Essential Jan Purchases (Please Read Leslie)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Essential Jan Purchases (Please Read Leslie)

Postby Nick » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:11 pm

From the sounds of things i'd say we need two definite purchases:

1 x CLASS, PHYSICAL, FAST CENTRE FORWARD. I'd go for luis fabiano. Ade is fucking off and even if he wasnt, it sounded like he didnt give a shit today or at Anfield, and there is zero competition for his place with santa cruz the only half fit striker breathing down his neck. There is competition in every other area (maybe bar centre back...)

1 x CLASS, CENTRAL DEFENDER LEADER. ala Terry. Toure is also fucking off and even if he wasnt, I agree with the comments that he is the captain, the senior defender and lescott needs someone that gives him a bit more confidence. Why oh why did we let dunne go.

I honestly dont think MH will be thinking on these lines because he will be striving to keep ade and santa 100% happy, he will never drop lescott and kolo is captain.

I also think we should buy a midfieler; and this would be the third purchase which MH is probably actually well into looking for. Toure or Ribery or someone...
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Re: Essential Jan Purchases (Please Read Leslie)

Postby Citeh&Crew » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:20 pm

Nick wrote:From the sounds of things i'd say we need two definite purchases:

1 x CLASS, PHYSICAL, FAST CENTRE FORWARD. I'd go for luis fabiano. Ade is fucking off and even if he wasnt, it sounded like he didnt give a shit today or at Anfield, and there is zero competition for his place with santa cruz the only half fit striker breathing down his neck. There is competition in every other area (maybe bar centre back...)

1 x CLASS, CENTRAL DEFENDER LEADER. ala Terry. Toure is also fucking off and even if he wasnt, I agree with the comments that he is the captain, the senior defender and lescott needs someone that gives him a bit more confidence. Why oh why did we let dunne go.

I honestly dont think MH will be thinking on these lines because he will be striving to keep ade and santa 100% happy, he will never drop lescott and kolo is captain.

I also think we should buy a midfieler; and this would be the third purchase which MH is probably actually well into looking for. Toure or Ribery or someone...

Agree with most of that, especially about letting Richard Dunne go.. what a freaking TRAGEDY! We cut loose a loyal person, who genuinely loved City, and payed 20+ million for a player who at best, is no better, in my opinion. Actually, judging by what I've seen of Villa this year, and especially today AT OLD TRAFFORD (0-1 Villa wins), Dunne is performing better than Lescott.

As for Toure? Exactly what has he done wrong? He has distributed the ball well today, and was great coming forward. And unlike Lescott, he was not caught out of position at a time that allowed a goal.

Ade is what he is.. he can receive the ball well and hold it, as well as finish well in the box. He does it, from what I have seen, MILES better than RSC does/did, even at Blackburn. Based on this year, I believe RSC is a waste of roster space.
Citeh&Crew

Postby ashton287 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:26 pm

the following are reasons why you are an idiot

reason 1: you dont buy a new player just for 1 month
reason 2: santa is not the only other striker weve got, bellamy and robbie can both play upfront
reason 3: we dont need another centre back, onouha and richards can both cover that position
reason 4: yaya toura is shit, he would be a waste of money considering we have barry, de jong and kompany for that position
reason 5; as stated in reason 4 we have plenty going on in midfield
reason 6; you say it sounded like ade didnt give a shit if you didnt watch the matches dont comment on performances
reason 7; anyone who gives me 5+ reasons to think there an idiot in the space of few sentances must infact be an idiot
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby CityGer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:31 pm

ashton287 wrote:the following are reasons why you are an idiot

reason 2: santa is not the only other striker weve got, bellamy and robbie can both play upfront
reason 3: we dont need another centre back, onouha and richards can both cover that position
reason 4: yaya toura is shit, he would be a waste of money considering we have barry, de jong and kompany for that position
reason 6; you say it sounded like ade didnt give a shit if you didnt watch the matches dont comment on performances
reason 7; anyone who gives me 5+ reasons to think there an idiot in the space of few sentances must infact be an idiot

Awful, isn't it?

I also hate these fuckers who give true assesments of where we are as a team and have the audacity to question people. They're scum and should be outed.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:34 pm

reason 8: you think our manager would have any value on your opinion
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Nick » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:34 pm

Replies:

1) Its not just for the month is it. Santa cruz has looked a bag of wank and we cant afford to drop more points all through the month of Jan while he finds he feet. Ade has no competition. If you think we will win a game with Bellamy, Tevez or robinho up front on their owen in the 4-3-3 you are the idiot. Correct me if im wrong but I dont think we have won a single game or picked up a single point playing bellamy or tevez up front in the lone role. Robby is about as much as a centre forward as Micah is!!!

2) The CB thing is not just for jan. Lescott reverted to gash today, but he is young and I belive its a confidence thing with him. With toure, it is not a confidence thing. He is older and was hardly world class at arsenal. Micah should never be at CB again, hes showing promise at right back. And ned needs to be playing every week to START showing his form. Hes always cost us a goal and a penalty in his 2 x brief appearances.

3) I dont think personally we need yaya, i mentioned those names as its clear we are looking at him and gattuso. IMO if we buy anyone it will be a midfielder and/or a full back. But you mention those players who can fill in and correct me if im wrong, but kompany was absolute gash today, along with barry. Barry is clearly playing with an injury but leslie will clearly keep playing him unless we bought 'a yaya'.

Think about the possible team to go to old trafford in the second leg. Cant see us beating them, even at home with a rusty santa cruz up front in our current system. Bridge would be rusty, as would whoever we pair lescott with. Why not buy??? We need competition. Robby and tevez are pushed every week. Why cant toure, lescott and Ade be tested? Dont forgot Ade was our second choice. We wanted Eto.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Nick » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:38 pm

O.K numpties so your all of the opinion that it will be good to 'settle' for top 6 (at best) and possibly finish 10th, when we have the best opportunity for decades of finishing 4th and winning the league cup with one or two buys?? I cant see our current squad winning an away game against the lesser teams.

And we cant have players putting 80% effort in which it seems Ade has been doing on a few games, Fair enough Ive not seen those matches but im only going by you guys on here!!

The aim is surely to have two TOP CLASS players for each position. Ade, toure and lescott are not world class to begin with. But I'd love to have Maicon and Micah battling for right back for example.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Nick » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:42 pm

Ahh someone talks sense :-).. I seem to have double posted.

Re: Toure, I've personally not seen him really have a game, again for some away games I just go off match reports on here. And tbh some people know fuck all about football. A guy i was speaking to on friday thought SWP was shite against arsenal in the cup (!!!!) and that we should drop him for the weekend. He also said that lescott is wank and should be fucked off immediatly. Lescott had looked excellent recently, from the match thread it just sounds like he was worse than shit today. How can we go from battling clean sheets against chelsea to letting 3 in against the worst team in the league?!?!? COME BACK NIGEL!!!!

Re: the guys having a go in the other thread. Today still proves that we dont have the squad we want. SWP and De Jong get injured and we were fucked.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Typical City » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Nick wrote:O.K numpties

Oh the irony...
Typical City
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Blueboylewis » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:00 pm

For cover for Ade i was thinking why not sign Bojan from Barca on a 4 month loan or something. You know just as cover and Bojan would do well and he is capable of scoring goals. Or maybe even Alexander Pato.
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby david yearsley » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:20 pm

Nick wrote:From the sounds of things i'd say we need two definite purchases:

Common sense imo
We have only 3 recognised C.B.s one of whom is fuclin off and the other who is semi permaently crocked - EVEN WITH MY DODGY MATHS that leaves ONE ! Simply inadequate for a squad with designs on top 4 - ditto central striker - no sorry , that leaves us with NO recognised central striker if you use the same criteria for Crocky as I have for Ned
The bottom line is there is simply not enough cover or competetion for places in these 2 KEY positions - it should be Les´s priority come the chiming of the twelfth bell, but I fear he won´t want to put any noses out of place so expect Samba on loan
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley

Postby Citeh&Crew » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Nick wrote:Ahh someone talks sense :-).. I seem to have double posted.

Re: Toure, I've personally not seen him really have a game, again for some away games I just go off match reports on here. And tbh some people know fuck all about football. A guy i was speaking to on friday thought SWP was shite against arsenal in the cup (!!!!) and that we should drop him for the weekend. He also said that lescott is wank and should be fucked off immediatly. Lescott had looked excellent recently, from the match thread it just sounds like he was worse than shit today. How can we go from battling clean sheets against chelsea to letting 3 in against the worst team in the league?!?!? COME BACK NIGEL!!!!

Re: the guys having a go in the other thread. Today still proves that we dont have the squad we want. SWP and De Jong get injured and we were fucked.

I do believe Lescott can be a great center-back with time, but right now he is wildly inconsistent. From what I saw on the television screen today (i.e. the part of the field on camera and the angle), the third goal was ALL on Lescott, as he was trying to rush back and cover Klasnic on a cross. It was ridiculous how open Klasnic was.

The second goal was a class strike by Cahill. Wonderful turn and hit.. all props to him.

The first goal was all on the refs not picking up Klasnic being offsides (by a GOOD two yards).. and if you want to know about the ref, there is certainly a convincing thread on this board. I've never thought the premiership to have corrupt officials, but today.. today really makes me question things. It wasn't just the missed offsides.. there were a good four other calls/non-calls that shocked me. Among them, Bellers being sent off for "diving" after and receiving a second yellow (when neither I nor my wife watching saw him get the first yellow), and certainly the non-call when Micah got literally dragged to the ground out-of-bounds by a Bolton player, when the ball was absolutely out-of-play and it was to be a goal kick. For me, that should have been an instant yellow on that Bolton player.

Back to your post.. as for SWP, it's not just your friend who is "slagging off" on him; people on this board seem to get on his case even when he does well. I don't get it.. for me, he is doing well for the team despite occasional inconsistency in his game. In fact, I think without his energy down the flank, we lose a lot (as we saw today). He is one of the few players who is willing to go one-on-one fearlessly, and can actually pull it off. He comes back and defends.. sometimes not so well, but often that is as much to do with his weight/size limitation. But still, at least he DOES try and come back. For me, SWP is indispensable.

Furthermore, I wish Ireland would start more games.. he is such a hard worker in the middle, and distributes well. (Heck sometimes he distributes too much.. when he should clearly shoot, but that is another matter)
Citeh&Crew

Postby Nick » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:35 pm

Last two posts bang on the money!! I feel so pissed off that we haven't won today. Yeah the ref was shit, but wasnt the first goal going in anyway? We seem to be able to go and get a goal when we desperately need too, but we cant seem to buy a two goal cushion.

I think we definately need those purchases, but I dont think MH is bold enough for them, especially not for a striker purchase. I dont want to hate on RSC, as I think with a run of games he would get us goals. But A) I think it would take him a significant amount of unproductive game time which we just do not have and B) an in form, hard working petrov putting crosses in.

I just dont have the answer with the defence. Reports say Micah had a good game and silvinho looked shit hot. People have slagged me off for wanting a CB but what does that tell you?! All this talk of lahm and maicon etc. These are full backs who are not focused on defending. Bridge, Silvinho and Micah have all had good games recently. Its the gelling (or lack of) of toure and lescott that is the problem. They just dont seem to be ''playing together'' on occasions and it feels all too 'typical city' shitting myself every time a ball comes in. All 3 goals came from throw ins by the way.

When I've seen villa, dunne and collins are an AMAZING partnership and I think we should have gone in for collins.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Socrates » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:15 am

We don't need new players we need a defensive coach that is less familiar with sheep. That should be number one priority signing.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:28 am

Dear Nick. That is excellent post and you raised lot of questions I hadn't even thought about. I've hardly noticed us conceding goals but now that you said it you might be right. I was planning on using Kompany or Onuoha but you've opened my eyes, I definitely need to dip into transfer market and get towering centerback. What do you think of Chris Samba? I quite like him personally.

Regarding big frontman, you are absolutely right. I've always said that you can't have too many 6ft5+ strikers. Again, what do you think of Chris Samba? What was I thinking when I was planning to play Tevez, Robinho and Bellamy? Thanks for setting me straight.

xxx
Mark

p.s. If you see Mike Johnson tell him he still owes me for that poker game in Christmas party.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Esky » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:44 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Dear Nick. That is excellent post and you raised lot of questions I hadn't even thought about. I've hardly noticed us conceding goals but now that you said it you might be right. I was planning on using Kompany or Onuoha but you've opened my eyes, I definitely need to dip into transfer market and get towering centerback. What do you think of Chris Samba? I quite like him personally.

Regarding big frontman, you are absolutely right. I've always said that you can't have too many 6ft5+ strikers. Again, what do you think of Chris Samba? What was I thinking when I was planning to play Tevez, Robinho and Bellamy? Thanks for setting me straight.

xxx
Mark

p.s. If you see Mike Johnson tell him he still owes me for that poker game in Christmas party.

Haha.

January is a complete mystery to me. Alongside the squad of core starters we have seemingly peripheral players like Petrov who may look to move on. Bringing in two or three or more new faces could upset any sense of rhythm the team has developed.

I think I'd actually be loathe to buy more than one defender. For every good game that Richards has had lately there's been one where he's off colour. The reverse is true for Toure and Lescott - as poor as they were last night, they've been great for a few weeks. A fortnight back it was Bridge, Micah and Zaba everyone thought needed replacing, not the central pairing.

Basically, with everyone in our back line playing so unpredictably, the targets in these threads will change from week to week. Spending another 20 or 30 million (on top of the 50 million already put down) will not help the side settle.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby irblinx » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:15 am

We need a world class RB, other than that there is nothing we need to look at straight away. We are building a squad and have a lot of players that are still settling in. RB is the only position that we constantly look weak in (despite a couple of decent Micah performances). When Lescott plays well (more often than not in the last few games) he links up well with Bridge and a fit Toure (something that has apparently been lacking for a couple of months) does a great job. We have an embarrassment of riches in MF and up front.

Shore up the RHS of defence and let the team settle for a few months then reassess in the summer, other than that look at any possible kids for the future and let's just get on with it
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:44 pm

reason 2:
santa is not the only other striker weve got, bellamy and robbie can both play upfront

I guess Bellers, Robbie and Tvez can all play upfront but the question is how effective will they be.
I thought there was a chance to test this theory yesterday when Ade was taken off. I would have liked to see Petrov come on instead of RSC and Robbie wud have tucked in alongside Tevez. But alas MH decided to go with the tried (and unproven) by bringing on RSC !
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:14 pm

We need a top top RB and that alone would stop much leaking of goals - one who knows the area of the pitch which is his responsibility and covers it rather than leaving it to others
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:02 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:We need a top top RB and that alone would stop much leaking of goals - one who knows the area of the pitch which is his responsibility and covers it rather than leaving it to others

Agree.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum