What Does Yaya Toure Actually Do?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What Does Yaya Toure Actually Do?

Postby lovecity8utd » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:58 pm

freshie wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
99 successful passes from 108 against Fulham would suggest he's a tad better than hit and miss.

( if you were fishing with that post then congrats you've caught a live one )

No I wasn't fishing. He has been poor in most of the games he has played this season. Whether that is down to a lack of form or not being played in his best position I am not sure. One thing I am certain of, however, is that if Milner or De Jong are fit he currently does not deserve his place in the team.

With regard to the passing stats you have pulled up, I am afraid they do not tell the whole story. [highlight]Most of the time he receives the ball with his back to goal and then proceeds to pass either square or backwards[/highlight](not exactly difficult to do) because he has the turning circle of an oil tanker, which slows our play down.

Do you have any evidence to support this or is it just anecdotal? It doesn't tally with my recollection of his role and performances this season.
lovecity8utd
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: City's 11

Postby bigblue » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:05 pm

freshie wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
99 successful passes from 108 against Fulham would suggest he's a tad better than hit and miss.

( if you were fishing with that post then congrats you've caught a live one )

No I wasn't fishing. He has been poor in most of the games he has played this season. Whether that is down to a lack of form or not being played in his best position I am not sure. One thing I am certain of, however, is that if Milner or De Jong are fit he currently does not deserve his place in the team.

With regard to the passing stats you have pulled up, I am afraid they do not tell the whole story. Most of the time he receives the ball with his back to goal and then proceeds to pass either square or backwards (not exactly difficult to do) because he has the turning circle of an oil tanker, which slows our play down.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Yaya is one of the first names on the team sheet. There is a reason that he played more than any other city player (besides Hart) last year. He is absolute class on the ball and you can tell that every other player on the field respects him. He links back to front and left to right, keeping possession and putting players in position to use their ability.

The fact that people still question a player of his ability frightens me. Maybe if he got up 2 second faster after a long run you'd respect him? I don't know because he has already won us a cup, is almost as composed as Silva on the ball, and is one of our most consistent players. The fact that this thread is 9 pages and hasn't yet turned sarcastic is mind boggling. Almost any other group of supporters would kill to have him in their team, yet a few of us can only bitch and moan.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby freshie » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:11 pm

We must see the game very differently then. I suppose it's all about opinions and mine happens to differ from the previous 2 posts
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby 13021J » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Yaya would walk into the first XI of any Premiership team. Anyone who disagrees is on acid. The man is a Rolls Royce.
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby moomey » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:34 pm

He is class - end of. He ran the game at Fulham but needed more support next to him than Barry when the home team finally started to press and fill the middle of the park.
moomey
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Crossie » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:39 pm

He may well be told to let men behind him put the pressure on, keeping himself free to be the main link between defensive midfield and the forwards, otherwise known as a midfielder!

Yaya's strengths are his power, passing, and fwd runs. He was played out of position at Barca.

I do know exactly why people are giving him a hard time though, he does appear to go missing after 70 mins and looks knackered.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:26 am

according to "Blue Tuesday", many on here need to give their head a wobble because of this subject! Ha Ha classic
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:31 am

Wonderwall wrote:according to "Blue Tuesday", many on here need to give their head a wobble because of this subject! Ha Ha classic

I don't think they have much to complain about this season as he is not off to the greatest of starts.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby bigblue » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Wonderwall wrote:according to "Blue Tuesday", many on here need to give their head a wobble because of this subject! Ha Ha classic

If you listen it starts around the 12-13 minute mark. Completely agree with what they have to say. Some people on here seem to think more with their emotions than with their head
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:04 pm

bigblue wrote:

If you listen it starts around the 12-13 minute mark. Completely agree with what they have to say. Some people on here seem to think more with their emotions than with their head

That's true for all football fans though, isn't it? What you say five minutes after a defeat and what you say three days later are a bit different.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby bigblue » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
bigblue wrote:

That's true for all football fans though, isn't it? What you say five minutes after a defeat and what you say three days later are a bit different.

eh, I find it's more true for my ex-girlfriends than for most lads I know. Maybe it's the battle for ratings on the TV and radio that constantly bombard people with a sense of panic after every small setback. I don't know but usually after 18 years old or so, people can take a deep breath and look at the bigger picture
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby getdressedmctavish » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:22 pm

I find him disappointing. He is a class act with a lot of attributes. However tenacity and aggression are not always two of them. He was one of several at Fulham who never put the required effort in after our second goal. Talented but often frustrating.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby lyons07 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:08 am

Sorry to bring this thread up AGAIN

But he does fuck all last night he was a fucking embarrassment, people are slating dzeko for his reaction i'm not surprised, he took dzeko but de jong on, then this lanky streak of piss went and played up front?

Bring him back in december as thats when he started playing well last year.

Rant over.
lyons07
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Big Nige De Jong

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:19 am

I was disappointed with the way he got his yellow card. Yes, he was frustrated and yes, the ref was a blinkered, kraut-loving cheat, but everybody else in the team was frustrated too and they were man enough not to lash out. It needs to not happen again.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Duckman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:13 am

Often, he just stands out there, watching the trains go by.
private dick/family man
Duckman
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva, Kompany, Yaya

Postby Mike J » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:15 am

i think yaya is a fantastic footballer but his 'performance' last night was pitiful. he should be one of the bet centre midfielders in the world. he needs to show it.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Blue Toy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:26 am

The only player of the 11 who finished the game last night not to come over and applaud us, instead choosing to run straight down the tunnel.... Very disappointing and disrespectful.
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby CityGer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:26 am

That was bad last night, really bad.

He could with watching the video and learning something about tempo and work rate from Schweinsteiger.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby King Kev » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:26 pm

It's funny, I was thinking about this thread last night whilst watch him contribute fucl all to the match! ;o)
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:33 pm

He needs to be dropped now, he does nothing we might as well be playing with 10men. Give Milner a chance i know he will put in a shift.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum