Has The Money Ruined Us?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Has The Money Ruined Us?

Postby Beeks » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:01 pm

Take all the Hughes/Team bullshit out of the equation and focus solely on the cash

Where has the banter gone?

Has all this wealth turned us all into glory hunting rags?

Every set of fans wants a trophy...we are no different...but i've seen a major change in the attitude of some fans since we became rich

And I don't like it one bit

This is not just from new blood to the cause either...but from fans who have been here longer than my 30 odd years going to the match

I already see the comparisons to rag fans by some of the shite I read on here

I would have liked to have thought we would remain the best fans in the country despite the billions we now possess

and don't come up with that 'winning mentality' bollocks

That is down to the team...not us

Quite frankly I believe that some on here are acting like spoilt children
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Re: Has The Money Ruined Us?

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:02 pm

I blame City for not giving Doug his pass.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:04 pm

As fans we have definately changed, but at the same time lokk at what was happening when Pearce was in charge. Fans stopped bothering with City, half full grounds etc. Now we've got a new lease of life, loads of hopes and promises and them fans return, only too see in certain games the same that they witnessed when they fell out of love with the club.
We should be doing better and its massively frustrating that we are not.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Original Dub » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:06 pm

Its definitely changed some folk, that's for sure.

I was never ashamed of fellow city fans but since the takeover I can think of quite a few on here that I was ashamed to say I share an affinity with.
Original Dub

Postby Alioune DVToure » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:07 pm

I dunno what responses you're expecting to this. Are you wanting people to come out and say "yes, you're right, I'm behaving like a twat"? Or do you want people to come out and say "other people are acting twats but I'm more patient so I don't"?

Expectations come from the money spent and the players acquired. Some people are more patient than others. End of.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Beeks » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:10 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
Expectations come from the money spent and the players acquired. Some people are more patient than others. End of.

34 years mate

and id wait a few more too

Difference is if we finished outside the top four this season I wouldn't throw my dummy out of the pram

I'd just look forward to next season
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby CityGer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:16 pm

Some people are certainly less tollerant of others, particularly if they happen to have differing opinions.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: us

Postby Alioune DVToure » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:18 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

34 years mate

Difference is if we finished outside the top four this season I wouldn't throw my dummy out of the pram

Me too. I've got patience with the team and the manager. An I'm only in my mid-twenties so touchwood I've got a lot of time left to see us win things. Having said that, our form is frustrating as hell. Last night was acceptable. we went there aiming to out-play them and got soundly beaten. Fair enough. The same thing might just happen to Spurs at Eastlands. Even so, the run of draws at home against comfortably inferior opposition would have been unacceptable even when we were shit. No team in the division would be happy with consecutive home draws against Fulham (good side but not the best away), Burnley and Hull. Villa aren't making the same mistakes and that's what'll cost us come May I imagine.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City

Postby ant london » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:19 pm

Good post Bish

In short, yes it has changed the nature of City fans for the worse

And depressingly many are displaying exactly the same attitudes that have long disgusted me from our red neighbours

Although...it is actually still quite a lot better than when mass apathy set in during the Pearce era
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:20 pm

What was the point with Swales out? Exactly the same as now. People thought we should be doing better. Same as with every manager people wanted to get rid of.

I don't think anything's changed apart from that we have resources we've never had before and after years of going nowhere we have finally chance to progress. Obviously expectations grow as well and so they should be. Few years ago we were panicking whether we can stay afloat so there was hardly any chance to argue about progressing.

Only clear visible change I've seen is the way people talk about rags. While most people used to hate them with varying degree of passion, now it is some sort of badge of honour if you "don't care about them".

I've never understood why we should cherish failure to achieve our targets just because we used to be shite? I'm fookin delighted we aren't down there in 2nd division anymore and absolutely buzzing that we don't have to worry about the future of the club anymore (in financial sense) but that's no excuse for settling for second best.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Original Dub » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:24 pm

CityGer wrote:Some people are certainly less tollerant of others, particularly if they happen to have differing opinions.

Because of the money?

I don't really get your point mate...
Original Dub

Postby Beeks » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:25 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

34 years mate

Me too. I've got patience with the team and the manager. An I'm only in my mid-twenties so touchwood I've got a lot of time left to see us win things. Having said that, our form is frustrating as hell. Last night was acceptable. we went there aiming to out-play them and got soundly beaten. Fair enough. The same thing might just happen to Spurs at Eastlands. Even so, the run of draws at home against comfortably inferior opposition would have been unaccepotable even when we were shit. No team in the division would be happy with consecutive home draws against Fulham (good side but not the best away), Burnley and Hull. Villa aren't making the same mistakes and that's what'll cost us come May I imagine.

I'm not saying i'm happy with our form...far from it...i'm as frustrated as everyone else

What I AM saying is though that the attitude of some City fans at the moment it quite frankly ludicrous...that..coupled with their intent to slag off the team and manager(No matter who he is) doesn't sit well with me...and it's all down to our cash injection....yes...expectations rise with the amount we have spent...but most would have agreed at the beginning of the season that they would be happy with 6th...now they seem to deludedly think we should be pushing for the title...and trying to be as nasty and bitter as they can along the way

I'm pretty confident that in the near future we will be challenging at the top...i'm just not going to throw a hissy fit if it's not right now
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby mr_nool » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:28 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

34 years mate

Me too. I've got patience with the team and the manager. An I'm only in my mid-twenties so touchwood I've got a lot of time left to see us win things. Having said that, our form is frustrating as hell. Last night was acceptable. we went there aiming to out-play them and got soundly beaten. Fair enough. The same thing might just happen to Spurs at Eastlands. Even so, the run of draws at home against comfortably inferior opposition would have been unaccepotable even when we were shit. No team in the division would be happy with consecutive home draws against Fulham (good side but not the best away), Burnley and Hull. Villa aren't making the same mistakes and that's what'll cost us come May I imagine.

I'm not saying i'm happy with our form...far from it...i'm as frustrated as everyone else

What I AM saying is though that the attitude of some City fans at the moment it quite frankly ludicrous...that..coupled with their intent to slag off the team and manager(No matter who he is) doesn't sit well with me...and it's all down to our cash injection....yes...expectations rise with the amount we have spent...but most would have agreed at the beginning of the season that they would be happy with 6th...now they seem to deludedly think we should be pushing for the title...and trying to be as nasty and bitter as they can along the way

I'm pretty confident that in the near future we will be challenging at the top...i'm just not going to throw a hissy fit if it's not right now

Whilst I agree that the slagging off is taken too far a lot of the time, I think that as a supporter one has every right to question and critizes both players and manager.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:29 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

34 years mate

Eeerrrrrmmmm......

Alan Ball
Frank Clark
Stuart Pearce
Even Peter Reid who got us two 6th spot finishes.

And we certainly weren't solling in money under any of them. Fuck all to do with money. Poor manager is a poor manager.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beeks » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:31 pm

mr_nool wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

34 years mate

Whilst I agree that the slagging off is taken too far a lot of the time, I think that as a supporter one has every right to question and critizes both players and manager.

You're right Nooly...that's not my point though

My point is that some City fans have ridiculously unrealistic expectations at what we can achieve within a short space of time...and that is turning them into the very fans that we used to despise in other teams
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby trout man » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:What was the point with Swales out? Exactly the same as now. People thought we should be doing better. Same as with every manager people wanted to get rid of.

I don't think anything's changed apart from that we have resources we've never had before and after years of going nowhere we have finally chance to progress. Obviously expectations grow as well and so they should be. Few years ago we were panicking whether we can stay afloat so there was hardly any chance to argue about progressing.

Only clear visible change I've seen is the way people talk about rags. While most people used to hate them with varying degree of passion, now it is some sort of badge of honour if you "don't care about them".

I've never understood why we should cherish failure to achieve our targets just because we used to be shite? I'm fookin delighted we aren't down there in 2nd division anymore and absolutely buzzing that we don't have to worry about the future of the club anymore (in financial sense) but that's no excuse for settling for second best.

Agree with most of it, and had you have asked me last night what I thought of Hughes and his team I would certainly have told you that I was disillusioned and probably that he is not the right man for the job. Today is another day and in review, that City performance last night was as bad as I have seen for quite some time against a team that I hate much more than the rags and it hurt. But and the big but is, in the light of day we were playing against a good team on their home ground and every team has their off days, we have had some brilliant performances this year and last night was the first time I have seen the real 'typical city' at work. In fairness to the posters on here that have been critical of Hughes for some time, I was worried that he really didnt have a plan B and the motivation of the players seems poor, though that could be as a result of the money and some of the more mercenary players that we now have at the club. The spurs players last night were enjoying their football and there were no superstars, just grafters and players...thats what I was hoping Hughes would bring to our club and at times he looks like he was doing it and other times I feel he is struggling with Egos, so maybe the money is having both a positive and negative effect.
Hoping our new rollercoaster gives us the thrill of our lives.
trout man
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Ellie and City
My favourite player is: Vinnie

Postby CityGer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:35 pm

Original Dub wrote:
CityGer wrote:Some people are certainly less tollerant of others, particularly if they happen to have differing opinions.

Because of the money?

I don't really get your point mate...

I can only assume so, Dub.

I can never remember there being such outrage and disapproval against people airing their disappointment in the past. We have won one game in ten, are pissing our season away, showing asolutely no signs of improvement yet there are so many attacks on those who show their disappointment and anger over it........Fickle they are!

You tell me, Dub, whether it's down to the money or not, but never before has calling a spade a spade been looked upon so dimly.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: us

Postby mr_nool » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:37 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
My point is that some City fans have ridiculously unrealistic expectations at what we can achieve within a short space of time...and that is turning them into the very fans that we used to despise in other teams

No, we used to despise twats winning all the time and then revelling in it and gloating, and then having tantrums as soon as anything went against them. I do understand your fear that we will turn into that, but I haven't seen it yet, and hope it won't happen. I think our biggest test as suporters will be when we actually start winning things. Right now everything's still quite "typical city".
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:37 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:You're right Nooly...that's not my point though

Well I've never hated teams with big expectations. Chelsea won in "lottery" by getting Abramovich and I for one was only envious of them. Also, they got what they expected.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beeks » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:40 pm

mr_nool wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

No, we used to despise twats winning all the time and then revelling in it and gloating, and then having tantrums as soon as anything went against them. I do understand your fear that we will turn into that, but I haven't seen it yet, and hope it won't happen. I think our biggest test as suporters will be when we actually start winning things. Right now everything's still quite "typical city".

No Nooly we used to be realistic...and now?

We have assembled a team LAST YEAR

and some expect us to be title challengers?

I hate to use the cliche but to some on here it would be wise words

'Rome wasn't built in a day...'
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum