the past needs to be an issue for him , just the future. And I am excited about that.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby daveh1962 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:46 pm

I must say I thought Mancini came across very well I think the decent thing for Cookto do would have been to introduce Mancini and then Cook should have read his prepared statement and fielded questioons afterwards that way the press would not have been able to hound Mancini about Hughes and what had gone on before
daveh1962
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:47 pm

cook

Total cock, his presence alone took away from the purpose of the conference. why did'nt he just have a conference this morning to deal with the issues he knew he would have to address.

MANCINI

dont think his english is that great "my friend Robbie Savage, i bring him for pasta" what the f**k was that about. did'nt get a great insight into his tactics or management style, so will have to wait and see.

MEDIA

absolute dickheads, maybe a bit pissed off that cook was such a pussy but whoever asked the question about rory delaps long throws should be banned for life.
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:49 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Yes Cook's statement was ok but it left openings and they walked into them and he didnt seem either very prepared for it or able or both. I thought Vicky Kloss saved him a bit.

In what way mate? I'm at work so couldn't watch it and don't have a clue.

Cheers.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby blues-clues » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:54 pm

media? what do any of you really expect? for them to be on our side? Cmon thats not going to sell papers is it? Be honest some of the questions they asked were to Mancini but directed at Cook basically trying to build on the "hughes has been treated disgracefully" story trying to make out that the owners are dishonourable and deceitful. Its a pity Cook lost the plot though, adds weight to the conspiracy theorists.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:54 pm

Can anyone one confirm this?

I swear I heard Bob saying Man City is a great club only to be interuppted by some media cunt saying "so so"

was it just me or did i actually hear that?

ta
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby edge275 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:56 pm

Does anyone know where I can watch it?
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby CityGer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:01 pm

Cook is a plank. He has a pedigree in business but I can't help but feel that he is a total blagger.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: us

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Cook: fucking hopeless

Press: fucking hopeless & annoying.

Mancini: played a straight bat & obviously wanted to talk football but wasn't being allowed to. Good points were that in answer to Henry Winter with the only football question, he says he wants to play attacking football & use different systems rather than being rigid, which will do for me. Perhaps some of the local journos or the club website can ask him more details about his football philosophy which is all we're fucking interested in rather than trawling over crap about who spoke to whom etc.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby edge275 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:09 pm

I've just seen Cook on SSN. I thought he came across very well. He was very assertive and firm. He took it to the gutter press.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Burt » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Cook sounded like he was a nervous newbie, making his first ever public speech. Kept miss-pronouncing his words as if he was absolutely pissed as a fart.

Very dissapointing and embarassing to listen to. The flatdick (Vicky Kloss?) had to butt in and save him near the end. I know that he was under the cosh but for fucles sake, with his experience, he surely should have done better?

Bobby Manc sounded good though and I was pleasantly surprised at how good his English was considering that some of the press said that he couldn't speak a word of our language.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt

Postby craigmcfc » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:13 pm

Siege mentality is what we need now chaps cos the world and his dog are against us. Felt sorry for Cook who looked visibly angry with the scum sat in front of him and liked the look of Mancini and the way he handled questions that were clearly there to get a response that could be misinterpreted in translation

I wasn't happy about the way the Hughes regime came to an end but it's history now and every blue needs to be 100% behind the club and new manager. Siege mentality I tell thee
Last edited by craigmcfc on Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Nick » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:13 pm

Looks like its unanimous. Bobby Manc oozed class. Confident, charismatic....

Cook was a wanker who left the '' room full of small-minded, xenophobic, classless, no-nowts, all patently with an agenda to have a pop at City.'' to attempt to embarass, undermine and humilate a man who won 7 titles in 4 years at Inter Milan !!!

MUNICH SCUM.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum