Has Robinho shown the fans (and club) a lack of respect?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Has Robinho shown the fans (and club) a lack of respect?

Postby Alioune DVToure » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:13 pm

I was pleased when Robinho came to the club. As a regular starter for Brazil and such a skillful and high-profile player, I was astonished that we might be able to sign such quality when just 24 hours earlier the club's entire future was apparently in jeopardy. Last season he was involved, along with Stephen Ireland, in almost everything good that we did. However, he was also a major part in the bad. A tendency to go missing in away games and inconsistent remarks about his long-term commitment to the club made me wonder. However, I was of the opinion back then that he was an important person to keep happy and that he might be the catalyst for others to join.

Now, others have joined and we're a much stronger unit. Nonetheless, Robinho seems to want to be treated like a Prince, the perpetual big fish in a small pond. I could look past the Mallorca disappearing act last season as there was a lot going on with certain allegations etc. I also believe that Hughes has been under pressure from above to play him regardless of form or tactics. But the new reality for Robinho is that he's no longer Mr. Big. We've players of a similar age (Tevez being the best example) who have similar international profile, are proven Premier League performers, and fight to get in the team and to stay in the team.

The final point I'd like to make is that Robinho seems to feel as though the club owe him something. Wrong. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that we've actually RAISED his profile. Apart from in the second half of his final season at Real, Robinho was NEVER a first-team regular. He was in-and-out of the side and regularly on the bench. We've given him the platform to really realise his potential here, but he's continually undermined club etiquette and conduct, flirted with Barcelona, and refused to apply himself in key matches. Let's face it, he was a complete passenger at Spurs and only served to highlight Bellamy's importance to the team. His reaction when being taken off, when he'd put in no effort and shown no desire throughout the night was nothing short of disgraceful. I'm beginning to wonder if his only source of loyalty to the club lies in the knowledge that his wages won't be matched elsewhere.

Am I overreacting? Do you honestly believe that he wants to be here? I think this needs to be discussed, and I think that a lot people up to now (myself included perhaps) have been reluctant to open the Robinho debate for fear of how he might react to criticism. Now's the chance, so let's hear it...
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Re: Has Robinho shown the fans (and club) a lack of respect?

Postby CityFanFromRome » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:22 pm

I can understand why you feel this way, however may I point out that he was not the only passenger at Spurs? Also, I've seen plenty of players acting like he did after being subbed, but it doesn't automatically mean they lack of respect for the team/fans. There might be a lot of reasons for reacting that way, being angry at the manager for being subbed is one, but so is being angry at yourself for doing fuck all and knowing it.

Would we be better off without him and with another winger in his place, maybe a young, upcoming one to be Bellamy's understudy for a couple years? Maybe. We have the money to try this out, we could sell him, buy someone else and see what happens, but if the rest of the team goes missing like they did with Spurs, no one in the world will make a difference.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Fish111 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:30 pm

I personally think he has shown a total lack of interest for some time now. Whether that's because of the management team, his team-mates, the club, the country or even the weather we do not know but it is clear he is not happy and his performances reflect that. He should be on the bench until he is sold or his attitude improves. And that goes for any player showing a lack of interest.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Alioune DVToure » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Fish111 wrote:I personally think he has shown a total lack of interest for some time now. Whether that's because of the management team, his team-mates, the club, the country or even the weather we do not know but it is clear he is not happy and his performances reflect that. He should be on the bench until he is sold or his attitude improves. And that goes for any player showing a lack of interest.

This is more or less what I'm getting at. I sometimes wonder if we, the fans, are like the fella who thinks he's punching above his weight with the bird he has and, although he's 90% sure she's shagging about, he keeps schtum for fear of her fucking off for good.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby King Kev » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:I was pleased when Robinho came to the club. As a regular starter for Brazil and such a skillful and high-profile player, I was astonished that we might be able to sign such quality when just 24 hours earlier the club's entire future was apparently in jeopardy. Last season he was involved, along with Stephen Ireland, in almost everything good that we did. However, he was also a major part in the bad. A tendency to go missing in away games and inconsistent remarks about his long-term commitment to the club made me wonder. However, I was of the opinion back then that he was an important person to keep happy and that he might be the catalyst for others to join.

Now, others have joined and we're a much stronger unit. Nonetheless, Robinho seems to want to be treated like a Prince, the perpetual big fish in a small pond. I could look past the Mallorca disappearing act last season as there was a lot going on with certain allegations etc. I also believe that Hughes has been under pressure from above to play him regardless of form or tactics. But the new reality for Robinho is that he's no longer Mr. Big. We've players of a similar age (Tevez being the best example) who have similar international profile, are proven Premier League performers, and fight to get in the team and to stay in the team.

The final point I'd like to make is that Robinho seems to feel as though the club owe him something. Wrong. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that we've actually RAISED his profile. Apart from in the second half of his final season at Real, Robinho was NEVER a first-team regular. He was in-and-out of the side and regularly on the bench. We've given him the platform to really realise his potential here, but he's continually undermined club etiquette and conduct, flirted with Barcelona, and refused to apply himself in key matches. Let's face it, he was a complete passenger at Spurs and only served to highlight Bellamy's importance to the team. His reaction when being taken off, when he'd put in no effort and shown no desire throughout the night was nothing short of disgraceful. I'm beginning to wonder if his only source of loyalty to the club lies in the knowledge that his wages won't be matched elsewhere.

Am I overreacting? Do you honestly believe that he wants to be here? I think this needs to be discussed, and I think that a lot people up to now (myself included perhaps) have been reluctant to open the Robinho debate for fear of how he might react to criticism. Now's the chance, so let's hear it...

Good post! I don't agree with everything you say but it was a good read nonetheless.

I think Robbie has become frustrated at the way we have played at times. He needs to grow up and get on with it but he also needs to be played to his strengths.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Nick » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:43 pm

I really hope he walked down the tunnel because he was pissed off with his performance, the score and wanted to try and help us out. That would have been my reason. Im sure if we would have taken bellamy or tevez off, they have would have kicked off. Maybe for different reasons.

He has NO EXCUSES for his lack of interest / poor form because he was on fire at home last year with no superstars. Now we have done as he said and gone and bought players even he wanted (tevez). So he should be eclipsing last season.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Surrey Sky Blue » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:17 pm

Hes showing himself to be exactly what he is, sorry guys! yes, hes a very talented player on his day, fact is we pay him 3x more than he was on at Madrid and a lot more than Chelsea were ever going to pay him (even though he had agreed personal terms with them), he was being reguarly booed by Madrid fans and wanted out. His agent has openly said that Robinho was in tears and "would of gone anywhere" to get away from Madrid. Madrid basically said 32.6 Million (40 million euros) and hes yours. The boy had a win win situation hes out of Madrid and also 60k a week better off. The motivation for him to come to us was purely financial. Has he ever shown us respect?.... yes, but not recently and it is distincly lacking at the moment along with his commitment to the cause.
Hark now hear, The City sing, United ran away, And we will fight for ever more, Because of Derby day.
Surrey Sky Blue
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Shorter working days
My favourite player is: Zabba!!

Postby CityFanFromRome » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Something that is worth considering is that Brazilian players often don't give their best in the season before a World Cup, because they, knowingly or subconsciously I dunno, tend to keep themselves for their national team. The same argument has been going on for some weeks now in Rome about players like Juan, Julio Baptista and the keeper Doni, although the first one seems to have sorted himself out after Roma denied him to go play for Brazil in a friendly after he called himself out of a game for the club saying he didn't feel well. Kakà is not setting La Liga on fire either for Real Madrid, nor is Lucio at his best for Inter. These are the first brazilians that come to my mind as part of their national team.

Now, if this was the case, someone should tell Robinho that he either sorts himself out and produces the goods for us, or he's going to be dropped and risk missing the World Cup, that might make him put the effort in.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Goataldo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:01 pm

Interesting thread, I to agree with all posts so far which is rare!

He is so inexplicably poor away from home it's untrue. I posted in another thread that I hoped he was pissed off with himself and not at being taken off and that I doubted it. Seems I'm not the only one.

He seems like a Little Lord Fauntleroy at times, his work ethic (defensively) is poor even when he's on fire at home. I'm constantly frustrated by the way he actually pretends to defend, when he moves towards defenders, limply raises a leg at the ball and then watches it go down the line where he should be running to cover, like a dog that's just seen a toy it can't be arsed with anymore chucked away. The antithesis of Carlito. He turns as quickly as he can from the bastard that somehow managed to clear the ball before he got there, and sends his energies at full speed towards somehow getting the ball back in possession for City.

Maybe Robi is just a bit too spoilt a character, although admittedly it can't have been easy for him; having everything so bloody easy. How can he say he aims to be the best player in the world, and not try and sort his napper out to convince anyone, incuding himself, that he can be? I serisouly hope he turns it round, as he's one of the most gifted players we've ver had the pleasure of seeing, when he's on form, but it seems he needs everything perfect before he deigns to put a shift in.

Just read this back to see if I thikn I;m out of order, and I do remember seeing him doing some defending at home, though I can't remember who against. I do remember how shocked I was tho!
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:05 pm

To the title thread the answer is no. And for Robbie himself, I'd have him in any team home and away. It doesn't take a genious to understand that if an opposing defence has to put 2 players on him, then it leaves spaces elsewhere. If the other players cannot take advantage of that, then that cannot be put on Robbies shoulders; can it?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:To the title thread the answer is no. And for Robbie himself, I'd have him in any team home and away. It doesn't take a genious to understand that if an opposing defence has to put 2 players on him, then it leaves spaces elsewhere. If the other players cannot take advantage of that, then that cannot be put on Robbies shoulders; can it?

Agree with this post, everytime he touched the ball against Spurs he instantly had 3 defenders around him. No wonder he was frustrated when he went off.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Goataldo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:02 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:To the title thread the answer is no. And for Robbie himself, I'd have him in any team home and away. It doesn't take a genious to understand that if an opposing defence has to put 2 players on him, then it leaves spaces elsewhere. If the other players cannot take advantage of that, then that cannot be put on Robbies shoulders; can it?

It's a good point that. He does get doubled up on, and that should allow our other creatives to find more space.

But the main point with him is when we've not got the ball. He provides the oppo with an easy option, i.e. our left back is constantly exposed. And he looks so lacklustre at times it's like he's not arsed. Unfortunately that also applies at times when we do have the ball, even when the ridiculously talented maestro himself has it. I'd play him in any team home or away myself if I thought he would knuckle down and try his best, but I wouldn't pick anyone if I didn't expect them to try their nads off. But he doesn't try anywhere near that. Attitude. Like Elano.
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:18 pm

I would like 3 things from Robinho. When we don't have the ball to try and get in a covering position to help defensively. He doesnt have to chase around and tackle all the time but just be where he should be to help

Second when we get the ball to really look as though he wants it and seek out space and angles. He does this a bit but not enough for me.And finally when he is does get the ball to use his talent and try to make things happen. At the mo ( the Spurs game) I don't think he is /was in the mood to do that. He seemed to be happy coming inside and laying it off as if that was enough.

I love watching him play but he has to have that smile on his face and get into it.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Goataldo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:25 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I would like 3 things from Robinho. When we don't have the ball to try and get in a covering position to help defensively. He doesnt have to chase around and tackle all the time but just be where he should be to help

Second when we get the ball to really look as though he wants it and seek out space and angles. He does this a bit but not enough for me.And finally when he is does get the ball to use his talent and try to make things happen. At the mo ( the Spurs game) I don't think he is /was in the mood to do that. He seemed to be happy coming inside and laying it off as if that was enough.

I love watching him play but he has to have that smile on his face and get into it.

And those 3 things should be the least expected from any player, never mind somone with his talent. Maybe he's got S.A.D.
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby ashton287 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:26 pm

if i was him and i got subbed id have gone straight down the tunnel, i wouldnt of shook hughes hand either

he's publicly come out and said he wants to stay and i think something he said that is important to the tunnel incident is he wants to play 90 mins EVERY game, he wants to play football basically and anything else is paranoia as far as im concerned

personally i think he was just pissed at hughes for putting out a team with no formation and then taking robbie off (making it seem like it's his fault) when if anything ireland/de jong should have been subbed for petrov, robbie should of gone over to the right so we had 2 wingers and petrov to give abit more cover for sylvinho or simply took one of them off for weiss so we could go to a 4-4-2 formation

i think we need a better manager to get the best out of our players, especially robbie cos he needs a manager he can respect and so do the rest so we never have to watch our team play like that again and as for getting a young player and having bellamy in robbies place, are you serious everyone seems to be forgetting that bellamy is a fucking striker NOT a winger he plays ok there but he's not robinho
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby irblinx » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:44 pm

There is a lot of crap talked about Robinho, especially in forums. He is actually far less wasteful than terrace hero Tevez in possession, the quick one two's and simple passes seem to get completely ignored whereas Tevez, although in a totally different class, has followed the Dickov model of 100% effort regardless of how ill directed it is at times earning adulation.

Don't get me wrong, Tevez will be class, as will Robby when they are playing in a team of consistent performers, unfortunately at the moment the whole team are playing as if they've never met each other
irblinx

Postby Alioune DVToure » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:51 pm

ashton287 wrote:if i was him and i got subbed id have gone straight down the tunnel, i wouldnt of shook hughes hand either

he's publicly come out and said he wants to stay and i think something he said that is important to the tunnel incident is he wants to play 90 mins EVERY game, he wants to play football basically and anything else is paranoia as far as im concerned

personally i think he was just pissed at hughes for putting out a team with no formation and then taking robbie off (making it seem like it's his fault) when if anything ireland/de jong should have been subbed for petrov, robbie should of gone over to the right so we had 2 wingers and petrov to give abit more cover for sylvinho or simply took one of them off for weiss so we could go to a 4-4-2 formation

i think we need a better manager to get the best out of our players, especially robbie cos he needs a manager he can respect and so do the rest so we never have to watch our team play like that again and as for getting a young player and having bellamy in robbies place, are you serious everyone seems to be forgetting that bellamy is a fucking striker NOT a winger he plays ok there but he's not robinho

This is the kind of respect Robinho gets from a lot of fans and i was putting the question out there: Does he still deserve it? If a less talented player wasn't pulling his weight (think of the shit Gergeous George took), he'd be pilloried from the stands. We need to stop being so thankful that he "loves" us and salvage some pride in my opinion. His reputation internationally is no better than that of Tevez. In fact, he's achieved quite a bit less than Carlos and hasn't had to deal with anything like the same amount of upheaval and non-football-based distractions off the pitch. We've given Tevez a permanent home, a good pay check and a chance to settle and shine and he's thriving in it. Why should we accept any less from Robinho?

Also, I don't buy that it's Hughes' fault. He gave him the start ahead of Petrov in the big game he craved on Wednesday. Even the most steadfast Robinho apologist must have seen that he wasn't interested.

Finally, to say that Robinho is a natural winger is inaccurate. To say that he's more effective for us on the left than Bellamy has been is wildly inaccurate. We're not playing in the Copa America. Nike-advert skills will win us nothing without commitment.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby mr_nool » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:56 pm

irblinx wrote:There is a lot of crap talked about Robinho, especially in forums. He is actually far less wasteful than terrace hero Tevez in possession, the quick one two's and simple passes seem to get completely ignored whereas Tevez, although in a totally different class, has followed the Dickov model of 100% effort regardless of how ill directed it is at times earning adulation.

Don't get me wrong, Tevez will be class, as will Robby when they are playing in a team of consistent performers, unfortunately at the moment the whole team are playing as if they've never met each other

yes, less wasteful, but also less efficient. Last season I was excited everyn time when robson got the ball, because I knew that 8/10 times he'd do something great. This season I'm not. He doesn't challange as much. He doesn't find that genious pass. I don't know why, but he doesn't seem to be the same player this season - he doesn't seem to enjoy the game.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby King Kev » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:17 pm

ashton287 wrote:if i was him and i got subbed id have gone straight down the tunnel, i wouldnt of shook hughes hand either

Mate, you make a lot of sense! The bit I have highlighted is particlarly interesting and a very good point IMO (although we should probably not discuss it in this thread).
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby 9secondlegend » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:24 pm

uwe's_skyblue_duvet wrote:

It's a good point that. He does get doubled up on, and that should allow our other creatives to find more space.

But the main point with him is when we've not got the ball. He provides the oppo with an easy option, i.e. our left back is constantly exposed. And he looks so lacklustre at times it's like he's not arsed. Unfortunately that also applies at times when we do have the ball, even when the ridiculously talented maestro himself has it. I'd play him in any team home or away myself if I thought he would knuckle down and try his best, but I wouldn't pick anyone if I didn't expect them to try their nads off. But he doesn't try anywhere near that. Attitude. Like Elano.

this is going to sound like a hughes out post but i have to say it.
i have been sticking up for robinho for months now against people at work ,southerners i know and utd fans who believe all they read in papers and what hansen and lawrenson say after wtaching him for 10 minutes each match.
ok robinho doesnt track brack.
hes not in the game for 90 minutes constant running like tevez.
he goes missing away from home
he also goes missing at home!
but he is a world class player and we have all seen what he is capable of.
BUT......can we afford a player like this at the moment? i think not.
BUT......he is not being played to his strenghs. he should be behind the front 2 not out wide.
i dont think the management are getting the best out of him .....well i know they are not to be honest
fuck me im rambling but fuck it im on holiday and pissed!
9secondlegend
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum