Goal line technology: Poll

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Are You In Favour Of Goal Line Technology?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes : 83

Re: Goal line technology

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:46 pm

Fact is if goalline tech came in it would expand to other decisions, eventually become part in everything and ultimately ruin the game.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby ronk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:03 pm

Kladze wrote:
ronk wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:We can only guess whether England had won 1966 world cup if any sort of goal line/video technology had been there.
Quote: "However, a study conducted by the Engineering Department at Oxford University concluded that the ball did not cross the line entirely and that it was 6 cms away from being a goal (Goal-directed Video Metrology)."

In a similar fashion we can only guess whether England would've won 2010 WC.

Imho human errors like this belong to football.

Fine, but then why waste all that money training, evaluating, paying and flying refs around the world. If human error is a required part of the game then there's no problem with poor match officials.

If you welcome dodgy decisions that eliminate the aspect of contest from football then you're giving up the right to ever complain about a referee's decision. That's a different thing from accepting that referees aren't perfect, it's saying that a perfect referee would be to the detriment of the game.

No it's not.

And either way, a perfect mechanical referee - which is what technology would supply - would be detrimental.

They're threatening to look at an area where there is no room for interpretation and that is, by its nature ideally suited for the use of technology.

This would take a tiny amount of time from average games. Negligible compared to other areas. It's hard to see how it would do anything at all to harm people's enjoyment of the game unless the implementation was horribly botched.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:18 pm

How many times do you see them still arguing about whether it was a penalty on match of the day, despite having 4 super slo-mo replays?

Things like the tennis hawkeye wouldn't work, unlss we change the rule so that it's any part touching the line rather than past it. All it would lead to is footballers wanting it for every decision, even throw ins.

Lastly, as a scenario, City are playing the rags in another semi final at eastlands. 0-0 with a minute to go, when shrek thunders one against the bar, onto the goal line and out. City race away and score, putting us in the final. In the middle of the celebrations, the 4th official pops up and points out the rags shot was a goal. We've just gone from 1-0 up to1-0 down and the game is lost. Do you think everyone would think it was fair and go home lightly?
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Dingus McDouchey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:20 pm

absolutely farcical that FIFA will not remove the potential for error regarding the MOST FUNDAMENTAL PART OF THE GAME. that a ball crossing the goal line is a goal. EPIC FAIL.
Berbatov wins golden boot, spends following season on the bench while his team loses title on goal difference. Well played, Fergie.
Dingus McDouchey
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby dikdik » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Have to agree. Whether or not the ball crosses the line would NOT BE OPEN TO DEBATE with touch line technology. Opinions would be irrelevant. All you would need would be a pair of f...... eyes!!!
This would in fact speed up the play.
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby ronk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:How many times do you see them still arguing about whether it was a penalty on match of the day, despite having 4 super slo-mo replays?

Things like the tennis hawkeye wouldn't work, unlss we change the rule so that it's any part touching the line rather than past it. All it would lead to is footballers wanting it for every decision, even throw ins.

Lastly, as a scenario, City are playing the rags in another semi final at eastlands. 0-0 with a minute to go, when shrek thunders one against the bar, onto the goal line and out. City race away and score, putting us in the final. In the middle of the celebrations, the 4th official pops up and points out the rags shot was a goal. We've just gone from 1-0 up to1-0 down and the game is lost. Do you think everyone would think it was fair and go home lightly?

Not really. Measuring the whole of the ball over the whole of the line would be difficult but there's an uber simple (sorry) workaround.

For the purposes of the technology use one ball diameter distance back from the line as the point. If the ball crosses that plane, it's a goal. Works fine for round balls. There'll be a margin for error (say +/- 1cm in very rare cases, but define how that's looked at early and there won't be an issue. Wouldn't be any less accurate than the current system.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby brite blu sky » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:24 pm

Kyle wrote:I don't think it is a good thing at all. It would absolutly change the way football would be played allowing more stoppages and breaks for rest. However, something has to be done and I think putting an official on each goaline would solve most of the official's errors regarding goals, handballs, and penalties and wouldn't take a break in the game to check the video.

There is a simple answer to this, i believe it was Mark Hughes who i first heard mention it.. While technology implemented for everything would ruin the flow of the game, one place where it stops nothing is goal line.. or say extend that to when there is a goal. Play stops anyway and there is a 30 sec break. This is plenty of time for the officials to confirm or deny the goal. The key thing about the technology argument is it mostly about disallowed or allowed goals.. not fouls throwins or any other stuff. Goals change games, goals are the key interest in games and are the key contentious issue.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:05 pm

A plane a ball width behind the goal wouldn't work, as if a player was in the net, it would pick them up too. Most ball across the line issues are when someone has been trying to hook a ball clear. You'd need some sort of chip in the ball or special coating to try and pick it up and I'm not sure technology is there yet.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Fidel Castro » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:22 pm

No need for it, if the silly cunt (linesman) was doing his job properly, he would have been level with the play and have seen the ball was yaards over the line. Just sums up the world cup for me though, it's overhyped. Shit teams, shit officials, shit supporters. Bring on the new season and proper football again.
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Vhero » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:10 am

Always been for technology to be fair I mean most other sports have it I'm sure it can't be hard with the technology we have to install sensors in the ball and the posts. You don;t even need cameras.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Fish111 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:15 am

Not in favour of technology myself. Once you open that pandoras box then the pressure will come from managers and the press for technology for deciding offsides, penalties and everything else. I'm for the extra officials as they have introduced in the Europa League, they would have seen that goal last night.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Vhero » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:16 am

Fish111 wrote:Not in favour of technology myself. Once you open that pandoras box then the pressure will come from managers and the press for technology for deciding offsides, penalties and everything else. I'm for the extra officials as they have introduced in the Europa League, they would have seen that goal last night.

Hahaha I actually said that!
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby irblinx » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:19 am

Fidel Castro wrote:No need for it, if the silly cunt (linesman) was doing his job properly, he would have been level with the play and have seen the ball was yaards over the line. Just sums up the world cup for me though, it's overhyped. Shit teams, shit officials, shit supporters. Bring on the new season and proper football again.

He was level with the play, not up with the ball which was probably travelling at 70ish mph obviously, but his angle of view should have been perfect but he still didn't see it. A video ref would have spotted it straight away as would he have spotted the offside for Tevez's first goal. The likelihood is that England and Mexico would have still been beaten but at least then we'd all just accept that it was down to not being good enough on the day.

The mere fact that contentious issues are not allowed to be replayed on the big screens at grounds means that they are expecting the guy behind the video replay controls, who is presumably not a qualified referee, to make a split second decision based on video evidence! The guy last night fecked up but had they not shown the first Tevez goal the crowd would've known there was something dodgy about it anyway.
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Dronny » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:01 am

Where's the fuclin issue........

Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby King Kev » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:18 am

Blue Toy wrote:Any mods around to make this a poll?
Done
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Goal line technology: Poll

Postby Slim » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:32 am

I don't think any technology is needed, how about if the linesmen are too busy scratching themselves, FIFA pony up for a couple of more officials and sit one behind each goal. Sorted.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:33 am

IMO what is ruining the game is these blatently BENT referees / fifa officials.
The game is so blatently bent it isn't even funny.
We need robot referees to stop this crookedness.
We'll never have anything easy to sort it out as there is no way for them to bend the rules to suit them.

All they need to do for goal line tech is what they have in ice hockey to see if the puck crossed the line.
Simple as fuck.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:37 am

I knew I'd be only one to vote against it.

Thing is, I can understand all the explanations why it should be introduced. They are all very valid. I'm as shocked about this decisions as the next man. HOWEVER, I'm a strong traditionalist as far as football goes. I don't think there's anything wrong with the game. These things are HUMAN ERRORS and that's one of the most beautiful things on the game. Played by humans for humans and refereed by humans. All capable of making errors.

People will go on and on and on about that decision and many more sending offs, offsides etc long after the competition is over. Hell, THAT Danny Tiatto goal STILL bugs me. However, just as Robert Green can make blunder, so can referee.

Also, there's another thing that really makes me love the game and be against these big rule changes. It's the (or should be or once was) same game for everyone. Whether you are slight build kid playing on a hot day in favela, slightly overweight holding midfielder in Finnish lower than low league on late october freezing your bollocks off or Premier League superstar with 50k people signing your name, it's essentially the same game once you step on the pitch. It's a big big appeal for me.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby simon12 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:43 am

Get it in the sooner the better.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:46 am

Yes from me,if its over the line for good or worse it should be a goal.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum