What type of fan will my boy turn into?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

What type of fan will my boy turn into?

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:55 am

I'm taking my youngest tomorrow, he is only 5, to the first game.

So - when he grows up:

will he be the type that thinks its ok to be shit and be happy that we are "competing" for a cup

will he be the type that expects to win the league every year and tell everyone about how good we are and how your team are shit

will he be the type that just accepts that you win some you lose some

will he be the type that thinks we should be up there each year, not every year and whoever wins, fair play to them

can anyone do a poll? Its an interesting question as to what the board want now
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Re: What type of fan will my boy turn into?

Postby M147WN » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:31 am

If he is hooked ( and i don't mean by beating other teams) just by being there, any kid in his right mind will want more and he will become the 'next generation' !

I personally beleive that any Blue fathers duty is to instill that Blue = good & red = bad!
I started taking my Joe at 7 or 8 at Maine Road and he admits to this day that it was a scary experience but he's now nearly 16 and is the most ardent Blue and comes with us allover the country!
I'm not catogrising your sons possible option: Its upto you weather he enjoys the experance
He will find his own way, but it is your duty my friend to shield hm from evil and show him the light!!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:40 am

M147WN wrote:If he is hooked ( and i don't mean by beating other teams) just by being there, any kid in his right mind will want more and he will become the 'next generation' !

I personally beleive that any Blue fathers duty is to instill that Blue = good & red = bad!
I started taking my Joe at 7 or 8 at Maine Road and he admits to this day that it was a scary experience but he's now nearly 16 and is the most ardent Blue and comes with us allover the country!
I'm not catogrising your sons possible option: Its upto you weather he enjoys the experance
He will find his own way, but it is your duty my friend to shield hm from evil and show him the light!!

He doesnt really need shielding from evil - its actually my stepson, and his dad is a blackburn fan - and his only criteria is that I donty take him to united.

The eldest lad (8) he has a season ticket but "thinks" he supports blackburn (when he is not wearing his tevez shirt that he has to hide from his dad). His dad got free tickets to Blackeye this weekend and what winds me up is that the tight cunt would never proactively buy his son tickets to watch the the team he wants him to support - although funnily enough he was a season ticket holder when blackburn won the league and has been 3 times in 15 years since.

The wanker would never think of taking his 5 yrs old son which really gets on my tits, although he took his eldest at that age, he just doesnt seem to be bothered about the little feller. Its almost as if the little one doesnt exist when it comes to football. He has never been to a match. Tomorrow, he is getting the full club shop treatment, shirt name, the fucking lot

So, should the judas (8yr old) son go fuck himself and I carry on taking the impressionable one until he proves trustworthy.

Am I being too harsh?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby M147WN » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:02 am

At least the curse of the red bastards is known throughout!
it's a tricky one him being yor stepson!
i have no experience of this kind of situation but from what i remamber as a kid ( my dad was a Bury fan) and without realising it was steered towards the red side!
I totally rejected it in Nov 1970 when I saw the Blues trash the shit at ot 4-1!!

Maybe the secret nowerdays is to play it softly softly and keep taking him?

I sympathise It can't be easy with external pressures but when you hve the pleasure of having him I'm sure he'lll make the right decision

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:29 am

M147WN wrote:At least the curse of the red bastards is known throughout!
it's a tricky one him being yor stepson!
i have no experience of this kind of situation but from what i remamber as a kid ( my dad was a Bury fan) and without realising it was steered towards the red side!
I totally rejected it in Nov 1970 when I saw the Blues trash the shit at ot 4-1!!

Maybe the secret nowerdays is to play it softly softly and keep taking him?

I sympathise It can't be easy with external pressures but when you hve the pleasure of having him I'm sure he'lll make the right decision

Well, I got one season ticket for the kids - so I guess I gotta put some rules in place.

If H likes it tomorrow as far as I see it, it is holders keepers. If you want to go watching some shithouse yokel club with your 8 fingered dad, then tough shit? The lad knew city play today, and he knew he was due to go - how fuckin gutted will he be if he misses the derby because I operate a loyalty scheme.

Is that harsh. I dont think so.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby john68 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:19 am

John,
First off Mate...I had the absolute pleasure of being a stepdad to 2 great lads, who are now well into their 30s and both solid Blues.
There is only 1 way forward...LOVE and PATIENCE...AND PROBABLY AN EMPTY WALLET TOO
You may be hampered by the fact that their biological Dad is a Blackburn fan and as a Dad he will seem to get 1st call. That is where you will need to be very patient and play the long game. The elder lad might wish to be a Sky Blue but could feel treacherous to his Dad to openly be so. The younger lad could well be an easier task in the shorter term.

I would fairly share the seasoncard between the two and do so for the foreseeable future. That way you defend yourself against accusations of favouritism and resentment from the elder. Kids can be sensitive to that. You must be SEEN to treat them equally. By being fair, you will not drive the elder away from you and actually push him into Ewood Park.

If you show love to them both, it will enhance your relationship with them. If you show patience, you will eventually overcome the barriers and stand a better chance of them becoming lifelong City fans.

GOOD LUCK MATE...IT'S A GOOD AND JUST CAUSE THAT YOU ARE FIGHTING.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:11 am

johnpb78 wrote:
M147WN wrote:If he is hooked ( and i don't mean by beating other teams) just by being there, any kid in his right mind will want more and he will become the 'next generation' !

He doesnt really need shielding from evil - its actually my stepson, and his dad is a blackburn fan - and his only criteria is that I donty take him to U***d.

The eldest lad (8) he has a season ticket but "thinks" he supports blackburn (when he is not wearing his tevez shirt that he has to hide from his dad). His dad got free tickets to Blackeye this weekend and what winds me up is that the tight cunt would never proactively buy his son tickets to watch the the team he wants him to support - although funnily enough he was a season ticket holder when blackburn won the league and has been 3 times in 15 years since.

The wanker would never think of taking his 5 yrs old son which really gets on my tits, although he took his eldest at that age, he just doesnt seem to be bothered about the little feller. Its almost as if the little one doesnt exist when it comes to football. He has never been to a match. Tomorrow, he is getting the full club shop treatment, shirt name, the fucking lot

So, should the judas (8yr old) son go fuck himself and I carry on taking the impressionable one until he proves trustworthy
Am I being too harsh?

mate im a rare bred in following city. all my family[ dads side ] are all leeds fans, but when i was very young, my dad said steve you go and support whoever you want. if you say leeds then i will take you, but its up to you. i just dont get it, that dads tell there sons/daughters who to watch. so i do think you are a touch to hard on the 8yr old. hes just a bloody young un, he might come round in the end
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Postby Redna » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:38 am

As being a cityfan since late 70's,English footy very popular in Sweden through the years and my boys 11 and 6 are very much in to the City way of things. They were absolutely excited when we were over in october for the Fulham and Scunthorpe games. I think and hope theyr'e hooked for life.
We already plans for a visit in Mars/april next year.
So for your question I think yor little boy will turn out to be a super blue with humour and objective eyes and know that City is a call but in a fun way.
There is a reason that the sky is blue isn't it?
CTID!!
"A man's gotta do what his women says"
Redna
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods own
My favourite player is: Ron Jeremy

Postby Feed The Goat » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:58 am

I was never given a choice by my step dad (piccs) and I thank him for that. Kids can't make big decisions on there own they are too young. My little lad is 4 and today will be attending his 4th game right now he is sat on the sofa asking repeatedly are we goin now. He was never given a choice I just went to the registry office and named him Shaun Goater Jones. That's it job done no choice for him.

But more importantly he loves the footie and the whole day out he has with his dad and mates just like I did wen I was his age.
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Dronny » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Feed The Goat wrote:I was never given a choice by my step dad (piccs) and I thank him for that. Kids can't make big decisions on there own they are too young. My little lad is 4 and today will be attending his 4th game right now he is sat on the sofa asking repeatedly are we goin now. He was never given a choice I just went to the registry office and named him Shaun Goater Jones. That's it job done no choice for him.

But more importantly he loves the footie and the whole day out he has with his dad and mates just like I did wen I was his age.

Nice touch with your lads name there! How is Piccs, I haven't seen him on here for a while?
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Feed The Goat » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:15 pm

Dronny wrote:
Feed The Goat wrote:I was never given a choice by my step dad (piccs) and I thank him for that. Kids can't make big decisions on there own they are too young. My little lad is 4 and today will be attending his 4th game right now he is sat on the sofa asking repeatedly are we goin now. He was never given a choice I just went to the registry office and named him Shaun Goater Jones. That's it job done no choice for him.

Nice touch with your lads name there! How is Piccs, I haven't seen him on here for a while?

He is good thanks. Not sure why he not been on he must be workin alot to pay for our cup tickets
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Bluez » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:34 pm

johnpb78 wrote:I'm taking my youngest tomorrow, he is only 5, to the first game.

So - when he grows up:

will he be the type that thinks its ok to be shit and be happy that we are "competing" for a cup

will he be the type that expects to win the league every year and tell everyone about how good we are and how your team are shit

will he be the type that just accepts that you win some you lose some

will he be the type that thinks we should be up there each year, not every year and whoever wins, fair play to them

can anyone do a poll? Its an interesting question as to what the board want now

Hopefully he will be number 4, but that will largely be down to you
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Bluez » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:41 pm

johnpb78 wrote:

He doesnt really need shielding from evil - its actually my stepson, and his dad is a blackburn fan - and his only criteria is that I donty take him to U***d.

So, should the judas (8yr old) son go fuck himself and I carry on taking the impressionable one until he proves trustworthy.

Am I being too harsh?

The 8 yr old just sounds like he is trying to gain acceptance from his "dad" its not unusual for someone so young to try and please someone. The shame is from the sound of the post the little lad hasn't realised yet that his real dad is the one who takes him to city. Making a kid is easy, being a real father is where there hard work is and it looks like two little boys (who will end up being city fans) struck lucky this time around.
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Return to The Maine Football forum