Players Revolt in the papers

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Players Revolt in the papers

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:57 pm

Buffalo Soldier wrote:
Chopper wrote:I think Mancini can handle a bit of pressure, this isnt his first trip round the garden. Italian football is a pressure cooker I think the pressure that you are speaking of is the Hughes brigade wanting him to fall on his face so they can feel validated. If he is being given 5 months to wow them then hes fucked unless we win the league. Like I said top 5 and beating the rags would do me just fine. Is he allowed the same amount of time or is it straight to undefeated out of the box?

Chopper by name Chopper by nature I guess.

It is exactly that kind of comment that forced people into defending Hughes and made people seem like 'lickers' rather than just wanting to give a manager a decent opportunity. 99% of 'the Hughes brigade', myself included, simply wanted a decent period of stability before tearing it all up and starting again for the umpteenth time.

Unfortunately, after 18 months of going round in circles and god knows how many fucking arguments about the same thing, we have been denied a chance to see if Hughes would have ever delivered us the success we all crave. It would have been nice after so long debating the point to hang on for another 3 or 4 months to see if he would have won us a trophy or got us into that 4th spot.

The owners have decided to act and brought the new man in. I guarantee that there is absolutely no one who wants him to fail, which is more than can be said for a lot of people while Hughes was in charge. Unfortunately, the timing of the appointment means that we were denied the opportunity to see the outcome of the Hughes era and as such, if Mancini doesn't reach Top 4 or reach the Carling Cup final then there will be questions asked about whether it was the right appointment.

I HAVE TO PICK YOU UP ON THAT STATEMENT MATE AS IT,S COMPLETELY FUCKING BOLLOKS.
I DONT AND NEVER HAVE BEEN A HUGHES SUPPORTER BUT MADE IT PLAINLY CLEAR MANY TIMES THAT I WOULD EAT HUMBLE PIE SHOULD HE SUCCEED IN MAKING US REACH THE TOP - I EVEN GAVE HIM LOTS OF CREDIT FOR MANY THINGS.

I DONT BELIEVE ANY CITY FAN WOULD WANT HIM TO FAIL SO HE COULD BE SACKED - I THINK THATS JUST INSULTING.

NOT ON MATE...
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:01 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Buffalo Soldier wrote:
Chopper wrote:I think Mancini can handle a bit of pressure, this isnt his first trip round the garden. Italian football is a pressure cooker I think the pressure that you are speaking of is the Hughes brigade wanting him to fall on his face so they can feel validated. If he is being given 5 months to wow them then hes fucked unless we win the league. Like I said top 5 and beating the rags would do me just fine. Is he allowed the same amount of time or is it straight to undefeated out of the box?

It is exactly that kind of comment that forced people into defending Hughes and made people seem like 'lickers' rather than just wanting to give a manager a decent opportunity. 99% of 'the Hughes brigade', myself included, simply wanted a decent period of stability before tearing it all up and starting again for the umpteenth time.

Unfortunately, after 18 months of going round in circles and god knows how many fucking arguments about the same thing, we have been denied a chance to see if Hughes would have ever delivered us the success we all crave. It would have been nice after so long debating the point to hang on for another 3 or 4 months to see if he would have won us a trophy or got us into that 4th spot.

The owners have decided to act and brought the new man in. I guarantee that there is absolutely no one who wants him to fail, which is more than can be said for a lot of people while Hughes was in charge. Unfortunately, the timing of the appointment means that we were denied the opportunity to see the outcome of the Hughes era and as such, if Mancini doesn't reach Top 4 or reach the Carling Cup final then there will be questions asked about whether it was the right appointment.

I HAVE TO PICK YOU UP ON THAT STATEMENT MATE AS IT,S COMPLETELY FUCKING BOLLOKS.
I DONT AND NEVER HAVE BEEN A HUGHES SUPPORTER BUT MADE IT PLAINLY CLEAR MANY TIMES THAT I WOULD EAT HUMBLE PIE SHOULD HE SUCCEED IN MAKING US REACH THE TOP - I EVEN GAVE HIM LOTS OF CREDIT FOR MANY THINGS.

I DONT BELIEVE ANY CITY FAN WOULD WANT HIM TO FAIL SO HE COULD BE SACKED - I THINK THATS JUST INSULTING.

NOT ON MATE...

Come on Carl, you're not seriously telling me that there haven't been posters on here in the last 18 months who have been so against Hughes that they would put up with us losing games just to see him gone?

Barney Blue and Edge instantly spring to mind.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:04 pm

Buffalo Soldier wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:I HAVE TO PICK YOU UP ON THAT STATEMENT MATE AS IT,S COMPLETELY FUCKING BOLLOKS.

NOT ON MATE...

Come on Carl, you're not seriously telling me that there haven't been posters on here in the last 18 months who have been so against Hughes that they would put up with us losing games just to see him gone?

Confirmed.
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Chopper » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:06 pm

"denied the opportunity to see the outcome of the Hughes era"

We saw the outcome every week, we couldnt defend for shit and were getting cunted by bottom dwellers. The demolition at the hands of spuds was enough to push the eject button. If we had the World cup XI we werent going to going to score going up the middle. Hughes identified the centreback position as a problem area and spent 50 million on players that have leaked 6 goals in two games. Hughes came up short and the owners didnt want to give him any more money. Cant say I blame them.
Chopper
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Dolemite

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:07 pm

Chopper wrote:"denied the opportunity to see the outcome of the Hughes era"

We saw the outcome every week, we couldnt defend for shit and were getting cunted by bottom dwellers. The demolition at the hands of spuds was enough to push the eject button. If we had the World cup XI we werent going to going to score going up the middle. Hughes identified the centreback position as a problem area and spent 50 million on players that have leaked 6 goals in two games. Hughes came up short and the owners didnt want to give him any more money. Cant say I blame them.

name them!
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Chopper » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:14 pm

Ok lets start with Burnley and Wigan
Chopper

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Dolemite

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:16 pm

Buffalo Soldier wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Buffalo Soldier wrote:

NOT ON MATE...

WHO T F IS BARNY BLUE MATE?

I DONT BELIEVE EDGE WOULD WANT HUGHES TO FAIL SO HE COULD BE SACKED....I CANT BELIEVE THAT.

SERIOUSLY BEEFY - I DONT GET ALL THE NEGATIVITY ABOUT US SAYING GOODBYE TO HUGHES - WHY IS IT SO SHOCKING THAT HE HAS GONE?
I THINK SOME PEOPLE HAVE GONE OVERBOARD TBF AND ARE NOW VENTING THEIR HISTERIA TOWARDS THE HUGHES OUTERS.

IT,S LIKE A REVERSE OF OVER 18 MONTHS AGO..THE DIFFERENCE IMO BEING THAT THE REACTION TO HUGHES APPOINTMENT WAS NOT OVER THE TOP AS HE HAD NO PEDIGREE TO BEGIN WITH........MANCINI ON THE OTHER HAND HAS.

IM JUST SURPRISED AT ALL THIS VENOM...REALLY.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby edge275 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:18 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:
Buffalo Soldier wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:I HAVE TO PICK YOU UP ON THAT STATEMENT MATE AS IT,S COMPLETELY FUCKING BOLLOKS.

NOT ON MATE...

Confirmed.

I have never said that.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Burt » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:20 pm

edge275 wrote:
Buffalo Soldier wrote:

NOT ON MATE...

Confirmed.

I have never said that.

This could get interesting. Go boys go!
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:21 pm

edge275 wrote:
Buffalo Soldier wrote:

NOT ON MATE...

Confirmed.

I have never said that.

it was said. i don't care if it was you.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Postby edge275 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:23 pm

edge275 wrote:
Buffalo Soldier wrote:

NOT ON MATE...

Confirmed.

I have never said that.

it was said. i don't care if it was you.

I know it was said, RIG said it (although I think he rescinded it and said it was his Dad). But I haven't said it. Just people making up stories to suit their arguments as usual.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:27 pm

edge275 wrote:
I know it was said, RIG said it (although I think he rescinded it and said it was his Dad). But I haven't said it. Just people making up stories to suit their arguments as usual.

he didn't make anything up. he said your name sprang to mind. that's it. the rest was correct.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:36 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Buffalo Soldier wrote:

NOT ON MATE...

WHO T F IS BARNY BLUE MATE?

I DONT BELIEVE EDGE WOULD WANT HUGHES TO FAIL SO HE COULD BE SACKED....I CANT BELIEVE THAT.

SERIOUSLY BEEFY - I DONT GET ALL THE NEGATIVITY ABOUT US SAYING GOODBYE TO HUGHES - WHY IS IT SO SHOCKING THAT HE HAS GONE?
I THINK SOME PEOPLE HAVE GONE OVERBOARD TBF AND ARE NOW VENTING THEIR HISTERIA TOWARDS THE HUGHES OUTERS.

IT,S LIKE A REVERSE OF OVER 18 MONTHS AGO..THE DIFFERENCE IMO BEING THAT THE REACTION TO HUGHES APPOINTMENT WAS NOT OVER THE TOP AS HE HAD NO PEDIGREE TO BEGIN WITH........MANCINI ON THE OTHER HAND HAS.

IM JUST SURPRISED AT ALL THIS VENOM...REALLY.

Barney Blue was a cunt of the highest order who polluted the board for a few of months at the time of Hughes being appointed, Im pretty sure he has been banned now, there is not a day goes by that I don't think of him and his witty informative posts though.

I'm not Dave Wallace so I'm not going to claim to know how everyone is feeling, but from my own point of view, I'm just annoyed that 18 months of arguing about Hughes and we were at the business end of finally being able to put to bed whether or not he was capable of delivering. There seem to be plenty on here who have crystal balls and have apparently already seen that we wouldn't finish Top 4 and we would have lost the semi final. Holding on another couple of months would have made sure.

I don't think it was vital to get a new manager in before January because as we saw last season, it's difficult to do the right kind of business in January, so I don't get what the rush was to replace him. Also, with world cup coming round, it could make a lot of our current squad nervous that they are going to lose their places 6 months before the tournament. In fact, I'm pretty sure that when Barry signed, he mentioned in his press conference that he sought assurances that the manager would be there for some time.

I think that the hysteria will die down after a few days, it's still just a bit raw now. I don't agree with the timing of it, but I'm still as optimistic as I have ever been about City and I'm gradually getting more and more excited about seeing what the new manager can do.

The views against Hughes were pretty extreme and a fair few of the people against him have been pretty quick to say to people that we should all get behind the club now which is pretty fucking rich considering that's what most of the 'lickers' have been doing the whole time.

Everyone will be fully behind the team come Saturday against Stoke.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Lev Bronstein » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:56 pm

lythamblue wrote:
Lev Bronstein wrote:Last chance saloon - ridiculous. If Athletico Madrid can keep getting managers so can we.

So what are you saying Lev?

You want Man City to become the EPL version of Atletico Madrid?

Nope, the "last chance saloon" comment is silly
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby AlanBallsHat » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:07 am

I am just gobsmacked they didnt consider John Barnes.
AlanBallsHat
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: That Blue team
My favourite player is: The Shauns

Postby lythamblue » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:12 am

Lev Bronstein wrote:
lythamblue wrote:
Lev Bronstein wrote:Last chance saloon - ridiculous. If Athletico Madrid can keep getting managers so can we.

I hope Mancini is successful, but i fear he too will be expected to produce miracles overnight. If he is successful we will always be able to recruit top talent to replace him and continue the theme of success.

However, if he too becomes a casualty of a wealthy but impatient management team..... the hopes of future Mourinho type appointments will be dead and gone.

We will be left with giving chances to what we hope are up and comings (like MH actually) ot the old ans past it who just want to earn another 10 mill before they retire.

Tell me ..... why would someone want to leave a top job and join us?
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby AlanBallsHat » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:20 am

lythamblue wrote:

AlanBallsHat
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: That Blue team
My favourite player is: The Shauns

Postby lythamblue » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:28 am

AlanBallsHat wrote:
lythamblue wrote:

They will already be earning loads of that anyway!

Give me another reason.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:30 am

Dont worry when David Platt is on the backroom team he will kick the players into touch.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Lev Bronstein » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:32 am

lythamblue wrote:
Lev Bronstein wrote:
lythamblue wrote:

I hope Mancini is successful, but i fear he too will be expected to produce miracles overnight. If he is successful we will always be able to recruit top talent to replace him and continue the theme of success.

However, if he too becomes a casualty of a wealthy but impatient management team..... the hopes of future Mourinho type appointments will be dead and gone.

We will be left with giving chances to what we hope are up and comings (like MH actually) ot the old ans past it who just want to earn another 10 mill before they retire.

Managers rarely leave a top job to join anyone - unless they are on the way out (eg Benitez to Liverpool, Morinho to Inter).

But that's not the question. As long as we have enough resources to pose a challenge we'll be able to attract managers of reputation and potential. By potential I'm stating the obvious. Pick who you think is the best manager, with the best CV and until they actually start to produce real results for a real team in a real situation - ie not another team somewhere else - then all they have is potential.

If the money's there then we will always be able to attract talent. Never under estimate the egos of these people, they all think that they have special talents that will crack any problem - providing the money is there to sustain their self-evaluation.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum