Wilfred Bony - possible January Signing

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Wilfred Bony - possible January Signing

Postby mr_nool » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:21 pm

I'm not excited but still more than happy with this piece of business.
What we don't know, however, is how good Bony is against teams that park the bus, which is a tactic 9/10 teams seem to deploy against us. I do imagine that he will score quite a few with his head, but to me his main strengths are as a target man and shooting from outside the box. I don't think his first touch is much better than Dzeko's and i wonder if he would adept well to our possession and patience based attacking style with loads of short passing.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby patrickblue » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:26 pm

mr_nool wrote:I'm not excited but still more than happy with this piece of business.
What we don't know, however, is how good Bony is against teams that park the bus, which is a tactic 9/10 teams seem to deploy against us. I do imagine that he will score quite a few with his head, but to me his main strengths are as a target man and shooting from outside the box. I don't think his first touch is much better than Dzeko's and i wonder if he would adept well to our possession and patience based attacking style with loads of short passing.

Well, for a start he'll actually make it worthwhile for us to win corners, and when the bus is parked, that's a huge plus, and something that's sadly lacking ATM.
I'm with PD, hugely excited.

And to add, Swansea play the same way as us, possession football.
Just not as well.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Sue Perb » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:33 pm

dazby wrote:I don't believe it's a signing purely for this season. I think it's a squad adjustment.

Agree, I think one of Dzeko or Jovetic is gone in the summer. Or maybe even both.

I think that's a really good and apposite comment!

We may have 'developed' them (Edin & Stefan) both to their maximum potential - sell'm on and start a fresh with two new lads, alongside Sergio & Wilfreid
“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”

"Sarcasm helps keep you from telling people what you really think of them."
Sue Perb
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby MilnersJaw » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:34 pm

I can't believe we paid 30 million for him. This isn't 2008 we aren't in the position where we need to play stupid inflated prices just because we can afford it.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:41 pm

£30 mil. seems a lot, but to be honest, who else would you get in January that's any better for that price.
I find the timing a bit odd considering that he won't be able play for a while, when we actually need a striker right away. I understand that it is not a quick fix and that he is being bought for the long-term, which I am actually quite pleased with. I think he could be a success here. Always liked his attitude in any games I've seen him in. Always gives teams trouble. All the talk about whether he is an upgrade on Negredo or not. Well, I quite liked Negredo's style and it complimented Aguero's game, but I knew nothing of him before he came to City. There was not a lot of people on here that were overly enthused about his arrival, if I recall, with a few exceptions.
Bony is already tried and tested in the Premiership. I have a good feeling that he can build a similar relationship with Aguero. Where that leaves Dzeko in the pecking order is really up to him.
If his delayed arrival means we stick with what we have at our disposal at the moment, then so be it. The count obviously has a plan to get through the next month. I'd love to see Iheanacho get a permit or promote one of the kids. Either would be a gamble. Just get through the Arsenal and Chelsea games without losing and I'd be happy.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby ant london » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:42 pm

If he is a hit it will be adios Dzonkey......that's almost the best thing about this
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby mr_nool » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:44 pm

patrickblue wrote:
mr_nool wrote:I'm not excited but still more than happy with this piece of business.

Well, for a start he'll actually make it worthwhile for us to win corners, and when the bus is parked, that's a huge plus, and something that's sadly lacking ATM.
I'm with PD, hugely excited.

And to add, Swansea play the same way as us, possession football.
Just not as well.

Well, we basically agree then, with the exception of you being excited and me merely happy.
And yes, Swansea plays possession football (although they are much more direct now than a couple of seasons ago), but not against such tightly packed defenses as we do.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby kinkylola » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:46 pm

Slim wrote:I am in no way buying into the 'proven goalscorer' hype, as we'll know if he's a success when he's actually at City and not before....BUT....

This is a player I think perfectly suited to partner Aguero, plays with his back to goal, strong, holds the ball up. Aguero running off the shoulder and we'll see Bony rival Silva for assists. I think the Count has finally got the idea if you want to play everything through the middle, you better have the players to do that. Expect Dzeko to be shipped in the summer and Nacho to be moved up as 4th striker.

Agree, and I'm excited to see a powerful forward who actually stays central and bodies defenders. Aguero, or any attacker running out that will benefit greatly.

I also think it's dzeko that leaves, similar in build to bony, but worse. Dzeko is a big man trying to play a quick man's game ... Bony is a big man that dominates physically.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Original Dub » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:52 pm

Some seriously stupid posts in this thread.

Bony can't play up front on his own?!!

Oh dear
Original Dub

Postby clippo22 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:53 pm

Very excited by this signing and I actually think he's a bit of a bargain! What other strikers would we get for that money? And do people really Cavani? I don't like his attitude or his ultra tight shirts, and I still haven't forgiven him for ruining our champs league debut!
clippo22
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: City!!!
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:57 pm

ant london wrote:If he is a hit it will be adios Dzonkey......that's almost the best thing about this

Dzeko's been terrible this season. Wouldn't be too surprised if we sell him this window tbh, FFP and all that..
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:59 pm

john@staustell wrote:
ant london wrote:If he is a hit it will be adios Dzonkey......that's almost the best thing about this

Dzeko's been terrible this season. Wouldn't be too surprised if we sell him this window tbh, FFP and all that..

cant see that, he is due back from injury and we need strikers this month with the tough games coming up
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:00 pm

it's all gone quiet regarding dzeko's injury. perhaps we've already agreed to sell and have been keeping him on ice?
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:12 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:it's all gone quiet regarding dzeko's injury. perhaps we've already agreed to sell and have been keeping him on ice?

We play Chelsea on 31st Jane, but the Transfer window is open until 11pm on Monday 2nd Feb. If we are to sell Dzeko, it would be after the Chelsea game IMO. If the Ivory Coast do well, they will be back two weeks after that, so its a calculated gamble if thats the case,
Wonderwall

Postby SomeMichaelGuy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:23 pm

Incidentally four years to the day since Edin signed.

I'm also quite underwhelmed with Bony and not too happy about the transfer fee mentioned, hoping I'm proved wrong. Just have to have faith that people with better footballing brains than mine are making the right call and that he does actually bring something new.
SomeMichaelGuy
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Aguero / Sun Jihai

Postby City64 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Original Dub wrote:Some seriously stupid posts in this thread.

Oh dear

Absolutely ^ ^ ^

So many on here missing the fact that Bony is at his lethal best when playing as a LONE striker just like Aguero .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC

Postby Slim » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:43 pm

City64 wrote:

Oh dear

Absolutely ^ ^ ^

So many on here missing the fact that Bony is at his lethal best when playing as a LONE striker just like Aguero .

Are people actually saying that, or are they saying that he'd partner well with Aguero?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:35 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:it's all gone quiet regarding dzeko's injury. perhaps we've already agreed to sell and have been keeping him on ice?

We play Chelsea on 31st Jane, but the Transfer window is open until 11pm on Monday 2nd Feb. If we are to sell Dzeko, it would be after the Chelsea game IMO. If the Ivory Coast do well, they will be back two weeks after that, so its a calculated gamble if thats the case,

Well I never realised Sideshow Bob was a gal. You learn something new every day..
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:50 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Well I never realised Sideshow Bob was a gal. You learn something new every day..

its an accent thing, fuck knows where from though :-)
Wonderwall

Postby City64 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:46 pm

Slim wrote:
City64 wrote:

Oh dear

Absolutely ^ ^ ^

Are people actually saying that, or are they saying that he'd partner well with Aguero?

What on strictly come dancing ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum