The Divide Between Fans

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Divide Between Fans

Postby King Kev » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:51 pm

The Man In Blue wrote:
King Kev wrote:
MARKMAKAVELI wrote:KK you have missed our points entirely, just as most of the Hughes Out brigade did throughout the whole saga.

I'm done with this thread now, at least it's over.
No I haven't. It is you and the other happy-clappers who have deliberately missed the point of this whole thread and turned it into more petty arguments. I hope you are very proud.

what the fuck did you expect? it was a smug wum thread in the first place.

ffs we have been saying for months can we just get behind the boss and team but for this we are labelled "happy clappers" (a team of endearment i see you have reverted to again, what happened to the peace and love?), and now you have the temerity to rub it in our faces, pretend you are the peacemaker, and expect us not to react angrily?

get real.
My intentions were honourable I promise you. I honestly had no idea that this thread would end up like this. I must be very naive I admit but I am not a WUM.

I regret the direction this thread has been taken in but still hope that, in time, we can all stop this silly squabling and be happy with our new manager.

Peace.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby The Man In Blue » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:52 pm

come on KK, it was always gonna end up like this.

as WW said, bad timing? could have left it a few days until the wounds were a bit less raw.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby ant london » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:58 pm

King Kev wrote:
I regret the direction this thread has been taken in but still hope that, in time, we can all stop this silly squabling and be happy with our new manager.

Peace.

I'm positive that we will be pulling in the same direction properly once there's been a bit of spleen venting.

I will fully admit that I was furious at several points last night and this morning. I've no intention of dwelling on what is now done though.

Will get you a jar on Boxing day. Cheers, Ant
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby dazby » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:31 pm

What a cathartic thread. I really enjoyed reading this. It was a summary of the past 18 months. Good to see BMD pop his head in too. Hopefully he'll be back for more.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Socrates » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:36 pm

While it may not have been what KK intended, getting rid of the spleen venting now ,rather than letting things fester, could actually be very positive for us all.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby colonel_muck » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:42 pm

tis true, we've been at civil war ever since day 1 under hughes. not only on here, but its spilled out into the ground. city fans scrapping with eachother over it? we definitely need to put it behind us, whether it was right or wrong. never again do i hope to see our own fans physically fighting eachother. as they say in italy 'in the mouth of the wolf!'
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:08 pm

Socrates wrote:While it may not have been what KK intended, getting rid of the spleen venting now ,rather than letting things fester, could actually be very positive for us all.

Maybe so - whatever the intentions the OP comes across as smug and so as led to some spleen venting - suspect it was originally about, now that we have got our way....... it is hard to relate 'conciliation' with some of the extreme stuff written over the months

Anyway - here's hoping the new guy puts the Man in Man City - all sorts of banners that could be produced on that theme
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Socrates wrote:
ant london wrote:
Socrates wrote:I'm all for a new ere of peace mate but please stop this sanctimonious bullshit that your support for a failing incumbent made you a better fan! Some people had a different opinion of what was best for the club that they love, for you to deride that in the way that you do actually helps makes the differences in opinion turn into factional infighting amongst groups of blues. How is that in any way helpful to the club you profess to be a Class I supporter of?

I don't disagree with you that it's not helpful and as LAHAD says I am more interested in the real world and how we all get on together for real as fans. I have no beef with anyone amongst those who I have argued on these subjects. I'd happily have a beer with all of them on Boxing day.

I just want to get back to us all supporting the club, that is all I have ever wanted

Good answer. Thank you. Me too. Especially as many of the more vocal Hughes-sceptics were in fact previously serial loyalists - the likes of myself, NQDp, KK all supported Sven, KK and Royle through thick and thin and Pearce up until very near the end. I too hope there will be more unity in the future.

exactly.

One of the reasons it pissed me off that people were coming with comments like 'you don't want stability' and whatever. I mean pretty much eversince appointment of Royle I've been vocally pro-manager apart from last few months of Pearce era when I had to admit I was dick for defending him and change was needed. It's not like I have ANY previous of not giving time to managers or whatever. I simply thought Hughes was the wrong man for us from the off for various of different reasons.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Socrates » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:30 pm

Well let's hope for a bit of Etihad from now on eh?
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby ant london » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:33 pm

I'll drink to that.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:02 pm

ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL?????

OR WILL THE BITCHING AND CRYING STILL CARRY ON FOR THE FORESEEABLE?
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby ronk » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:17 pm

King Kev wrote:
The Man In Blue wrote:
King Kev wrote:
MARKMAKAVELI wrote:KK you have missed our points entirely, just as most of the Hughes Out brigade did throughout the whole saga.

No I haven't. It is you and the other happy-clappers who have deliberately missed the point of this whole thread and turned it into more petty arguments. I hope you are very proud.

ffs we have been saying for months can we just get behind the boss and team but for this we are labelled "happy clappers" (a team of endearment i see you have reverted to again, what happened to the peace and love?), and now you have the temerity to rub it in our faces, pretend you are the peacemaker, and expect us not to react angrily?

get real.
My intentions were honourable I promise you. I honestly had no idea that this thread would end up like this. I must be very naive I admit but I am not a WUM.

Peace.

I never doubted that. If this thread had been started by someone who was pro-Hughes or a fence-sitter the reaction would surely have been different.

I hope Hughes does well in future, but ultimately, at this point, that's very far behind how well I want Mancini to do. I won't mind being wrong about Hughes if Mancini does a better job.

I would like some of the good work of Hughes to be vindicated by success on the platform (I hope) he helped establish. The last thing I now want is to be vindicated by the failure of his replacement. I've tasted that before, it's sourer.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:21 pm

ronk wrote:
King Kev wrote:
The Man In Blue wrote:
King Kev wrote:

get real.

Peace.

I never doubted that. If this thread had been started by someone who was pro-Hughes or a fence-sitter the reaction would surely have been different.

I hope Hughes does well in future, but ultimately, at this point, that's very far behind how well I want Mancini to do. I won't mind being wrong about Hughes if Mancini does a better job.

I would like some of the good work of Hughes to be vindicated by success on the platform (I hope) he helped establish. The last thing I now want is to be vindicated by the failure of his replacement. I've tasted that before, it's sourer.

Super comments - an example to all
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby everyonehatesus » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:56 pm

Yep, its time to pull together and and keep fingers crossed that things are moving in the right direction.
At least with this manager it should just be a case of weather or not he is doing a good job, with out things from the past getting in the way.
Here's to a what should be a good xmass, lets hope that santa brings some Mancini magic for us all.
everyonehatesus
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Lev Bronstein » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:13 pm

There's no denying that this board was divided about Hughes and some comments were poisonous and deeply insulting to fellow Blues. Quite frankly, sometimes it was a waste of time coming on here. Opinions were pretty much set in stone and you knew what certain people were going to post before it appeared on the screen. There was a section that never took to him and would take every opportunity to slag him off, which got the expected accusations of disloyalty. Anyone who tried to be positive about our situation were accused of being Lickers, Happy Clappers and ignoring reality. Not very pleasant.

Now who do I blame for this state of affairs developing: well Mark Hughes of course.

Bear with me. If we had been flirting with relegation or in a secure third spot, the results would have made up our minds for us. As it is we're in a sort of OK position.

The first semi-final for decades, in the top six and above Liverpool. Sometimes the football was fantastic.

On the other hand, we should have had more wins. Precious points were lost due to inept defending, strange tactics and indifferent performances. Worse still, Spurs and Villa were pulling away from us.

Hopefully, the board will calm down and we will have less vitriol. However, I can sense battle lines being reformed around Mancini. For some he's not a big enough name, his titles with Inter were handed on a plate, he doesn't know the Prem and so on. It won't be long before they get accused of undermining the team and being negative all the time.

Now if folk want to get at each others throats that's their right - just remember that there are those who didn't or won't subscribe to either extreme.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:53 pm

Lev Bronstein wrote:There's no denying that this board was divided about Hughes and some comments were poisonous and deeply insulting to fellow Blues. Quite frankly, sometimes it was a waste of time coming on here. Opinions were pretty much set in stone and you knew what certain people were going to post before it appeared on the screen. There was a section that never took to him and would take every opportunity to slag him off, which got the expected accusations of disloyalty. Anyone who tried to be positive about our situation were accused of being Lickers, Happy Clappers and ignoring reality. Not very pleasant.

Now who do I blame for this state of affairs developing: well Mark Hughes of course.

Bear with me. If we had been flirting with relegation or in a secure third spot, the results would have made up our minds for us. As it is we're in a sort of OK position.

The first semi-final for decades, in the top six and above Liverpool. Sometimes the football was fantastic.

On the other hand, we should have had more wins. Precious points were lost due to inept defending, strange tactics and indifferent performances. Worse still, Spurs and Villa were pulling away from us.

Hopefully, the board will calm down and we will have less vitriol. However, I can sense battle lines being reformed around Mancini. For some he's not a big enough name, his titles with Inter were handed on a plate, he doesn't know the Prem and so on. It won't be long before they get accused of undermining the team and being negative all the time.

Now if folk want to get at each others throats that's their right - just remember that there are those who didn't or won't subscribe to either extreme.

you should come around more often lev
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby john68 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:39 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
john68 wrote:KK,
You know that I have massive respect for you as a person and am proud to have you as a pal.
That said...your original post was absolute BULLSHIT!!!!

First of all...Hughes did NOT divide fans...it was the attitude of impatience and intolerance of the fans themselves that divided fans. To accuse Hughes of causing division or even the appointment of Hughes as causing division is to abnegate responsibility for your own decisions.

Secondly, for some one who never accepted Hughes from day 1 to now demand that now he has gone, we should all get behind our new manager, is insulting to say the least.
When Sven was sacked, there was no thought about all pulling together in support of Hughes. You never offered Hughes any support at all.

while I agree to some extent about the second point, I couldn't disagree more about the first one.

Appointing former rag superhero was as stupid move as any to begin with and showed Cook's complete inability to understand football supporters. Many would take on him eventually but some never. Why even go there with manager appointment as there were lot of other good managers out there even then.

Deep down everyone knew that from the beginning.

Why this all should be taken on on Robbie Manc though? What has he done to anyone. It wasn't his fault Hughes was sacked. If you want to vent your anger, direct it on Cook who was main culprit on both hiring and firing Hughes.

Regarding people being smug about Hughes getting the boot. Well I don't feel smug one bit. Like I said, I would've been happy to see him prove me wrong as it would've mean we are successful. Despite what some people would have you believe, that's the way I feel deep down.

I hope we as a club have learned from this episode and same mistakes will not be repeated in future.

1...Hughes's early career as a reag is a non issue...we had continual denials fron Hughes outers who said they were judging him solely on his record...why bring up his career now?...Nobody else has.
2...I never suggested that you did feel smug but there are plenty of posts on here that reflect this.
3...I haven't seem any attack on Mancini from anyone. I certainly haven't got a view on him. I have already said I don't know enough about him, other than what I have read of his career on here.
4...Sacking a manager is never a clean cut execution. they almost always end up messy. What should we learn> (genuine question)
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:04 am

john68 wrote:4...Sacking a manager is never a clean cut execution. they almost always end up messy. What should we learn> (genuine question)

What we should learn is that when you hire someone who hasn't had the experience of winning anything, or managing a team full of superstars and allegedly world-class players you better have the patience to see that person fail on the job for a while so that they can gain the experience to really execute how a world-class winning manager can or else yr just fooling yourself, because they will make mistakes, costly ones, as they learn their trade at a different level and expectation than ever before.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby john68 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:07 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
john68 wrote:4...Sacking a manager is never a clean cut execution. they almost always end up messy. What should we learn> (genuine question)

What we should learn is that when you hire someone who hasn't had the experience of winning anything, or managing a team full of superstars and allegedly world-class players you better have the patience to see that person fail on the job for a while so that they can gain the experience to really execute how a world-class winning manager can or else yr just fooling yourself, because they will make mistakes, costly ones, as they learn their trade at a different level and expectation than ever before.

Cheers

I'd go with that mate.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Colin the King » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:16 am

It's true that Hughes' time with us caused an unprecedented divide. Sometimes forums like this give off different impressions to what happens in real life, but in this case, from what I saw with my own two eyes, the division was a very real one. I can recall a punch up in our end at the Hawthornes (incidentally this very day last year) when we lost to West Brom- full on, fists flying. It was heartbreaking to see stuff like that happening. I'm not saying it's Hughes' fault but even if those kind of reactions were childish in the extreme, surely we'd all agree that it's better to have everyone pulling on the same side of the rope. Forest in the cup was another example- if people had concentrated on actually backing the team we mightn't have been beaten so convincingly.

I'd guess that the debate on Mancini will be a lot less heated than those on Hughes. Some people will feel aggrieved about his appointment and question his pedigree, others will be delighted- ultimately though what we ALL want is success on the pitch for City. Debate is of course healthy and without it this form would be nonexistent, but when it comes to established posters and loyal, die hard blues- on either side of the fence I should add- being belittled and insulted for their point of view, there's obviously a problem.

Let's pull together and get behind the lads on Saturday, and whether you're Hughes in or Hughes out, give our new manager the vocal backing he deserves. After all, it's not his fault that he was appointed.
Colin the King

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum