Shaun Goater interview from FourFourTwo mag...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Shaun Goater interview from FourFourTwo mag...

Postby hyper » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:34 am

Nice little article in FourFourTwo mag about fans singing songs for players. Typed this in by hand so apologies for any typos...

Shaun Goater
The Bermudan recounts how that memorable chant changed his life

Do you remember the first time Man City fans chanted your name?
It was one of the best moments of my career. I'd had a bit of a rough start at Maine Road. I was signed by Joe Royle to keep us in Division 1 towards the end of the 1997-98 season but we were relegated on the final day. I don't think the City fans rated me and my confidence was suffering. It got to the stage that when Joe read the team out I was willing him to drop me. Then I began to study a player the fans loved – Paul Dickov. He'd chase every ball so I thought 'That's what I've got to do'. It meant changing the way I played but after a few months, I was doing what Dicky had been doing and I could feel the fans beginning to warm to me. The first time they sang my name was when I'd been made captain for an away match at Grimsby. It was an honour to lead the lads out and I was popping up in both boxes to make sure that we didn't lose. Towards the end, the travelling City fans sang 'There's only one Shaun Goater!' and I knew I'd turned things around.

Do you remember the first time you heard Feed the Goat?
My first memory was during a 4-0 win over Kevin Keegan's Fulham. The lads came in at half-time and said, 'Did you hear that song Goat?' I hadn't, but I listened out for it and loved it – an original song in my honour and, even if I say so myself, one of the best I'd ever heard.

It became a phenomenon, didn't it?
That song changed my life. Everyone seemed to like it and there were no insulting versions from opposing fans. The newspapers ran stories and it became something of an English football catchphrase, especially when 'Soccer AM' invented a game called 'Feed the Goat' in my honour. It raised my profile and I'd be lying if I didn't say that I sang it under breath one or two times. I remember during training Joe Royle shouted to one of the lads, 'Feed the Goat!' Every time I heard it, it put a spring in my step and gave my confidence to try stuff I might no have done before because I knew the fans were all with me – I think that's why I scored so many goals for City.

Is it true other fans tried to imitate it?
I recall the Birmingham fans singing 'Feed the Horse' in honour of Geoff Horsefield. My lawyers also looked at copyright infringement.

And when you left City that song stayed with you...
If there's one moment that will stay with me forever, it's the final game of my career with Southend. We were playing against Bristol City, another of my former clubs, and about 400 Manchester City fans had travelled down to Roots Hall to bid me farewell. At one point, all three sets of fans were singing 'Feed the Goat'. I'm not sure who invented that song, but I owe that guy a pint.
hyper
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: The Goat

Re: Shaun Goater interview from FourFourTwo mag...

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:39 am

Top lad, he is.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:40 pm

Great read its nice to hear he cared so much about how the fans thought about him. He was a special player.
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:34 pm

I INVENTED THAT SONG.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Twobob » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:36 pm

Goater is a Legend! Thanks for typing it all in too Hyper :-)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Mase » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Good read that Hyper, thanks for putting it up.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:03 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:I INVENTED THAT SONG.

i thought you invented gambling, and alpaca fur, and totty. No?

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Goataldo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:15 pm

Shaun Leonardo Goater. Truly a legend. I love him like a fat kid loves cake.

Does anyone remember that song of his that had 'he pops up, like toast from a toaster' in it? I can't remeber how it went or the rest of the lyrics.

He had more original songs than any player I've ever seen at City or anywhere else, and deservedly. And I'm sure he had predator shinpads!

"Sometimes, all I need is the air that I breathe and Shaun Goater!"

"Who let the Goat out?"

"Ber-nar-bia! I wanna knowowow, when you'll feed my Goat"! (ok the last one technically could be Ali B's tune, but that's splittin hairs.
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Return to The Maine Football forum