***Treble Winners v Arse CS Official Match Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Treble Winners v Arse CS Official Match Thread***

Postby s1ty m » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:39 pm

Walker, Stones, Dias and Gvardiol could just be the most awesome football defence of all-time. Just a thought.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Mase » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:44 pm

s1ty m wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:So Akanji is our boo boy of the moment? Poor choice - my current preference is Kova, he killed most of our attacks after the first 20 mins

Absolutely not. Boo boy? We are allowed to criticise, surely? You think he's good enough? I respect any opinion from solid Blues like you, my take is that he is a ticking timebomb every time he plays. Roll on Josko. Won't boo any of them, the exception being that other atrocious defender, Cancelo, who also bizarrely attracted praise from some quarters. Nuts, IMHO.

If you don’t agree with JC he plays it up to make out you’ve gone to Akanji’s house, murdered his hamster, robbed all his valuables and then chopped his leg off.

When really everyone apart from him are saying that Akanji has a bollock to drop every time he plays and that’s it.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:06 pm

Mase wrote:
s1ty m wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:So Akanji is our boo boy of the moment? Poor choice - my current preference is Kova, he killed most of our attacks after the first 20 mins
Absolutely not. Boo boy? We are allowed to criticise, surely? You think he's good enough? I respect any opinion from solid Blues like you, my take is that he is a ticking timebomb every time he plays. Roll on Josko. Won't boo any of them, the exception being that other atrocious defender, Cancelo, who also bizarrely attracted praise from some quarters. Nuts, IMHO.

If you don’t agree with JC he plays it up to make out you’ve gone to Akanji’s house, murdered his hamster, robbed all his valuables and then chopped his leg off.
When really everyone apart from him are saying that Akanji has a bollock to drop every time he plays and that’s it.

Just as a matter of empirical fact, Akanji was really good today - arguably our MoM - up against their best player and simply very unlucky at the end. He has also been consistently good across the back 4 since we bought him, as has already wisely been noted. (Ortega helped him out a couple of times in the first half tbh.) Josko will be a better fit on the left but he'll have to work hard to improve on the performances of Ake & Akanji last season.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mase » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:30 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:
s1ty m wrote:

Just as a matter of empirical fact, Akanji was really good today - arguably our MoM - up against their best player and simply very unlucky at the end. He has also been consistently good across the back 4 since we bought him, as has already wisely been noted. (Ortega helped him out a couple of times in the first half tbh.) Josko will be a better fit on the left but he'll have to work hard to improve on the performances of Ake & Akanji last season.

Akanji very nearly put us one down in the CL final but was saved by Ederson. He was great in the build up for Rodri’s goal though. Which is what I’ve said, he’s either great or a calamity, can be both in the same game.

The fact he played across the back line tells me he’s not a great player. Dias wouldn’t play RB or LB, because he’s so good at CB. That’s the difference. Akanji is a good squad player.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nickyboy » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:39 pm

I was impressed with Kova. Tidy on the ball and tried to be a little direct at times. I think he'll be bargain on the season.

I also believe Akanji wasn't that bad either. Saka got passed him about 3 times and most of the time he was snuffing him out. He's one of the best wingers in the league.

I was most disappointed with our front 3. All pretty anonymous. KDB and Foden looked a lot more likely to make something happen when they were on.

Just pre season though. Next Friday is when it matters
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Nickyboy » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:41 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Nick wrote:We will be fucked playing another 15 mins high stakes. Teams will waste time then go for it the last 15

What will we see when the game is won, will they still play by the set standards or just sack it like we’ve seen before?

Sure I've read about another initiative to minimise the time added when a game is clearly won. Kind of contradicts the other initiatives that one though.

I may have dreamt that though
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:44 pm

Nickyboy wrote:

I was impressed with Kova. Tidy on the ball and tried to be a little direct at times. I think he'll be bargain on the season.

I also believe Akanji wasn't that bad either. Saka got passed him about 3 times and most of the time he was snuffing him out. He's one of the best wingers in the league.

I was most disappointed with our front 3. All pretty anonymous. KDB and Foden looked a lot more likely to make something happen when they were on.

Thought Grealish was anonymous, hopefully he’s cleared out by next week.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:49 pm

Nickyboy wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Nick wrote:We will be fucked playing another 15 mins high stakes. Teams will waste time then go for it the last 15

What will we see when the game is won, will they still play by the set standards or just sack it like we’ve seen before?

Sure I've read about another initiative to minimise the time added when a game is clearly won. Kind of contradicts the other initiatives that one though.

I may have dreamt that though

Wouldn’t surprise me to see that there’s a few sets of regulations, utilised when the outcome can be decided.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Outcast » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:49 pm

Ake had Saka in his pocket everytime. Akanji just doesn't look comfortable. Grealish is more effective when Ake is behind him. It's nothing personal, he's alright as cover but no chance better than Dias, Stones, Walker, Ake and the new kid
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby s1ty m » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:54 pm

Mase wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:
s1ty m wrote:

Akanji very nearly put us one down in the CL final but was saved by Ederson. He was great in the build up for Rodri’s goal though. Which is what I’ve said, he’s either great or a calamity, can be both in the same game.

The fact he played across the back line tells me he’s not a great player. Dias wouldn’t play RB or LB, because he’s so good at CB. That’s the difference. Akanji is a good squad player.

Saka went by him in the 1st half like he was Cancelo. 2nd half, nothing. Strange one.

When City were so massively under prepared against the Dippers last season, yet were in control before the absurd penalty, I figured we might be on for a good season; if the thieving shits couldn't manage us in that half-cooked state, the only way was up. Today was similar.
s1ty m

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:05 pm

Outcast wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:So Akanji is our boo boy of the moment? Poord choice - my current preference is Kova, he killed most of our attacks after the first 20 mins

Ake had Saka in his pocket everytime. Akanji just doesn't look comfortable. Grealish is more effective when Ake is behind him. It's nothing personal, he's alright as cover but no chance better than Dias, Stones, Walker, Ake and the new kid
Agree about Ake and Jack, Akanji is definitely third choice now. Grealish not firing and no Phil or Kev makes it hard for Erling. I think squeezing Alvarez in isn't working.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby s1ty m » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:24 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Outcast wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:So Akanji is our boo boy of the moment? Poord choice - my current preference is Kova, he killed most of our attacks after the first 20 mins

Agree about Ake and Jack, Akanji is definitely third choice now. Grealish not firing and no Phil or Kev makes it hard for Erling. I think squeezing Alvarez in isn't working.

The Alvarez thing is definitely a thing. We all want him to rip it up, it's just not really happening. Glimpses, perhaps, but only glimpses.

Not sure any side is really good enough to beat us over 38 games. Money spent, but on what?
s1ty m

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:22 am

s1ty m wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Outcast wrote:

The Alvarez thing is definitely a thing. We all want him to rip it up, it's just not really happening. Glimpses, perhaps, but only glimpses.

Not sure any side is really good enough to beat us over 38 games. Money spent, but on what?

Careful, when I pointed out he had a poor game last season - when he had a poor game - the usual suspects leapt up and said I didn't know what I was talking about and didn't know a world class player when I saw one. Lol.

I'm starting to ask why partially brilliant Phil keeps missing the chance to kill games close in. Nearly cost us the CL and cost us yesterday
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby MIAMCFC » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:03 am

Should have been 2 up, that would have led to more chances. Other than that a run out, and we see beating us is massive for the panto clubs. I literally laughed at an Arsenal fans yesterday as they hugged each other. We are 2 weeks behind in our preparations. It’s fuel for us and no bad thing. They look like a team that will be able to compete but know we will. Bring it on.

Oh and Palmers goal…….. some might need to sit down….. hahaha.
MIAMCFC
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:42 am

MIAMCFC wrote:Should have been 2 up, that would have led to more chances. Other than that a run out, and we see beating us is massive for the panto clubs. I literally laughed at an Arsenal fans yesterday as they hugged each other. We are 2 weeks behind in our preparations. It’s fuel for us and no bad thing. They look like a team that will be able to compete but know we will. Bring it on.

Oh and Palmers goal…….. some might need to sit down….. hahaha.
For Cole's many admirers a loan/sale will be a hard swallow. The lad needs to play regularly at top level now to show his ability - he won't with us - Brighton beckons.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby PeterParker » Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:40 am

I didn't watch the game because I am still not that eager to see football again, but saw the highlights.

I think finding the hunger will be a tremendous job, but I think to do that we need another or even two good players. However, I am feeling to give Mcatee and Palmer a run of games to see if they are what we need.

PS: What the fuck is with our players and penalties? And our gk with penalties? How are we so shite on both ends?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:57 am

good to see you back posting PP :D
PeterParker wrote:I didn't watch the game because I am still not that eager to see football again, but saw the highlights.

I think finding the hunger will be a tremendous job, but I think to do that we need another or even two good players. However, I am feeling to give Mcatee and Palmer a run of games to see if they are what we need.

PS: What the fuck is with our players and penalties? And our gk with penalties? How are we so shite on both ends?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Indianablue » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:00 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Nickyboy wrote:

Just shows you what going on the lash after the CL final can do. Haaland also in the same category, but in his case he went AWOL after he got the PL goal record. Both need to get their head in the game. Walker did ok yesterday but he can't cross a ball.
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Francis Lee

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:10 am

Indianablue wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Nickyboy wrote:

Just shows you what going on the lash after the CL final can do. Haaland also in the same category, but in his case he went AWOL after he got the PL goal record. Both need to get their head in the game. Walker did ok yesterday but he can't cross a ball.
There was an early incident when Ramsdale miscontrolled and the ball ran along his goal line, if Erling had launched himself he might have scored - he didn't, just eased off. Poor.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:19 am

Haaland is a worry. Like you say, he went missing after getting the record last season and I remember Pep justifying taking him off in most games with a tongue in cheek comment about keeping him hungry.

It might have been tongue in cheek but there might be some truth.

Not overly worried, he was crap in in the CS last season against Liverpool. I think the Arsenal celebrations will light a fire in him.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum