Pellegrini Satisfometer

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

How satisfied are you with Pellegrini's work to date?

Highly satisfied
41%
Satisfied
24%
Neither satisfied nor particularly dissatisfied
8%
Dissatisfied
12%
Highly dissatisfied
15%

Total votes : 195

Re: Pellegrini Satisfometer

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:18 am

Blue2 wrote:The thing that really concerned me last night was Pellegrini inability to see what was happening in front of him. It was clear after 20 mins that we needed to change the formation. We were getting overrun in midfield and he did nothing. One of the forward should have come off, preferably Dzeko ( or at the very least dropped back) and Milner should have come on. We were crying out for more bodies in the middle. But we just ploughed on trying to make it work. Mancini certainly was not frightened to change things if it wasn't working.

Early days obviously, but the signs aren't good - 3 defeats in 7.

Mancini watched Dortmund run straight though us last season and they created more goalscoring chances first half than Bayern did, as did Arsenal. His formation was even stupider that Pellegrini's with Rodwell/Yaya stood in our half, & the rest of our mids/attack pushed right up against Dortmund's back 4, 50 yards away with ALL of Dortmund's midfield inbetween. Possibly the most inept, nonsensical tactical bullshit I've ever seen in 40 odd years of watching football.

I am hoping that the Count just decided to try & make it work last night, hoping the players would get it & fight back, but then we let in a truly horrible 2nd goal. At the end though, with Silva/Milner/Negredo on & Fernandinho released, we looked a lot more like it, but some of the legs had gone by then.

As for defeats, I'm not actually arsed about the number of those provided we get plenty of wins. I would rather lose games by trying to win, than draw games by being careful. That's how the rags have done it over the years with 3 points for a win.

The Champions Lg is different though. But tbf to the Count, he has picked up points away from home, to see his teams through.

He didn't do that by playing last night's Brian Horton system.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:25 am

Blue2 wrote:The thing that really concerned me last night was Pellegrini inability to see what was happening in front of him. It was clear after 20 mins that we needed to change the formation. We were getting overrun in midfield and he did nothing. One of the forward should have come off, preferably Dzeko ( or at the very least dropped back) and Milner should have come on. We were crying out for more bodies in the middle. But we just ploughed on trying to make it work. Mancini certainly was not frightened to change things if it wasn't working.

Early days obviously, but the signs aren't good - 3 defeats in 7.

It wasnt just last night, its been in a lot of games too.

We have played the same tactics and formation in every game whether it be hull villa stoke or bayern. Its suicide and ive seen it coming for weeks how can he not see it? the rags win papered over the cracks for us,luckily thy are in even worse dire straits than us.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm back up to very satisfied after the performances and points from the last two league matches.

A bad or heavy defeat at CSKA and I'm back down a peg; a draw or better would be great.

Is anyone else unable to switch votes on the Android app?
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby nottsblue » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:37 pm

I'd have 2 satisfaction polls. One for prem league & the other for champs league. It sounds obvious but they are 2 seperate competitions with different styles of play in both. Our expectations are different in both. I expect us to be 1st or 2nd in prem league & play sublime attacking football, especially at home. Any less than this & i'm underwhelmed.
However, in champs league i'd realistically be happy just to get out of group if only to shut the rags/dippers up that we are a disgrace to England. Despite dippers being nowhere near champs league for years. Qtrs would be above expectation so would be very satisfied.

As mentioned in other thread priority for me is prem so would be unhappy overall if got to qtrs but didnt do well (1st or 2nd) in prem or didnt lift FA or League cup. Fear the club would take doing well in Europe over winning league
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:52 pm

nottsblue wrote:I'd have 2 satisfaction polls. One for prem league & the other for champs league. It sounds obvious but they are 2 seperate competitions with different styles of play in both. Our expectations are different in both. I expect us to be 1st or 2nd in prem league & play sublime attacking football, especially at home. Any less than this & i'm underwhelmed.
However, in champs league i'd realistically be happy just to get out of group if only to shut the rags/dippers up that we are a disgrace to England. Despite dippers being nowhere near champs league for years. Qtrs would be above expectation so would be very satisfied.

As mentioned in other thread priority for me is prem so would be unhappy overall if got to qtrs but didnt do well (1st or 2nd) in prem or didnt lift FA or League cup. Fear the club would take doing well in Europe over winning league

I think winning the league would be considered a much higher achievement than merely reaching the last 16 of the CL, but I think Pellegrini's expected to strive to achieve both these things. I'm sure the powers want him both to be in with a shout of winning the league come May and to get to the knockout stages of the CL and put up a good fight once there.

If there's anything the owners don't seem arsed about, it's the domestic cups (as evinced by the decision to remove Mancini having been made on the eve of last year's final).

As for the polling, it's about the manager's performance rather than that of the team. Not all defeats will be his fault and not all victories will be attributable to his genius.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
I think winning the league would be considered a much higher achievement than merely reaching the last 16 of the CL, but I think Pellegrini's expected to strive to achieve both these things. I'm sure the powers want him both to be in with a shout of winning the league come May and to get to the knockout stages of the CL and put up a good fight once there.

If there's anything the owners don't seem arsed about, it's the domestic cups (as evinced by the decision to remove Mancini having been made on the eve of last year's final).

As for the polling, it's about the manager's performance rather than that of the team. Not all defeats will be his fault and not all victories will be attributable to his genius.

The teams performance is ultimately a reflection on the manager. We will not win every game nor will we play well in every game but if we play well & win most games this will be more likely down to the manager & his team selection for each game, substitutions made & just changing things around as the match situation dictates. Sometimes a flash of brilliance or stroke of luck will win the day but not over a season. Also as Gary Player once remarked "the more i practice the luckier i get"
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Green & Blue » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Papers claiming he fired up the players on the weekend bullshitting them that United had just won.That's brilliant.
Green & Blue

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:38 pm

It's becoming quite clear that we try to win in one way and one way only with exciting fast-forward football. It's the way to go in truth now we've got a few extra players who can move the ball with real pace.

Good to see he's learnt from the Villa game that sometimes you just have to shut some of these PL teams out and hit them when the opportunity comes.

Very happy at the moment but that could all change in the next couple of games so I'm keeping my powder dry
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby zuricity » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Green & Blue wrote:Papers claiming he fired up the players on the weekend bullshitting them that United had just won.That's brilliant.

So he's a liar as well !!! :-)
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:09 pm

zuricity wrote:
Green & Blue wrote:Papers claiming he fired up the players on the weekend bullshitting them that United had just won.That's brilliant.

So he's a liar as well !!! :-)

*chuckles*
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Dameerto » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:07 am

I thought the last game was Pellegrini's best performance as the guy in charge and it was encouraging to see him respond to a change in how the opposition was playing against us.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby ant london » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:56 am

It's a strange one. The games where satisfaction is right down....I just don't know who to be dissatisfied with. Sure The Count deserves some flak for now changing things and shutting up shop a bit when we are ahead and the flow of the game is running away from us....BUT...some of the shit performances thus far have been as much about abject performances from individuals or the collective.

My point is that, if 4 players had had the type of game that Gael did on Saturday....then we would be having an entirely different appraisal of the match and I'd question mark how much of that blame ought to go to Manuel.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:43 am

Still little bit dissatisfied. He can't close the shop which is absolutely essential to winning league titles. Otherwise he makes the games exciting individually. Pretty much the polar opposite of Mancini really.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:52 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Still little bit dissatisfied. He can't close the shop which is absolutely essential to winning league titles. Otherwise he makes the games exciting individually. Pretty much the polar opposite of Mancini really.

He 'closed the shop' on Saturday with a very Mancini-esque type substitution to boot.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Still little bit dissatisfied. He can't close the shop which is absolutely essential to winning league titles. Otherwise he makes the games exciting individually. Pretty much the polar opposite of Mancini really.

I'm dissatisfied purely because of the defence. I've just seen a recording of thje West Ham game & it was a cracking win, but the defence was still crap.

I'm all for attacking football & I think it's how City need to play; we owe it to the football world to produce it if we are spending 100s of millions on players. But Mancini did that two seasons ago & built a tight defence as well, then he hit a brick wall.

Pellegrini has solved many of the attacking problems which were so obviously wrong under Mancini, but the defence is keystone cops stuff.

Managers do my fucking head in.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

I'm dissatisfied purely because of the defence. I've just seen a recording of thje West Ham game & it was a cracking win, but the defence was still crap.

I'm all for attacking football & I think it's how City need to play; we owe it to the football world to produce it if we are spending 100s of millions on players. But Mancini did that two seasons ago & built a tight defence as well, then he hit a brick wall.

Pellegrini has solved many of the attacking problems which were so obviously wrong under Mancini, but the defence is keystone cops stuff.

Managers do my fucking head in.

That's pretty much it. I throughoutly enjoy our games when we are doing well now and the gamble is paying off but when we are left to rely on that defence we are struggling.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Robert Washington » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:13 pm

I am still a bit dissatisfied. I think I may still have a Mancini hangover and am wondering why he was sacked (I understand the sub-par relationship with some players). I miss the press conferences under Roberto. Manuel's are sheer monotony. We have dropped points to teams we should have walked over due to Pellegrini's eye for Champion's League, keeping key players out of the starting 11 to rest them for Tuesday or Wednesday's CL match. I am, however, enjoying some excellent attacking football, which seemed to be lacking under Mancini. I do not, however, credit Pellegrini for this attacking style. Instead, I think it has more to do with some new acquisitions.

Pellegrini really needs to straighten out the back 4. I'm definitely glad to see Micah back! If short of defenders (like now), I'd rather see Milner at RB and Micah at halfback. How many times do we need to see Garcia get burnt?

I just hope Pellegrini learned from the Villa, Stoke and Southhampton matches. Its been ok so far but certainly room for improvement.
Blue Moon of Maine, USA
Robert Washington
Carlo Nash's Debut

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Robert Washington wrote:I am still a bit dissatisfied. I think I may still have a Mancini hangover and am wondering why he was sacked (I understand the sub-par relationship with some players). I miss the press conferences under Roberto. Manuel's are sheer monotony. We have dropped points to teams we should have walked over due to Pellegrini's eye for Champion's League, keeping key players out of the starting 11 to rest them for Tuesday or Wednesday's CL match. I am, however, enjoying some excellent attacking football, which seemed to be lacking under Mancini. I do not, however, credit Pellegrini for this attacking style. Instead, I think it has more to do with some new acquisitions.

Pellegrini really needs to straighten out the back 4. I'm definitely glad to see Micah back! If short of defenders (like now), I'd rather see Milner at RB and Micah at halfback. How many times do we need to see Garcia get burnt?

I just hope Pellegrini learned from the Villa, Stoke and Southhampton matches. Its been ok so far but certainly room for improvement.

But surely you give him the credit for these 'acquisitions'?! Negredo has made the biggest difference and it was very canny of the manager to spot that he was exactly what we needed - and at a good price. Nasri's form has also picked up under the new boss.

Also, I know Micah's a big lad but I'm not sure we should be deploying him as an NFL player.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Robert Washington » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
Robert Washington wrote:I am still a bit dissatisfied. I think I may still have a Mancini hangover and am wondering why he was sacked (I understand the sub-par relationship with some players). I miss the press conferences under Roberto. Manuel's are sheer monotony. We have dropped points to teams we should have walked over due to Pellegrini's eye for Champion's League, keeping key players out of the starting 11 to rest them for Tuesday or Wednesday's CL match. I am, however, enjoying some excellent attacking football, which seemed to be lacking under Mancini. I do not, however, credit Pellegrini for this attacking style. Instead, I think it has more to do with some new acquisitions.

But surely you give him the credit for these 'acquisitions'?! Negredo has made the biggest difference and it was very canny of the manager to spot that he was exactly what we needed - and at a good price. Nasri's form has also picked up under the new boss.

Also, I know Micah's a big lad but I'm not sure we should be deploying him as an NFL player.

I'm not sure if Manuel should get all the credit for the signings. What about Mr. Kidd?

Negredo HAS made a huge impact. I've backed Dzeko for the past few years but he remains nonclinical in front of the net - in stark contrast to Negredo. I do agree with you about Nasri, too. He has been easily replaceable most of the time, remaining on the periphery most matches. Many times, I'd prefer to see Milner in his spot. This year, Samir seems to be coming out of his shell - trying to take players on again.

Ok, so Micah at CB! Thanks for the correction.
Blue Moon of Maine, USA
Robert Washington
Carlo Nash's Debut

Postby Robert Washington » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Overall, what were the fans reactions and thoughts about Mancini's firing?

Due to the limited EPL news coverage in the States, I was never able to ascertain this information.
Blue Moon of Maine, USA
Robert Washington
Carlo Nash's Debut

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum