EDS/Academy Games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS/Academy Games

Postby twosips » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:00 pm

C & C wrote:Kind of quiet on the site, so I went looking for this and found it on page 4! No updates in the last month and nothing on twosips blog

:-(

Right on cue!

http://inesteemedkompany.blogspot.co.uk ... ilbao.html

I'd missed like three games in a row due to them all playing 2/3 hours away from home, or the u19s simply playing at 1pm when im in work frustratingly. Saw the EDS last night, though it was nowt to write home about sadly!
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby C & C » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:01 pm

twosips wrote:
C & C wrote:Kind of quiet on the site, so I went looking for this and found it on page 4! No updates in the last month and nothing on twosips blog

:-(

Right on cue!

http://inesteemedkompany.blogspot.co.uk ... ilbao.html

I'd missed like three games in a row due to them all playing 2/3 hours away from home, or the u19s simply playing at 1pm when im in work frustratingly. Saw the EDS last night, though it was nowt to write home about sadly!

As always, your efforts are appreciated.
C & C
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:11 pm

The game against Athletico was a disappointment as TS says but it does go to show how far hard work,energy and good organisation can take a team. After the first 10 minutes or so we looked the better team and missed good chances and it seemed to me we were the better side and would go on to win. But from there the pressing from Bilbao was very good and hurried us into all sorts of mistakes and we just never got a flowing game going.

We still bits of chances and plenty of the ball but it seemed we were always rushed and just missing the quality in the last 3rd. No surprise they scored from some pressing which forced a wayward pass and then our defenders just weren't quite up to it. Our response was excellent and as TS says produced the best move of the match to equalise through Celina.

TS got it spot on that defensively we fell aaprt as we needed to win and went 3 at the back. All our efforts were rushed and despite some half chances it didn't feel like we would score again but a counter attack was very likley as it proved.

So different at this level to last years best team which included Angelino, Barker and Boadu as the younger talent but also Ntchame,Fofana and even Evans. Better all round quality and better balance to the team whereas now we seem to be struggling
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby dazby » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:08 am

What was this game Doug? A friendly?

How are we going in the youth chumps league?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby twosips » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:12 pm

It was the Premier League International Cup, the one the EDS won last year.

Saw the u18s this morning. They were incredible, winning 7-2...

http://inesteemedkompany.blogspot.co.uk ... derby.html
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:20 pm

The u19s drew 1-1 with BM. A soft penalty decision after the players came together saw ash smith-brown sent off and they scored the resulting spot kick. Just before half time Ambrose got injured and was replaced by brahim who scored on the stroke of HT to level. We held on to retain top spot and avoid the harder route.

Sevilla beat juventus which meant we needed the draw to finish top.

Well.done boys.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:23 pm

Wonderwall wrote:The u19s drew 1-1 with BM. A soft penalty decision after the players came together saw ash smith-brown sent off and they scored the resulting spot kick. Just before half time Ambrose got injured and was replaced by brahim who scored on the stroke of HT to level. We held on to retain top spot and avoid the harder route.

Sevilla beat juventus which meant we needed the draw to finish top.

Well.done boys.

Good result after the sending off. I did think we were the better side and would have won in Brown had not been sent off although BM were quite well organised and strong. The sending off did seem harsh.A good through ball sent their guy away but Brown had gone with the run straight down the middle.He might have been a fraction off the striker btu he chose to ease him off the ball at the last minute as so often happens and the ref saw it as a foul.He was well positioned to give it so maybe it was more than an easing off.

Apart from that one moment I can't recall BM threatening at all. City's attacking wasnt at it's best but I thought Nemane was our main threat and he got past the full back a few times but nobody was on the end of the crosses. Nemane ended up doing a dual job for a while as he was given the full back role as well when Ash went off. Ambrose getting injured didn't look good.He went up to flick a header on but landed badly and tweaked his left knee. he tried to run if off but that wasn't happening. I just hope it's not serious.

The plus side of Ambrose going off was Brahim Diaz came on. He is such a talent and scored after a neat 1/2 with Nmecha and then a cheeky chip over the onrushing keeper. It always felt like a winner for City would have to come through him although our two closest efforts were a free kick from Patching and a shot on a breakaway from Garcia.Both bringing good saves from their keeper.

I thought Vieira did ok amending his tactics in the middle of the second half. For a while we looked like getting caught with a missing defender but he decided to put the holding mid Lucas Davenport at left back and basically sit tight and break. It worked quite well as we had some excellent breakaways and they didn't create that much.

MoTM for me was Nemane with most of the players putting in a good stint. I still worry about Garcia.Some good stuff but mixed in wirh seeing him turn into trouble more than he turns away from it. I like Patching.Good balance ,good feet and definitely one to watch.

New name on the bench for me. Erik Sarmiento. Anyone know anything about him?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blues2win » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:12 pm

MEN raving about Brahim Diaz. More positive about Manu's performance than Doug.
blues2win
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:32 pm

blues2win wrote:MEN raving about Brahim Diaz. More positive about Manu's performance than Doug.

I think I might expect too much from Garcia as I know he is a real talent who has been struggling imo this season but there have been some recent signs that he is getting back to form. As I said though amongst the better bits he was losing the ball too much and often by turning into trouble when he should know where it is and turn the other way.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:51 pm

blues2win wrote:MEN raving about Brahim Diaz. More positive about Manu's performance than Doug.

I would take dougs view rather than the mens
Wonderwall

Postby nottsblue » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:55 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

I would take dougs view rather than the mens

Maybe even ratboys over the MEN. A shocking publication
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:07 pm

EDS play southampton tonight.

Kelechi starts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wonderwall

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:54 pm

Wonderwall wrote:EDS play southampton tonight.

good. he needs match time.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:27 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:

Good line up tonight. Roberts also playing.
Currently 2-0 up a nice shot by celina and a nice assist from kelechi to Faupaula
Wonderwall

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

Good line up tonight. Roberts also playing.
Currently 2-0 up a nice shot by celina and a nice assist from kelechi to Faupaula

Good stuff WW. Surprised Nacho is involved though.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:55 pm

Not had an awful lot of game time. A good move imo to keep him sharp

HT 2-1
Wonderwall

Postby blues2win » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:42 pm

Maffeo playing centre back?
blues2win
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Anyone got the team line-up.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:51 pm

3-1 Patrick roberts
Wonderwall

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:01 am

Line up was :

Gunn
Horsfield, Plummer,Maffeo, Ash Smith Brown
Roberts,Celina, Patching, Glendon,Faupala
Iheanacho

I think we were the better side in the first half without really being a really dominant side. Kelechi needed game time so good to see him play but he found it very hard to get into the game and had to go looking for the ball. He did assist both the goals in the first half with a simple lay back to Celina in the D and he curled his shot into the corner.Then he took a ball well into the penalty area, held it just long enough to find Faupala with a nice short pass.

Roberts also needed a game after an injury and he had a bit of a mare. Such a talented player but somehow his decision making just isnt right at the moment and his confidence low as he just kept losing the ball. I really like him but in recent games he can't seem to do much right.I am sure he will come back.

2 nil would have been flattering at half time and their goal was probably deserved if a bit fortunate. Given for a foul by Patching as he tried to block a shot and the guy who hit it was clattered after he hit it. They also had what seemed a 1 on 1 with Gunn but somehow Maffeo got back to nick the ball of the guys toes.

Soton came out with great energy in the 2nd half and press much better and we struggled to get out. Going forward we rushed most things but were still a threat but we were under pressure and at times our defending was a bit iffy. But hold out we did and then Gunn launched an early long clearance over the top, Kelechi raced onto it and toe poked it over the onrushing keeper. A defender managed to get back to stop it going over the line but only to Roberts who scored with ease. So he finally did something right.

Good 3pts but not a great performance as confirmed by Simon Davies the new EDS head coach. And we saw a new player tonight, Erik Sarmiento. never seen him before but he came on at left back and actually was a breath of fresh air. He seemed to want to go forward when he got the ball which hadnt been happening that much from his position. No idea if he is actually any good but I did like the few minutes I saw.

Also great to see Sinan Bytyqi come on as sub after a long injury.

Now for the under 18's in the Youth Cup tomorrow. The team I think is:

Grimshaw
Duhaney, Tosin,Oliver, Davenport
Wood,Diaz,Kongolo
Nemane,Nmecha ,Dilrosun
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum