Citys Spending is Over

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Citys Spending is Over

Postby Fish111 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:12 am

Manchester City's big-spending days could be nearing an end, according to Mark Hughes. The Eastlands manager says he is happy with the business the club has done this summer, and while he does not rule out future additions to the squad in transfer windows to come, he does not expect spending on the same scale to be necessary.

City have splashed out £93m on Carlos Tevez, Emmanuel Adebayor, Kolo Touré, Roque Santa Cruz and Gareth Barry, and seem certain to push their overall spending past £100m if they succeed in taking Joleon Lescott from Everton or turn elsewhere for a replacement. That level of outlay, Hughes said, not to mention player turnover, is unsustainable.

"We've done excellent business in this window and made huge strides in a short space of time," Hughes said. "It may take a few more windows before we can say we are one of the top teams in the Premier League, but I don't think we will be spending on this scale again. The players we've brought in this summer will sustain us. I'm sure we will be adding in future windows, but not buying on the scale we have this summer."

Putting a brave face on City's failure to tempt John Terry from Chelsea, Hughes said his side was not short on strong characters and natural leaders.

"We've got a very experienced squad now," Hughes said. "We made a list of all the individual honours within the squad and we've got Champions League winners, Premier League winners, FA Cup winners, top internationals. We've also got six or seven players who have captained their previous clubs, so they understand what it takes.

"We think within the group we have what we need to be successful. You have to know what it takes to win trophies, you have to be able to come back from situations, and there are individuals in this group who do and will come to the fore."

"The key in the Premier League is winning back to back, home and away, that can really make a difference. We've got to try and build that ability into our play. I fully expect us to be stronger as a group this season, but we're not kidding ourselves. We've raised our profile in the Premier League and everyone will be out to stop us. No one is going to step aside and let us through.

"Every Premier League manager is under pressure, it is pressure you bring on yourself. We aim to be one of the best prepared teams in the Premier League, and I'll back us against anybody. I've got more tools to do the job this season, we are in better shape than we were last year. We've added to the quality and you've got a better chance of winning games with better players.

"We're pleased with the business that we've done, the challenge is to be the best that we can be. We know we have to address our away form to have a successful season, and we've got the chance to do that on the first day. A nice, positive result at Blackburn would set the tone for all of our away games this season. It was patently obvious that our away form wasn't good enough last season.

"Not that it is ever easy at Blackburn. I would much rather be kicking off at home."
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Re: Citys Spending is Over

Postby Vhero » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:20 am

I hope he means its done when we get a CB sorted..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby bluelingy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:47 am

Any one think we could get a last day Biggy!! and who is thear left for us to have a go at!!
not being greedy like, just you never know!
bluelingy
Robinho's Step Over

Postby saulman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:20 am

and while he does not rule out future additions

Stopped reading there.
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:26 am

If Lionel Messi was interested in coming they'd blow the same amount again just to get him, so this isn't really a very accurate piece.

I think what he really means is they won't be signing a large number of players in any of the future windows; just the odd 1 or 2.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:11 am

Another article where the headline bears hardly any relation to the content it seems.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:45 am

saulman wrote:
and while he does not rule out future additions

Stopped reading there.

I agree.... the mantra from Hughes has always been "if top quality players become available...." Nothing will change. If Messi suddenly comes available we will be in for him, even if it's August 31st...
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Arnason » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:10 pm

That´s good, now we can focused on play football, and get the team together, but also I would like to have one CB more, I think we should stop bidding for Lescott, Everton are not going to sell him.
I wondering why we don´t go for Samba? I think, beacause we don´t have the tallest player, that he would be great in corners, free kicks, he is big, strong, good tackling and great heading, he is a monster!! I would love to see him come!:)
Arnason
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Postby King Kev » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:22 am

It would seem that the spending wasn't quite over after all!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby john@staustell » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:25 am

Obviously Les had higher hopes for the players he bought than turned out to be the reality. In fact as Bellers says, we got whatever we could to take us to the next level, and then we have to move again.

It will stabilise when we reach that level. And hopefully we are now close.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Blue Blood » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:28 am

King Kev wrote:It would seem that the spending wasn't quite over after all!

Spending still isn't quite over, although tbh i hope Milner is the last for a while. I think we finally have the squad to win things, we just need to get them gelled and then we should be sorted :D

Good times ahead!
Blue Blood

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Cityfan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:29 am

I think the other big factor is the 'financial fair play rules', whereby money spent this transfer window does not count in the overall scheme of things so we are signing more players than we otherwise would have done.
Cityfan
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby Blue Blood » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:39 am

Cityfan wrote:I think the other big factor is the 'financial fair play rules', whereby money spent this transfer window does not count in the overall scheme of things so we are signing more players than we otherwise would have done.

I totally agree there, also all the players we are signing are pretty young, the long term future of the club is very much a large part of the thinking behind these transfers :D
Blue Blood

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:00 pm

Cityfan wrote:I think the other big factor is the 'financial fair play rules', whereby money spent this transfer window does not count in the overall scheme of things so we are signing more players than we otherwise would have done.

Yeah, but I bet nobody on here know's how it will effect us?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby King Kev » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

I don't. Please enlighten me.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:00 pm

King Kev wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

I don't. Please enlighten me.

It's all new to me.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby crossan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:19 pm

No surely not,its a joke I am sure that with 14 days left (including today) there is still money to buy 5 or 6 world class additions to the squad,what about Kaka again or Eto,Schweinsteiger,Muller................they would jump at the chance to clinch a big money move to us,we could easily make room just get shut of the chaff at the club like SWP,Zabaletta,Bridge,we could send them out on loan to somewhere or other,we need to make sure that we can clinch the Premiership this season if the owner is serious about it!!
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby Scatman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm just looking forward to seeing Chris Samba come
Scatman

Postby Blue Blood » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:29 pm

crossan wrote:No surely not,its a joke I am sure that with 14 days left (including today) there is still money to buy 5 or 6 world class additions to the squad,what about Kaka again or Eto,Schweinsteiger,Muller................they would jump at the chance to clinch a big money move to us,we could easily make room just get shut of the chaff at the club like SWP,Zabaletta,Bridge,we could send them out on loan to somewhere or other,we need to make sure that we can clinch the Premiership this season if the owner is serious about it!!

Are you ITK crossan, are we really in for Kaka again and Eto,Schweinsteiger,Muller, wow, i thought we were done, exciting times! Positively jizzing my pants in anticipation here, you better not be wrong!

We are gonnna win the league, too right we have gotta shift the reserve year old signings!

*cough*

I jest ;P
Blue Blood

Postby HeyMark » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:12 pm

Scatman wrote:I'm just looking forward to seeing Chris Samba come

Holy shit mate I've just woke up from a kip and dreamt that we'd signed chris samba!

It must be fucking happening
HeyMark

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum