Gus Hiddinks Agent Claims City Are Sounding Him Out

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Gus Hiddinks Agent Claims City Are Sounding Him Out

Postby sandman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:01 am

SSN now!!
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Re: Gus Hiddinks Agent Claims City Are Sounding Him Out

Postby sandman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:02 am

sandman

Postby sandman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:11 am

They've just elaborated and say he's not interested.
sandman

Postby ashton287 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:25 am

ssn love linking us to big names just so they can say "but despite the money at eastlands he's not intrested" trying to make us look like nobodies punching above our weight FUCK SKY SPORTS, ESPN FOREVERRRRRR
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:06 am

sandman wrote:They've just elaborated and say he's not interested.

Every cloud...
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby john@staustell » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:20 am

It's a Telegraph story which seems to carry some weight. However:

a) He's possibly not interested

b) If he is his agent has done him out of a job by blabbing off. The Sheik wont have any of that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... agent.html

Cees Van Nieuwenhuizen confirmed to Telegraph Sport that he had held a discussion with City chief executive Garry Cook concerning the Russia coach’s future.

“Yes, I did [speak to Cook]. But Guus is happy with Russia. Definitely,” Van Nieuwenhuizen said. “I had a call because I have been working with Garry for 12 years since we worked together at Nike. But I have received calls from all over the world about Guus. There has also been an approach from Juventus.

“He (Cook) asked me if it would be worthwhile having a meeting to discuss the future and what might happen next summer. But I told him that Guus was contracted to Russia.

“I said I didn’t think it was worth having a meeting. Guus is very relaxed. He starts his holiday tomorrow and in January there are elections for a new president for the Russian Federation. He is contracted until next summer but there is an offer for him to stay for two more years, and I think he will definitely stay.”

Van Nieuwenhuizen said he did not discuss in what capacity Cook and City were considering employing Hiddink – whether it was as a manager to succeed Mark Hughes or, less likely, as a technical director to work alongside the Welshman. “I don’t know because I said it was not worth discussing it because Guus was happy,” he said.

But despite Van Nieuwenhuizen’s claim that Hiddink will stay with Russia, other sources close to the 63-year-old Dutch coach suggested that he does not intend to sign a new deal with Russia and will consider other options in February.

At the same time, it is believed that former Inter Milan coach Roberto Mancini is keen to hold further talks with City should they decide to replace Hughes.

The confirmation by Van Nieuwenhuizen that City have been in contact will certainly raise the pressure on Hughes, whose side slumped to a 3-0 defeat away to Tottenham on Wednesday evening, a result which leaves them eighth in the Premier League table.

Even though it was only City’s second defeat of the season, they have won just six of their 16 league matches, having gone through a series of seven successive draws.

It was not just the defeat at White Hart Lane that has caused a deepening sense of frustration at City, but also the nature of the performance, which Hughes himself admitted was “poor”, despite the financial outlay of more than £200 million that the club undertook in the transfer market during the summer as the manager quickly rebuilt his team.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport in April, Hughes will hope to be given this season to prove himself at City. He was given that reassurance in a discussion with the club’s owners, the Abu Dhabi United Group, who did not set specific targets for this campaign beyond a significant improvement on last term.

If Hughes is replaced it would appear to be an extremely harsh decision. Despite his expenditure, he has had to rebuild the squad from top-to-bottom and challenge the top six and is making considerable progress. He took over a team facing a relegation battle, rather than one trying to qualify for Europe.

It appears that he is only part-way through that process – the strength of Tottenham’s bench on Wednesday compared to City’s will be used as evidence to prove that he may have a strong first team, but not a strong squad.

Hughes will hope to be given funds to spend in January, especially to reinforce his defence. A central defender is a priority, which may see City bid for Matthew Upson, who is keen to leave West Ham United. Hughes also needs another left-back, with Wayne Bridge injured, and a creative midfielder
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Scatman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:27 am

Have we not already got an excellent manager who is doing a sterling job?
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Craig B » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:50 am

Scatman wrote:Have we not already got an excellent manager who is doing a sterling job?

Errrr.. let me think about this one! ;-)
"..The object of playing any game is for enjoyment. If you have enjoyed it and done your best you have won no matter what the result." - Joe Mercer OBE
Craig B
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Fish111 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:56 am

Hiddink would be good but has only had a short time in English football so is relatively unproven over here. I certainly wouldn't be upset at all if he was given the job but my preference is Mourinho.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby dazby » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:56 am

This is classic Hiddink. He plays very hard to get while generating a media storm. Next thing he'll come out himself and say he's not interested and that HE hasn't had any contact with the club, but it is an interesting proposition.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:11 am

dazby wrote:This is classic Hiddink. He plays very hard to get while generating a media storm. Next thing he'll come out himself and say he's not interested and that HE hasn't had any contact with the club, but it is an interesting proposition.

What happens then?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Esky » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:20 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
dazby wrote:This is classic Hiddink. He plays very hard to get while generating a media storm. Next thing he'll come out himself and say he's not interested and that HE hasn't had any contact with the club, but it is an interesting proposition.

What happens then?

He takes the job, we look good for a few years and then that c*** Fabio Grosso dives and ruins everything.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby dazby » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:21 am

The fans call for him to be appointed. He'll say that he's not that interested but he'll listen to offers. When it does come time for talks which he gets dragged into due to the big media campaign about it he has the upper hand. He'll then ask for a massive wage and special dispensation to manage a national team. Some previous players will be dragged out to say how brilliant he is keeping the media bandwagon ticking along.

He'll then cave into the public and club pressure by signing an extremely lucrative contract that is totally on his terms. The fans will already be on side because they begged him to come. The media get there happy ending whilst looking for underperforming national teams to link him to in the future.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with this method. Particularly the bit where he takes over and the fans are already on side. It transfers to the players and support early on in his reign. Fortunately, he has the skills to carry this all off and as long as the board succumb to his wishes, he is generally successful.

In his biography, every time he's failed there are always stories of board interference or Guus not having total control of all that he wants to control.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Mr Miyagi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:13 pm

john@staustell wrote:If Hughes is replaced it would appear to be an extremely harsh decision. Despite his expenditure, he has had to rebuild the squad from top-to-bottom and challenge the top six and is making considerable progress. He took over a team facing a relegation battle, rather than one trying to qualify for Europe.

The journalist needs to check his facts. He did not take over a team facing a relegation battle. They finished in the top ten the previous season. Also we were already in UEFA cup (Albeit via the fair play route).

He has exaggerated the level of crisis at the club. We were a safe mid table team.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:18 pm

One of the best articles about Hughes I've read. Conn's always been o ne of the best football journos anyway.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... ark-hughes
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby john@staustell » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:58 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
john@staustell wrote:If Hughes is replaced it would appear to be an extremely harsh decision. Despite his expenditure, he has had to rebuild the squad from top-to-bottom and challenge the top six and is making considerable progress. He took over a team facing a relegation battle, rather than one trying to qualify for Europe.

The journalist needs to check his facts. He did not take over a team facing a relegation battle. They finished in the top ten the previous season. Also we were already in UEFA cup (Albeit via the fair play route).

He has exaggerated the level of crisis at the club. We were a safe mid table team.

I do believe we were crap and needed a complete rebuild. Whether that has been done correctly is another matter.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby sky_blue_stew » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:20 pm

Right now it's a struggle to find the camp that defends what Hughes has done/is doing. But on paper there are hardly any signings (barring perhaps RSC) that I've thought - no, he's not going to make the team stronger. We've tried to get big names, mostly it's a difficult task for a club no one outside the UK knows anything about. I don't think Hughes has bought the wrong players, I just think he lacks the motivational skills (or perhaps stature as an experienced manager) to get the best out of them.
sky_blue_stew
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Vhero » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:23 pm

The fact he has been contacted shows we are already looking for a replacement though so it shows our owners have finally lost faith in Hughes. This probably means he won't have anything to spend in January no doubt and they are probably hoping to replace him before then.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:45 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:One of the best articles about Hughes I've read. Conn's always been o ne of the best football journos anyway.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... ark-hughes

Spot on. Maybe we will get lucky, Hughes will feel "betrayed" by the club sniffing around Hiddink and quit ...... well I can dream.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby gilford » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:51 pm

Vhero wrote:The fact he has been contacted shows we are already looking for a replacement though so it shows our owners have finally lost faith in Hughes. This probably means he won't have anything to spend in January no doubt and they are probably hoping to replace him before then.

We can only dream this is true.............
gilford
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

My favourite player is: Kun Aguero

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum