EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby twosips » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:17 pm

Doug - I hope for your sake you were asking for Steven and not 'twosips' - men in white coats would be turning up pronto otherwise ha. I'll catch you on Wednesday.

Couldn't get to the u18s game this morning as i had a job interview. Ah well. Can't see em all. Fernandes sounds good though - didn't realise how good he was potentially. Where did we get him from then?

Glad others enjoy this thread too. Definitely my favourite on here - its just refreshing really as it can get really, really gloomy at times in other threads. If any of you can get to the youth games i'd really recommend it. I only started going when we moved to the CFA game, but read up as much as i could prior to that, and i love it. I'd never been to a youth team game prior. It's this weird novel experience of being enjoyable without any stress or idiots around you moaning about Navas or Fernando regardless of how they play. It's just exciting, good football played in usually a good competitive spirit.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:23 pm

I was asking for Steven but the men in white coats were still looking at me with interest!

Not sure where Fernandez came from but he is quality.I should have asked the couple I was with today as they took him into their house to look after him when he first came over to City. They tell me he is a wonderful young man and with their current lodger they can now boast a full under 18 team having stayed with them.

I was in the middle of saying to them how highly a rated Garcia albeit he was having a quiet game when he slipped a gem of a ball through for Buckley to score the first. Just on today I would say Fernandez had the better game but both of them ooze quality.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:30 pm

How old is Garcia, Doug.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby twosips » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:40 pm

Date of birth: 02/01/1998

Just turned seventeen then.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby twosips » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:41 pm

Found this re: Fernandes too.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/paolo-fe ... ler/284876

He's only 16 still and will be until the start of next season. God, we really do have some talent at this club.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:44 pm

twosips wrote:Date of birth: 02/01/1998

Just turned seventeen then.

Has he had games with the U19s also.
There seems to be a bit of a buzz about him.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:47 pm

twosips wrote:Found this re: Fernandes too.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/paolo-fe ... ler/284876

He's only 16 still and will be until the start of next season. God, we really do have some talent at this club.

Wow really only 16!! He really is a bit tasty if he's only 16. Seems to take the physical stuff quite well but he does have a sublime touch about him.There was a moment today when he cut in from the right and threatened to shoot but then went back again and seemed to be engulfed but most of the Derby defence.How he got through with the ball baffled me but he did and set up a great chance.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:08 am

I notice Diallo got hooked at half time for Celina.

I have only seen a bit of Diallo, but one game I saw on the net, playing abroad on a really terrible pitch, he was skipping over the ground like it was perfect, at pace, whilst everyone else was struggling to control the ball or pass it. If I remember rightly, Fernades & Garcia may have both been playing in that game, along with Will Patching & one or two other highly skilled individuals.

Could have been a one off I suppose, but on that day, he looked like the best player in the bunch, by a country mile. He is only 15.

Brahim Abdelkader Díaz (new Messi) has only just turned 16 a few days ago. So that's probably why we haven't heard much about him.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:21 am

I'm reading that Greg Leigh scored a 'scorcher' for Crewe yesterday, anyone seen it? I've tried to find a vid online to no avail.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby blues2win » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:17 am

A lot of talk that we're in for Nayvin Kurzawa of Monaco. Maybe it's the same piece being recycled, maybe not. He may well be a good attacking left back to replace Kolarov. He's 22 and you wonder where this would leave Angelino.
blues2win
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:23 am

blues2win wrote:A lot of talk that we're in for Nayvin Kurzawa of Monaco. Maybe it's the same piece being recycled, maybe not. He may well be a good attacking left back to replace Kolarov. He's 22 and you wonder where this would leave Angelino.

Dump one of the two current left backs, bring one in who is (hopefully) better & younger, gradually bring through Angelino who is four & a half years younger than him, then get rid of the other older fb if/when Angelino is ready.

The bits I've seen of Kurzawa, he looks as much a winger as a fullback though. I could imagine both of them swapping positions on that side.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:28 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I notice Diallo got hooked at half time for Celina.

I have only seen a bit of Diallo, but one game I saw on the net, playing abroad on a really terrible pitch, he was skipping over the ground like it was perfect, at pace, whilst everyone else was struggling to control the ball or pass it. If I remember rightly, Fernades & Garcia may have both been playing in that game, along with Will Patching & one or two other highly skilled individuals.

Could have been a one off I suppose, but on that day, he looked like the best player in the bunch, by a country mile. He is only 15.

Brahim Abdelkader Díaz (new Messi) has only just turned 16 a few days ago. So that's probably why we haven't heard much about him.

He was taken off and I didn't notice any injury. Didn't notice him much in that first half but maybe as Derby were intent on the physical side of the game City might have thought about protecting him. Not that he is a frail lad.

Marcus Wood was our strength in midfield and I thought he had a very good game and bearing in mind 3 of our others in there were Garcia,Fernandez and Celina there isn't much power and strength in them is there?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:49 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I notice Diallo got hooked at half time for Celina.

He was taken off and I didn't notice any injury. Didn't notice him much in that first half but maybe as Derby were intent on the physical side of the game City might have thought about protecting him. Not that he is a frail lad.

Marcus Wood was our strength in midfield and I thought he had a very good game and bearing in mind 3 of our others in there were Garcia,Fernandez and Celina there isn't much power and strength in them is there?

Not at all.

There are a few who have played together in that general age group, Wood, Patching, Nemane, Lukas Nmecha etc who looked very promising. I know one or two have been released but hopefully we will see a few from that age group impressing in the future, as much as some of the current crop.

That African lad who played for us in the Alkaas tournament looked a bit special in centre mid. Hopefully we have got first dibs on him & have him stashed away somewhere just in case.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:59 am

Ernest Agyiri waa one of them in the Alkass tournament wasn't he? He looked great.

vine.co/v/OEJO6LLbbvg - Greg Leigh's goal by the way. Decent finish that.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:05 pm

twosips wrote:Ernest Agyiri waa one of them in the Alkass tournament wasn't he? He looked great.

vine.co/v/OEJO6LLbbvg - Greg Leigh's goal by the way. Decent finish that.

Nice, thanks Twosips.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby twosips » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:09 pm

No probs.

Read that the 'new Messi, that Brahim lad, hasn't got international clearance hence no u18s games but he could only apply once he turned 16 which he has now. They'll be trying to sort that now but it can take a very long time apparently. Fingers crossed it doesn't take too long as it'd be great to see him line up for the u18s.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Ernest Agyiri was the geezer yeah.

Exceptional in that tournament. Best player in it, imo. I've since seen him listed as a City player but not sure of the reliability of the source(s).

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:29 pm

I can't imagine there'll be room for two full backs in the first team squad so Angelino would have to stay one more year with the EDS or go loan somewhere. May not do him any harm I suppose. There's an Everton left back who's pretty small and has made it to the England team.. Hopefully Angelino will spurt two or three inches; there's still time at just 18.
blues2win
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:21 pm

blues2win wrote:I can't imagine there'll be room for two full backs in the first team squad so Angelino would have to stay one more year with the EDS or go loan somewhere. May not do him any harm I suppose. There's an Everton left back who's pretty small and has made it to the England team.. Hopefully Angelino will spurt two or three inches; there's still time at just 18.

He probably won't need to. Just fill out a bit more & gain a bit of experience.

Even if Kolarov or Clichy left with no cover, I doubt Angelino would start that many first team games. He has only just turned 18 in Jan. Next season he is still eligible to play in our U18s team, even though he plays in the U21s. So there's no reason he can't play a season in the U21s & various youth cup competitions, whilst also having the occasional role in the first team squad & play the odd game.

Same with most of them. I don't expect them to start regularly. Just to figure here & there & gain a bit of experience. Then by this time next year, this group are all round about 19, 20, 21 & we can get a better idea which ones are first team squad, which need a bit more time, maybe loan deals, & which need to go.

I don't think it would do these lads any harm to spend another season with Vieira, so long as Pellegrini gives them a bit of time here and there. I imagine they would be quite a unit if the best of them stayed together next season.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:34 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
blues2win wrote:I can't imagine there'll be room for two full backs in the first team squad so Angelino would have to stay one more year with the EDS or go loan somewhere. May not do him any harm I suppose. There's an Everton left back who's pretty small and has made it to the England team.. Hopefully Angelino will spurt two or three inches; there's still time at just 18.

He probably won't need to. Just fill out a bit more & gain a bit of experience.

Even if Kolarov or Clichy left with no cover, I doubt Angelino would start that many first team games. He has only just turned 18 in Jan. Next season he is still eligible to play in our U18s team, even though he plays in the U21s. So there's no reason he can't play a season in the U21s & various youth cup competitions, whilst also having the occasional role in the first team squad & play the odd game.

Same with most of them. I don't expect them to start regularly. Just to figure here & there & gain a bit of experience. Then by this time next year, this group are all round about 19, 20, 21 & we can get a better idea which ones are first team squad, which need a bit more time, maybe loan deals, & which need to go.

I don't think it would do these lads any harm to spend another season with Vieira, so long as Pellegrini gives them a bit of time here and there. I imagine they would be quite a unit if the best of them stayed together next season.

When you see the age of some of these guys playing in U19 and U21 games it really does give hope and encouragement, for the future. But, someone a few pages back, I think, mentioned how small Angelino is. I don't know if it was tongue-in-cheek but I seem to remember someone saying he was 4' 6" which seems very small. The guy obviously has the talent to be playing against bigger opposition, but you would worry that he would never make it at Premiership level if that was true. Those of you in the know, he must be well over 5 ft. surely.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum