Has The Money Ruined Us?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Has The Money Ruined Us?

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:05 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
That's the trouble Slim...too many fans wanting too much right now...more impatient than i've ever seen...

I'm on the fence but can i ask a question

What in your opinion is too much, taking into account all people have asked is for us to compete and show signs of improvement?

cheers

We are half a season in

Ask me the same question in May then perhaps you will be able to answer that one yourself either way

so you say they're asking too much but fail to explain what too much is... hmm
thread over.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Beeks » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:12 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
That's the trouble Slim...too many fans wanting too much right now...more impatient than i've ever seen...

What in your opinion is too much, taking into account all people have asked is for us to compete and show signs of improvement?

cheers

We are half a season in

Ask me the same question in May then perhaps you will be able to answer that one yourself either way

thread over.

If you would bother reading the thread you might get an inkling?

chastise over
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Original Dub » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:15 pm

Rag_hater wrote:Its threads like this that have ruined us (apparently)
I dont take kindly to anyone telling me how I should feel and all you happy clappers think youre superior by being tolerant of losses.
Theres a bit of banter for you.

Nasty old man
Original Dub

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:19 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

cheers

We are half a season in

thread over.

If you would bother reading the thread you might get an inkling?

chastise over

A BUDGET IS A BUDGET - EVERY MONTH YOU NEED TO FULLFILL IT OTHERWISE IF YOU GO BACKWARDS THEN IT BECOMES TOO DIFICULT TO MAKE BACK THOSE NUMBERS BEFORE THE YEARS OUT.

IT,S NORMAL IN ANY FUCKING BUSINESS TO ASK QUESTIONS AND BE CONCERNED IF YOUR COMPANY IS NOT REACHING THE REQUIRED MONTHLY BUDGET..............AND WE ARE NO DIFFERENT...SO US FANS START TO GET IRRITATED.

1 WIN IN 11 MATCHES AND 2 LOSSES IS IT???.......I DONT THINK THAT WAS IN THE BUDGET.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby kinkylola » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:46 pm

I guess it's expecting too much to beat the likes of bolton, hull, burnley, birmingham ... how much better off would we be if we just performed ADEQUATELY against teams like this? Those are should wins for any team above 10th ... must wins for any team who wants to be above 6-8th. That's not even taking into account the squad we have. Also the games against fulham and wigan, teams that I consider to be atleast decent and definitely hard working, but I would still list as should wins ... and certainly the game against villa which was a could win for us. I think tottenham away should also fall into the could win section, but last night we were categorically outplayed and just did not want it as bad as they did, which was completely obvious.

I guess my point is, I'm not one to slag off our players, or even the manager ... He's got his chance, it's up to the sheik to decide when it gets to an unacceptable point ... but I also do not believe it is unreasonable to win the games i've listed above, or draw in the case of tottenham and villa. So you look at the table standings and apparently say "oi that's not so bad" but I look at the list of our results and I say "what a horrible run against shit teams"

I do see progress though, because even last year if we went down to a shitty hard working team like oh say bolton ... I would have no confidence that we'd ever come back ... but our run of draws, shows that atleast we have some fight (the ones where we came back from being down anyway)... enough not to give up completely.

Make no mistake if we go on to accomplish anything in the league this year ... Europa or Chumps league ... it will be in spite of our performance against lower teams in the first half of the season, not because of it.

I know I rambled a bit ... but I'm at work so I don't have time to organize my thoughts well ... apologies.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby walmai » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:01 pm

Has the money changed the club? - Naturally, that was inevitable, but surely for the better.

Has the money changed the attitudes of the players? Nowhere near as easy a question to answer, because different players will have different takes on the new found wealth and their new status because of it. Some might come to the view that those who arrive (on mega wages) once the gravy train is in town didn't do so for the honour of playing for the badge, but were persuaded because they'd be made millionaires many times over. I can't personally comment on what's going on in Robinho's head, to be honest, but he does seem to come across as a player who is simply not tuned in to the idea of the physical side of the game, in the cold and wet of the standard English winter. Therefore, despite clearly possessing the skills to pay the bills, he seems nowadays to be a periperhal member of the team, or maybe just the squad. Would I be wrong to include Adebayor in that category?

Secondly, what becomes of the (very) promising Academy graduates, such as Onouha? Might there come a time when he's happier to play for a much less promising team, simply so he can guarantee week in week out matches?

Has the money changed the attitudes of the fans? Bluntly, yes, for some it has. I took a break from posting on here over the summer and autumn and am surprised about how much rucking and anger there is on this board these days. Obviously, all of that money and those new signings are going to send expectation skyward, but, despite that, some of the posts in the last month on here have been (unwittingly) hilarious. Someone posted 'season over' yesterday! You were hovering around the bottom three this time last year. However, that's a view from this website. I can only speak of the few City fans that I personally know otherwise. They've not changed really. Still the same dry wit.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby dikdik » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Rag hater I applaud your independent thought. It was beginning to feel as if I'd wondered into a herd of sheep.

The bland leading the bland.

I've just had a look at a similar thread from a year ago.
Very little changes.
We seem to think loyalty is exclusive of critical thought. After 50 years I reserve the right to think what I like about the team that has treated me like a fickle mistress for all these years.
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Chinners » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:19 pm

You've been treated like a fickle mistress eh? I call that favoritism, they've just shat on me mostly
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Blueboylewis » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:42 pm

Becoming one of the richest clubs for us has been great and the money will help us out in the next few years or whenever.

But the thing is, Because we now have all the money in the world at our disposal and we have money to buy quality players, People expect immediate success and that is not going to happen over night. It will take time for the squad to build and get playing brilliant football but people just have to be more patient.

We have beat Arsenal, Chelsea, Drew with Liverpool, In the semis of the carling cup and yet some people are going way out of order when we have just been beaten by Tottenham at their ground and by a quality Tottenham side. we didnt perform to the best of our ability but yes, Tottenham are a good team and just overpowered us last night.
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Blueboylewis wrote:Becoming one of the richest clubs for us has been great and the money will help us out in the next few years or whenever.

But the thing is, Because we now have all the money in the world at our disposal and we have money to buy quality players, People expect immediate success and that is not going to happen over night. It will take time for the squad to build and get playing brilliant football but people just have to be more patient.

We have beat Arsenal, Chelsea, Drew with Liverpool, In the semis of the carling cup and yet some people are going way out of order when we have just been beaten by Tottenham at their ground and by a quality Tottenham side. we didnt perform to the best of our ability but yes, Tottenham are a good team and just overpowered us last night.

to be fair spuds didnt even play well last night. they didnt have to.

Is it wrong to want your team to show a little bit of desire?
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Blueboylewis » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:57 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
Blueboylewis wrote:Becoming one of the richest clubs for us has been great and the money will help us out in the next few years or whenever.

Cause spurs played well. Ok they didnt play the best they could but they still played well enough to score 3 goals and keep a clean sheet.

Noone said it was wrong for your team to show a bit of desire but some players did e.g Ireland, De Jong, Kolo tried his best. Just some of our players didnt try there best last night and when some of the players dont try there best, Then the whole team can not play as one unit and that was our downfall!
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:02 pm

Blueboylewis wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:

Cause spurs played well. Ok they didnt play the best they could but they still played well enough to score 3 goals and keep a clean sheet.

Noone said it was wrong for your team to show a bit of desire but some players did e.g Ireland, De Jong, Kolo tried his best. Just some of our players didnt try there best last night and when some of the players dont try there best, Then the whole team can not play as one unit and that was our downfall!

imo spurs played shit. we were much worse. anyway that aside, if players put in their all people generally wouldnt complain. when it's blatantly obvious (as you have just stated) that the players dont then fans should be well within their rights to have a moan.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beeks » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:05 pm

london blue 2 wrote:imo spurs played shit.

Don't know what game you were watching mate

I've a couple of spurs fan mates and they said it was the best they have seen them play all season
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Kyle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:46 pm

I've only read the first page so apologies if it has already been covered. I think people have the right to question and critize as one pointed out, but many go further, leaving intelligent debate out of it and end up turning into pissy and moody 14 year old girls.

Whether on here, facebook, or anywhere else all I see is Hughes out, or Hughes needs to be sacked, followed by rediculious reasoning and only citing that he is an ex-rag as a reason to fire him. Yes our form is dissapointing but we can't be so fickle that everytime we hit a bit of a rough patch people are just going guns a blazing at Hughes.

We have a strong squad, and even when Hughes is deploying incorrect tatics, they should just pull together and they have the class to win games. To just blame the dip in form on Hughes is irresponsible and shallow. Is Hughes the manager that will bring us to the top, I don't know, but everytime we play like badly we need to look deeper then just Hughes.

I just want to see people loving city for city, not loving city and then turning into blood-sucking trophy addicts who want silverware so badly that they will loose the enjoyment of watching the games because they want instant success. Its going to be a good ride thats for sure, but remember why you started loving city, and act upon that. Don't focus all your anger from trophy withdrawls on the club, as it makes us look much worse. The results will happen, lets just have some fun in the process.
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Slim » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:52 pm

Kyle wrote:but remember why you started loving city, and act upon that.

My family support City going back four generations, you imply there was a choice, you are mistaken.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Kyle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:55 pm

Slim wrote:

My family support City going back four generations, you imply there was a choice, you are mistaken.

That is an irrelevant point. Choice or not, if you don't love them there's no point in bitching about them. Whether you chose or not, if you don't like something a reasonable person would stop doing it.
Kyle

Postby Vhero » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:42 pm

I have always felt the same way about City as I do today to be honest. I also don't feel like we have changed much as we havn't got anything to show for our money yet. I think once we start winning titles I think I may change as a fan but not until then.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby mr_nool » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:47 pm

Kyle wrote:
Slim wrote:

That is an irrelevant point. Choice or not, if you don't love them there's no point in bitching about them. Whether you chose or not, if you don't like something a reasonable person would stop doing it.

the part in bold i agree with. we are disapointed because the team we love has been performing poorly of late. the second sentence i simply don't get. are you suggesting that people who aren't happy with the team (and the manager) should stop following city? if so, that's just daft.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Kyle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:51 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Kyle wrote:
Slim wrote:

the part in bold i agree with. we are disapointed because the team we love has been performing poorly of late. the second sentence i simply don't get. are you suggesting that people who aren't happy with the team (and the manager) should stop following city? if so, that's just daft.

Well his argument was that he had no choice on whether to follow city or not, he was forced to. I was just stating that to say you have no choice in the matter and if its something you don't actually enjoy, then you aren't forced to follow them. People follow city because they love the club, I would never imply that if someone isn't happy with the way things are now they should stop following city, I was merely saying that it is just a phase and turning into something we all hate is counter productive and we should enjoy the times instead of always being out for someones head.
Kyle

Postby mr_nool » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Kyle wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
Kyle wrote:
Slim wrote:

Well his argument was that he had no choice on whether to follow city or not, he was forced to. I was just stating that to say you have no choice in the matter and if its something you don't actually enjoy, then you aren't forced to follow them. People follow city because they love the club, I would never imply that if someone isn't happy with the way things are now they should stop following city, I was merely saying that it is just a phase and turning into something we all hate is counter productive and we should enjoy the times instead of always being out for someones head.

Thanks for explaining, but it's not really something you can turn off and on. And would guess that's even more the case for those of the lads,who unlike me, come from blue families.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum