"Big Club"

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: "Big Club"

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:02 am

I once had a table that pulled together quite well many of the deciding factors of what makes a big club. It was based on seasons in the top flight, trophies, Seasons in Europe, average attendances etc, with points awarded for each. We came in at a rather disappointing 8th. Around the same level as Sunderland.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:I'm never sure, cos it's disloyal to not see City as a big club, but...

the OP is right we are about 9th in terms of the tin we've won. However it's less than ten cups (excluding Charity shields) and 4 (+1) of them were won 1968-1970.
That was the only time we've put a string of successes together. Otherwise we've spread them out a bit 1904 1934 1956...
I'm not saying they should be ignored. The opposite. But there's an argument that for 120+ of our 125 years (sorry John) we haven't even been top 10.
That said we are a fuckin big club and getting bigger.

That's not really true though. We've gathered 9th most points during the existence of English top flight out of all the clubs so overall we've been there and thereabouts most of the time.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:06 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:2) Fan base. If it's a matter of fanbase and unwavering attendances during shit periods, then we fall into this category.

I have been in crowds of 17-18,000 at City and my old man has been in crowds of under 10,000, including the infamous smallest league crowd in our history. So do we really fit into this big unwavering fanbase thing?

I think it is irrelevant as any fanbase criterion is nothing more than an emotional crutch for the unsuccessful. How many fans we've got or had would mean fuck all if we were winning trophies regularly. Did any City fans from the late 60s and early 70s give a monkey's crutchpiece what the crowds were in the 67-68 season? Not the ones I know.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum