David Silva is a...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: David Silva is a...

Postby Nick » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:15 pm

No comparisons to Best? I like the kinki one myself, it was my mum and dad that mentioned Best, think its just the hair.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby john@staustell » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:17 pm

The whole match changed as soon as Ade's arse hit the bench. Bit simplistic to say he 'should have started' because a fresh, sharp Silva totally flummoxed the tired Blackpool team who had got into a system blocking our first formation. Maybe if Silva had started we would've been up against the same barriers.

But that's what our current status and dosh allows us to do - bring on players like Silva, Richards and Vieira when the oppo are on their last legs.

Certainly should start against Poznan though - unless Bobby saves him as a special treat for Arsene Whinger!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Nick » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:49 pm

john@staustell wrote:The whole match changed as soon as Ade's arse hit the bench. Bit simplistic to say he 'should have started' because a fresh, sharp Silva totally flummoxed the tired Blackpool team who had got into a system blocking our first formation. Maybe if Silva had started we would've been up against the same barriers.

But that's what our current status and dosh allows us to do - bring on players like Silva, Richards and Vieira when the oppo are on their last legs.

Certainly should start against Poznan though - unless Bobby saves him as a special treat for Arsene Whinger!

Hm I would save him for the arse. I said today I could honestly see Mancini keeping ade for the best against arsenal, then maybe he can start on thursday.

Mancini is stubborn and seems to do the opposite to what the media and players expect. I can see him holding ade back to get him more and more motivated on sunday. He did this at the emirates.

Re: thursday, I think RSC deserves a chance at some point
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:06 am

Silva is really looking like he'll be something special for us. I still don't think we'll see the absolute best of him til next season personally but even so, he'll be fucking good this one & get better & better.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby getdressedmctavish » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:37 am

As ever all or nothing on here. He was anonymous v Toon. The game was screamin for him after 10 mins today with two donkeys in mf and Bpool playing round them. Lovely goal and very early days Elano, but we will still struggle to accomodate him unless he can bring more to his game from the start.At the moment Milner is ahead of him, which says it all, really.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby john68 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:47 am

That is a very harsh critique mate but i suppose we all see things i our own way.
For me Silva has needed more time than others to physically adjust to the Prem. Maybe it's his slight physique or just that he needed to adjust to the different pace and physicality of the English game.
What was noticeable even in those early days was his positioning and his vision. it was obvious that even if the body was lacking, the brain wasn't.
As the season has progressed, we have seen a steady improvement in his game and against chelsea he often won the ball back high up the field for us.
I see no link an any way to Elano, I think as time goes by, we will see him become the player that pulls our strings and governs the flow of our game. Silva will become an absolute legend...bit by bit...He still needs time.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:01 am

Nick wrote:
john@staustell wrote:The whole match changed as soon as Ade's arse hit the bench. Bit simplistic to say he 'should have started' because a fresh, sharp Silva totally flummoxed the tired Blackpool team who had got into a system blocking our first formation. Maybe if Silva had started we would've been up against the same barriers.

Hm I would save him for the arse. I said today I could honestly see Mancini keeping ade for the best against arsenal, then maybe he can start on thursday.

Mancini is stubborn and seems to do the opposite to what the media and players expect. I can see him holding ade back to get him more and more motivated on sunday. He did this at the emirates.

Agreed - 90th minite.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Lee_R » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:55 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Nick wrote:

Agreed - 90th minite.

lmfao!
Lee_R
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:27 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Funny to hear Mancini say that Adebayor played a good game.

i need to watch the replay, but i had a sense that while a bit quiet Ade was kind of getting stuck in.

tin hat??
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:36 am

brite blu sky wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Funny to hear Mancini say that Adebayor played a good game.

i need to watch the replay, but i had a sense that while a bit quiet Ade was kind of getting stuck in.

tin hat??

honestly ill get under that tin hat with you mate...i didn't think he was dreadful. He wasn't a world beater, but the criticism is much harsher than the actuality of what i watched. He needs a run of half-dozen matches to bang in 2 or 3 and get his confidence up. That's all.

Also, has anyone mentioned that the defending for Silva's 'wonder goal' was like fucking so abysmal to make the goal literally comical. i mean i loved Silva's play for the first goal in getting the cross into Tevez, and sure Silva had a good spell and changed the match...fantastic. That's what he's supposed to do. But all the fuss over how fucking amazing his goal was needs to be tempered with the consideration that what we viewed was some of the shittest defending i've seen in a while. If we'd seen that on youtube from the Dutch league we'd be laffing our asses off. Just sayin...

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:51 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:

tin hat??

honestly ill get under that tin hat with you mate...i didn't think he was dreadful. He wasn't a world beater, but the criticism is much harsher than the actuality of what i watched. He needs a run of half-dozen matches to bang in 2 or 3 and get his confidence up. That's all.

Also, has anyone mentioned that the defending for Silva's 'wonder goal' was like fucking so abysmal to make the goal literally comical. i mean i loved Silva's play for the first goal in getting the cross into Tevez, and sure Silva had a good spell and changed the match...fantastic. That's what he's supposed to do. But all the fuss over how fucking amazing his goal was needs to be tempered with the consideration that what we viewed was some of the shittest defending i've seen in a while. If we'd seen that on youtube from the Dutch league we'd be laffing our asses off. Just sayin...

cheers

im not buying that.. looked to me that Silva just did what he does... not sure any defenders would have been any better.

soccer is so coool sometimes don t you think?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Slim » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:22 am

john68 wrote:[center]STOP[/center]

HE IS NOT KINKLADZE...HE IS DAVID SILVA...HE IS HIS OWN MAN, AN INDIVIDUAL, DESERVING OF HIS OWN PRAISE WITHOUT COMPARISON TO ANYONE ELSE.

Hammer Time?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dazby » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:09 am

Ade wasn't poor, just average. The aerial route should do Blackpool a lot of damage as they didn't look comfortable. Stoke will smash em.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby john@staustell » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:28 am

dazby wrote:Ade wasn't poor, just average. The aerial route should do Blackpool a lot of damage as they didn't look comfortable. Stoke will smash em.

Normally I back Ade. But at Blackpool he couldn't trap a ball or pass a ball, constantly offside sometimes inexplicably, couldn't get on the end of tap-ins shot across the goal, didn't make one successful tackle to my memory, constant mis-control. I dont really subscibe to the 'lazy' theory, but yesterday he was lousy end of poor. Including in the air.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby ant london » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:18 am

I loved Kinkladze and he was capable of magic and of lighting up that awful team.

However, he was inconsistent and he did not remotely get stuck in to the extent that Silva has shown he will during his time in Spain and thus far for City.

Sure Silva has a much better team framework in which to showcase his talents but limiting him to a comparison to Kinkladze is, in my view, a bit of an insult to a player who has performed consistently at a higher level that the Georgian Genius ever did.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby john@staustell » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:28 am

ant london wrote:I loved Kinkladze and he was capable of magic and of lighting up that awful team.

However, he was inconsistent and he did not remotely get stuck in to the extent that Silva has shown he will during his time in Spain and thus far for City.

Sure Silva has a much better team framework in which to showcase his talents but limiting him to a comparison to Kinkladze is, in my view, a bit of an insult to a player who has performed consistently at a higher level that the Georgian Genius ever did.

Agreed Ant. Kinkladze was a spark in very dark times, but he was never 'world class'. He did a few things that no-one else could do, and scored some brilliant goals, but that was followed by long periods - and whole matches - of complete anonymity. At the time I saw all his matches for us - pity me!! Sometimes it was like playing constantly with 10 men. Goal against Southampton was one of the best ever though. If Giggs had scored it we'd see it every other week on TV.

Much like Elano his world status is underlined by how other Euro clubs rated him - no-one wanted Elano except Galatasaray and Kinky disappeared without trace at Ajax.

Silva is a completely different kettle of fish. He was previously regarded as 'world class' when linked with the likes of Scum (until he signed for City of course!), and we are now starting to see why. Like many Spanish League players he took a while to adjust to the pace, but now looks the real deal - constantly involved and capable of wonders. Wasn't there a thread about us having no creativity?
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby mr_nool » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:28 am

Slim wrote:
john68 wrote:[center]STOP[/center]

HE IS NOT KINKLADZE...HE IS DAVID SILVA...HE IS HIS OWN MAN, AN INDIVIDUAL, DESERVING OF HIS OWN PRAISE WITHOUT COMPARISON TO ANYONE ELSE.

Hammer Time?

no, collaborate and listen.

Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby King Kev » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:28 am

Just to clarify.

When I compare Silva to Kinkladze it is because of their similar stature, their one-footedness, their willingness to take the ball in any situation, their amazing quick feet and their ability to change a game.

I am not comparing what they have acheived in their careers or their ability as players.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby s1ty m » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:10 am

silva is everything that elano is not. ie, a brilliant footballer.

what separates worlds class from the others, imho, is space; the great players are always in space. think about bell, always in space. silva finds space. just watch him without the ball, he's wonderful, always looking for gaps to run into.

trust me, this fella is better than kinky. any comparison with the tart that was and is elano is laughable. silva could be the spark that makes our title challenge real, because we are definitely in the title race, no question. add super mario into this equation and we start to look awesomely powerful, on paper. for a team playing iffy, not exactly convincing stuff, at times, imagine when the whole thing comes togther? wow.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:24 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:

tin hat??

cheers

Or crying if it happened to City in an FA Cup final.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum