Barca can't pay the bill?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Barca can't pay the bill?

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:38 pm

New president Sandro Rosell has revealed the extent of Barcelona's financial worries by admitting the players' wages were not paid last month.

Rosell formally succeeded Joan Laporta as president last week and and has already sold Dmitro Chygrynskiy to former side Shakhtar Donetsk for 15million euros to alleviate the club's "liquidity problems".

That move came as something of a surprise as, even though the defender had struggled for first-team football, coach Pep Guardiola had stated his intention to hold onto him.

But Rosell explained in an interview with Sport his administration were forced to act, both with that sale and by seeking further funds from banks.

[highlight]"We found a club in debt, with liquidity problems," he said. "At this point we have to take a loan to pay the wages of the players.

"The squad were supposed to be paid at the end of last month and still haven't been.

"We'll fix a loan of 150million euros.[/highlight]

"The banks know that we have a business plan that will allow them to recover the money.

"The club is not bankrupt because it generates income."

However, Rosell insisted the situation was not a reason to panic.

"The members shouldn't be afraid because it is under control," he said. "We must resolve this tension.

"It can be done in two ways: to have extra income, like selling Chygrynskiy, and/or taking a loan, which is what we have done.

"The previous board had already begun this process. We followed the same path - the same banks, the same target but with a different business plan.

"They (Laporta's board) also knew they needed this credit.

"We hope to sign it this week."

Asked how a club with a turnover of 400million euros could be in such a predicament, Rosell said: "It has spent more than it has made."

[highlight]Despite the financial situation - and the purchase of David Villa from Valencia - Rosell insists there is still as much as 89million euros to spend on new blood.[/highlight]

"There will be 50 million euros to sign more players," he said. "This is the case every year. This is our plan for the future.

"Technically, as of now we have 50 million plus 15 for Chygrynskiy and 24 for (Yaya) Toure. In total, 89million."

That may not be good news for Arsenal fans, who hope to see their captain, Cesc Fabregas, remain in London.

With former Barca youth player Fabregas seemingly keen to return to the Nou Camp, it has become the summer's protracted transfer saga.

However Rosell, who is due to travel to South Africa shortly, where he hopes to meet with Gunners boss Arsene Wenger, wants the issue sorted as soon as possible.

"It's now or never," he said. "We'll do it fast. It won't be protracted.

"I'll try to see Wenger in South Africa, then we'll tell you what happens.

"We would not pay the 50-60million euros that I have read about.

"If Arsenal do not go crazy, he might play at Barca."

They can't pay the wages but can still buy nearly £100m worth of players? It doesn't make sense!
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Re: Barca can't pay the bill?

Postby Wooders » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:48 pm

does make you wonder
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:51 pm

I read a different article that seemed to suggest part of the reason for the loan was to spread the risk from an un-guaranteed sponsorship contract that still has three years left on it - the company involved had filed for bankrupcy protection.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby blues-clues » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Dear Mr Messi. I understand Barcelona have breached your contract by not paying your wages. If you would like your wages to be doubled and have lovely homes in Alderley Edge and Abu Dhabi please call +44 870 062 1894 and ask to speak to Brian or Bob.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Beeks » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:11 pm

blues-clues wrote:Dear Mr Messi. I understand Barcelona have breached your contract by not paying your wages. If you would like your wages to be doubled and have lovely homes in Alderley Edge and Abu Dhabi please call +44 870 062 1894 and ask to speak to Brian or Bob.

PS We heard you liked Oasis so we can arrange a meeting with them if you like?
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Vhero » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:20 pm

Amazing Villa leaves his club who were in debt because they were in debt and goes to ANOTHER club with the same problem although not as bad YET. Smells like Portsmouth this does though.. The problem with them though is they are funding everything without the backing to stay on top. Real Madrid are getting tax payers to fund there wages and funds while Barca have to be self reliant. To stay above Real without the same backing as them must be a serious problem. The rags are gonna have the same issue soon enough...
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:25 pm

€150M euros is a serious loan, much more than the monthly wages.

I think Platini ought to bring out some new financial rules to allow massive crppling loans which 'can be serviced', whilst forbidding any new investment into football.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:27 pm

Wonder what Platini will do if this kind of behaviour continues in the future?

Let me fucking guess......
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Vhero » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:28 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Wonder what Platini will do if this kind of behaviour continues in the future?

Let me fucking guess......

This can only be good for City as no way he can ban Barca
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Feed The Goat » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:57 pm

I can't believe how badly we are ruining football
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby frannylee » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:11 pm

[quote="MaineRoadMemories"][quote]

"There will be 50 million euros to sign more players," he said. "This is the case every year. This is our plan for the future.

"Technically, as of now we have 50 million plus 15 for Chygrynskiy and 24 for (Yaya) Toure. In total, 89million."

So did we pay 25 million quid for Toure or 24 million euros ?? - significant difference between the two amounts
It's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have.
frannylee
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Have a guess ??!!

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:17 pm

blues-clues wrote:Dear Mr Messi. I understand Barcelona have breached your contract by not paying your wages. If you would like your wages to be doubled and have lovely homes in Alderley Edge and Abu Dhabi please call +44 870 062 1894 and ask to speak to Brian or Bob.

Haha thats class
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Grob » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:03 pm

frannylee wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:

So did we pay 25 million quid for Toure or 24 million euros ?? - significant difference between the two amounts

Looks like 24 million Euros which equates to £19.9 million.

Yaya is starting to look a bit of a snip.
Grob

Postby ashton287 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Grob wrote:
frannylee wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:

the "barca is the club of my life" line still puts a downer on it though
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby blues-clues » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:34 pm

There will be loads of agents and players fees and shit to come out of what left City and what actually arrived at Barca. Possibly some Spanish Taxes as well although I was under the impression Barca and Real received taxes rather than paying them!
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Grob » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:38 pm

ashton287 wrote:
Grob wrote:
frannylee wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:

the "barca is the club of my life" line still puts a downer on it though

Meh, ignore it. Whilst not the best way to endeer (sic) yourself to the fans of your new club, he's not been negative about us. Hopefully by the time he's finished playing here, City will be the club of his life.
Grob

Return to The Maine Football forum