Wilfred Bony - possible January Signing

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Wilfred Bony - possible January Signing

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:31 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:I don't know why we're even mentioning the price as it's irrelevant. 30 mil was paid for Wiggy upteen years ago and as long as our financial experts have this then there should be no problems.

The question should only be: Is Bony what we need or at least enhance what we've got?

If the answer is 'Yes' then we'll get it done.

If it's 'No' then he's fucking shit!

There's a 3rd option where he is what we need now, but we're 30 mil short on a deal for Lionel Messi next summer because of it & we can't sell players fast enough to get it done.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Blue2 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Lee_R wrote:Bony 30m

Recived in summer for Negerdo 23m..?

So 7m for Bony?.. Not bad.

Rather have Negredo tbh
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby AntMcfc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:35 pm

Really frustrated by this signing at first, but the more I think about it the more I've calmed. This is £30m on a striker that has no real right to be playing for the champions of England, I still can't get over the fee, it's huge. But, in context, we've essentially swapped Negredo for Bony, and we haven't had to wait until summer 2015 to get his replacement, albeit we've got to wait until March to see him play. And when you consider how bad Negredo has become, I think £5m to upgrade to Bony is fair enough.

What worries me the most about this signing is that it potentially blocks the signing of a genuinely top class striker this summer. If we are to sign a top striker in the summer it's going to have to be at the expense of Dzeko, maybe Jovetic too. We could have signed Cavani had we splashed out a little more, that's the frustrating part of this whole saga for me. Sign Cavani now and forget about signing someone in the summer. But now, we've spent £30m on a bench warmer and we'll still be after another striker in the summer.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:38 pm

Blue2 wrote:
Lee_R wrote:Bony 30m

Recived in summer for Negerdo 23m..?

So 7m for Bony?.. Not bad.

Rather have Negredo tbh

For the first 6 months maybe, but the player since then was no use to us whatsoever, & doesn't want to play for us & is 3 years older.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:40 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:I don't know why we're even mentioning the price as it's irrelevant. 30 mil was paid for Wiggy upteen years ago and as long as our financial experts have this then there should be no problems.

The question should only be: Is Bony what we need or at least enhance what we've got?

There's a 3rd option where he is what we need now, but we're 30 mil short on a deal for Lionel Messi next summer because of it & we can't sell players fast enough to get it done.

Where's the Messi thread?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:43 pm

AntMcfc wrote:Really frustrated by this signing at first, but the more I think about it the more I've calmed. This is £30m on a striker that has no real right to be playing for the champions of England, I still can't get over the fee, it's huge. But, in context, we've essentially swapped Negredo for Bony, and we haven't had to wait until summer 2015 to get his replacement, albeit we've got to wait until March to see him play. And when you consider how bad Negredo has become, I think £5m to upgrade to Bony is fair enough.

What worries me the most about this signing is that it potentially blocks the signing of a genuinely top class striker this summer. If we are to sign a top striker in the summer it's going to have to be at the expense of Dzeko, maybe Jovetic too. We could have signed Cavani had we splashed out a little more, that's the frustrating part of this whole saga for me. Sign Cavani now and forget about signing someone in the summer. But now, we've spent £30m on a bench warmer and we'll still be after another striker in the summer.

Where has this '£25 million' for Negredo come from as the only price I seen reported was around £17 million plus add-ons. I'm pretty sure there's no add-ons to that either as he didn't play enough.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:45 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Where's the Messi thread?

Needn't be Messi, could be another player who would take the club to another level, but we have to watch them go to rags or Chelsea instead, because we've spent a big percentage of our funds. That's my only reservation about spending this money now.

No reservations about Bony; he should have no problems at all at City & I'll be surprised if he's not 2nd striker after Sergio..

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby AntMcfc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:46 pm

All reports state a fee of the £23m - £23.8m mark, plus a loan fee.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:46 pm

I don't believe that he will be a bench warmer. He's a guy who will playbif he takes his chances. It's a meritocracy with the Count. The Count may get it wrong sometimes but odds are that if Boneh gels he will get his games. The biggest question will be how he partners Kun and I think they could be a classic duo. I'm excited about it. Plus he and Nasri and Yaya can sit around and chat en Francais like a bunch of schoolgirls and be happy with themselves. That does help I think. No joke.

I also didn't quote your rambling post because it was too long. Brevity please. I blame Ted for this newfound trend among new-ish posters to write 5 paragraph essays when a sentence will do.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:50 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:I don't believe that he will be a bench warmer. He's a guy who will playbif he takes his chances. It's a meritocracy with the Count. The Count may get it wrong sometimes but odds are that if Boneh gels he will get his games. The biggest question will be how he partners Kun and I think they could be a classic duo. I'm excited about it. Plus he and Nasri and Yaya can sit around and chat en Francais like a bunch of schoolgirls and be happy with themselves. That does help I think. No joke.

I also didn't quote your rambling post because it was too long. Brevity please. I blame Ted for this newfound trend among new-ish posters to write 5 paragraph essays when a sentence will do.

Cheers

Perhaps if we put advert breaks in between each paragraph, it will make it more comfortable for you.

Bony won't be a benchwarmer. The idea is stupid.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Feed The Goat » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:52 pm

Once all our strikers are fit I don't think he improves the team.
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:53 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:I don't believe that he will be a bench warmer. He's a guy who will playbif he takes his chances. It's a meritocracy with the Count. The Count may get it wrong sometimes but odds are that if Boneh gels he will get his games. The biggest question will be how he partners Kun and I think they could be a classic duo. I'm excited about it. Plus he and Nasri and Yaya can sit around and chat en Francais like a bunch of schoolgirls and be happy with themselves. That does help I think. No joke.

Cheers

Perhaps if we put advert breaks in between each paragraph, it will make it more comfortable for you.

I'm not uncomfortable.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Slim » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:55 pm

I am in no way buying into the 'proven goalscorer' hype, as we'll know if he's a success when he's actually at City and not before....BUT....

This is a player I think perfectly suited to partner Aguero, plays with his back to goal, strong, holds the ball up. Aguero running off the shoulder and we'll see Bony rival Silva for assists. I think the Count has finally got the idea if you want to play everything through the middle, you better have the players to do that. Expect Dzeko to be shipped in the summer and Nacho to be moved up as 4th striker.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby AntMcfc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:56 pm

Feed The Goat wrote:Once all our strikers are fit I don't think he improves the team.

I think on current form he's better than Dzeko and Jovetic, so he will improve the side if we persist with a two striker system. Our best form of the season has come with a one striker system, in which Bony wouldn't play, so I fail to see how this is a progressive signing. He improves the team on paper but it means forfeiting a system which has worked well for us and has allowed Aguero to flourish further. I don't like the signing one bit but I can accept it.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:59 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Cheers

I'm not uncomfortable.

Cheers

That's good then.

No need for the advert breaks. Just an idea.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:06 pm

Wilfried Bony scored the most premier league goals of 2014 whilst playing for SWANSEA being fed by DYER, SHELVEY and ROUTLEDGE FFS, the man must be a miracle machine
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Slim » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:12 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Wilfried Bony scored the most premier league goals of 2014 whilst playing for SWANSEA being fed by DYER, SHELVEY and ROUTLEDGE FFS, the man must be a miracle machine

SWANSEA, from the people that brought you Scott Sinclair.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Crossie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:15 pm

I really don't think we should worry about a Bony signing affecting a potential Messi signing. I for one don't want Messi, he's a cunt, he'll catch burn't out syndrome soon and he's upset the balance of the team.

Aguero will give us everyone Messi could and we don't need both of them.

We must worry about what we need now and what we need is a fit, available, good enough for us striker. Unfortunately Bony isn't available to play probably until March is he? So its a fucking massive £30 million gamble that we can't really afford to make and it doesn't really solve our immediate problem.

Try the youth.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby patrickblue » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:17 pm

Chinners wrote:Decent player but not in the £30mil bracket for sure, I'd rather recall Negrado back from loan tbh

He's relatively young and he's been banging goals in for fun in the prem for two and a half seasons.
What do you need to do to get in the 30m bracket?
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:20 pm

Slim wrote:I am in no way buying into the 'proven goalscorer' hype, as we'll know if he's a success when he's actually at City and not before....BUT....

This is a player I think perfectly suited to partner Aguero, plays with his back to goal, strong, holds the ball up. Aguero running off the shoulder and we'll see Bony rival Silva for assists. I think the Count has finally got the idea if you want to play everything through the middle, you better have the players to do that. Expect Dzeko to be shipped in the summer and Nacho to be moved up as 4th striker.

Bony also has a keen awareness of the players around him. I'm really excited by the potential of this partnership.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum