Mafia plot to kidnap Mourinho - nice dig at gutter press

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Mafia plot to kidnap Mourinho - nice dig at gutter press

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:45 am

Nice article about how rumours gather pace, and shows just how much evidence the red tops need to decide that a story is a FACT, well done to the Guardian for running the story.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... kidnapping

"Mafia plot to kidnap Mourinho." It may make a great headline, but in the age of the internet, is all as it seems in a rapidly changing news environment?

According to tabloid reports, the Italian police have just smashed a Mafia plot to kidnap the Portuguese manager of Internazionale, his wife and two children. It is gripping stuff – except that the winding trail that leads back from today's ­headlines ends not at the luxurious waterfront mansion of a Sicilian godfather but in a shabby caravan on a Gypsy encampment at Grezzago, near Milan.

That is where, seven days ago, officers of the Carabinieri seized two members of a gang who were reported to have been plotting to seize "the Special One". Well, "gang" is one word to describe them, but "family" would do just as well.

The four-member gang – a husband and wife and their two grown-up sons – are accused of breaking into the houses of rich people in northern Italy.

"They'd take the number plates of big, expensive cars and go to the ACI [Italy's equivalent of the AA or RAC] and trace the address of the owner. Then, when they were sure there was no one at home, they'd deactivate the alarm system and break in through a door or window," Major Vito Di Gioia, who led the operation, said. He and his men found stolen goods worth some €500,000 (£440,000), including jewels and watches worth around €100,000 (£88,000).

Like any number of similar operations, this one would have passed unnoticed had not one of the Carabinieri found, in the prefab, a press cutting that referred to José Mourinho. "This was the only thing linking him to the operation," said Di Gioia.

Last Saturday a local paper in Genoa, the Corriere Mercantile, reported that Mourinho's home on Lake Como was among the suspected targets of a band of Gypsies accused of burglary. Its dispatch was picked up and reported by the Italian news agency Ansa, but only one leading newspaper, Milan's Il Giorno, bothered to publish a story.

But for the internet, no doubt, the affair would have died there and then. By Monday, however, it was all over the press in Mourinho's native Portugal, and somewhere in its passage from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic the story became a lot more interesting.

"José Mourinho escapes Mafia attack," declared Correio da Manha. A Bola told its readers the Gypsy band – "linked to the local mafia" – was "suspected of planning the kidnapping" of the Portuguese coach.

The Portuguese newspapers' coverage excited not only their readers but also several Italian national dailies, whose journalists had passed over the original story. Citing "the Portuguese press" as its source, Il Giornale reported on Tuesday that the gang were "linked to the Italian mafia" and had been found in possession of "videos and photos" of Mourinho. La Stampa said some of the photos had been taken of the coach "even while he was at the wheel of his car, and in particular as he was leaving the pinetina [training ground]".

By the time it reached the British press, both the kidnap plot and the Mafia link had become fact — at least in the headlines. "Mafia plot to kidnap José Mourinho foiled," proclaimed the Daily Mirror. "Gang bid to kidnap Mourinho," said the Sun.

Disappointingly, Major Di Gioia was not prepared to play ball. "We are not aware of any link between these people and organised crime," he said. Neither ­photos nor videos had been found on them, he added.

"These people are not kidnappers. They are just thieves and receivers of stolen goods," the Major said.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Re: Mafia plot to kidnap Mourinho - nice dig at gutter press

Postby Vhero » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 am

Fucking despicable thank god I don't live where there is Mafia like this its a joke really. This is one of the reasons besides the cash big footballers now stay away from the Italian league.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Alex Sapphire » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Vhero wrote:Fucking despicable thank god I don't live where there is Mafia like this its a joke really. This is one of the reasons besides the cash big footballers now stay away from the Italian league.

errmm
they weren't mafia
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby ian494 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:14 pm

Vhero wrote:Fucking despicable thank god I don't live where there is Mafia like this its a joke really. This is one of the reasons besides the cash big footballers now stay away from the Italian league.

Did you even read the article????
ian494
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Vhero » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:

errmm
they weren't mafia

And your point is?? Did I point to this particular case in my comment?? I was just commenting on the Mafia in general here not this case. As they still run in Italy.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:35 pm

Oh dear....
Original Dub

Postby ENIAM NAM » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Vhero wrote:
Alex Sapphire wrote:

errmm
they weren't mafia

And your point is?? Did I point to this particular case in my comment?? I was just commenting on the Mafia in general here not this case. As they still run in Italy.

Just commenting in general?
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:02 pm

WOW last two threads I have read had IBH insisting that Richards was masquerading as Toure against Bolton and now Vhero jumps on the Mafia Story. Vhero do you work for the Mirror or Sun?

Its baffled me, I am logging out and back in just in case its a glitch.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Feckin' priceless, those Mafioso Gypo's certainly know how to pull the wool! That'll keep me chuckling to myself for a good while.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby gillie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:19 pm

This thread has cheered me up no end.Fucking priceless!
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:24 pm

Vhero wrote:
Alex Sapphire wrote:

errmm
they weren't mafia

you sir are a stupid cunt of the highest order. you amaze me nearly everyday, but your ra-tardedness in this thread is almost too choice for words.

someone please quote me so mongtard can read this and send me a sad sack PM about what a cockfuck i am.

and heads up...any thicket that can't find their (or is it there, or they're...derrr...) own stream is a lazy fuclin cunt.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby The Man In Blue » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:25 pm

the word "fail" springs to mind when considering this entire subject and thread.

deary me.
The Man In Blue

Postby gillie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:46 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Vhero wrote:
Alex Sapphire wrote:

errmm
they weren't mafia

you sir are a stupid cunt of the highest order. you amaze me nearly everyday, but your ra-tardedness in this thread is almost too choice for words.

someone please quote me so mongtard can read this and send me a sad sack PM about what a cockfuck i am.

and heads up...any thicket that can't find their (or is it there, or they're...derrr...) own stream is a lazy fuclin cunt.

cheers

Say what you mean Doomy lol.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:52 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Vhero wrote:
Alex Sapphire wrote:

errmm
they weren't mafia

cheers

Doomy found his R_I_G :)

Its great to climb out of the ring and watch from the sidelines!

Carry on...
Original Dub

Postby Vhero » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:01 pm

ENIAM NAM wrote:
Vhero wrote:
Alex Sapphire wrote:

errmm
they weren't mafia

Okay my grammer was off FFS.. I give up with you guys on here you take way too much shit out of context I have purely had enough..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby HeyMark » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:04 pm

Vhero wrote:
ENIAM NAM wrote:
Vhero wrote:
Alex Sapphire wrote:

errmm
they weren't mafia

Okay my grammer was off FFS.. I give up with you guys on here you take way too much shit out of context I have purely had enough..

Grammar
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby The Man In Blue » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:08 pm

HeyMark wrote:
Vhero wrote:Okay my grammer was off FFS.. I give up with you guys on here you take way too much shit out of context I have purely had enough..

Grammar

no punctuation either.
The Man In Blue

Postby Vhero » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm pretty sure this board is supposed to be about City not the fucking Oxford dictionary? Yet one fucking Grammar mistake or punctuation and somebody slates you its bollocks. Who the fuck you people think you are the fucking Dictionary police? It's exactly why I blocked that toss pot Doom as his he has no rights to talk to me about English Grammer as he American I mean its our language they fucking destroyed it. Fucking Macdonalds eating pussy.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:21 pm

Vhero wrote:I'm pretty sure this board is supposed to be about City not the fucking Oxford dictionary? Yet one fucking Grammar mistake or punctuation and somebody slates you its bollocks. Who the fuck you people think you are the fucking Dictionary police? It's exactly why I blocked that toss pot Doom as his he has no rights to talk to me about English Grammer as he American I mean its our language they fucking destroyed it. Fucking Macdonalds eating pussy.

lol.

quoted to fan flames....sorry
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby shawzy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 pm

If any of you are going to the match on Sat and you see a man in the crowd wearing a pointed hat, have a think of who it could be.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum