Officially official De Jong v Robbie thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Officially official De Jong v Robbie thread

Postby mr_nool » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:01 am

I think - and hope - that NdJ won't be too missed in the semis. Against Uruguay a midfield combo of van Bommel, Sneijder and van der Vaart should be more than sufficient. Van der Vaart is quite capable of taking a defensive responsibility as well, and offers more than NdJ going forward. I would actualy have prefered him in the team over NDJ against lesser teams in the beginning of the tournament.
That said, if Holland make the final, NDJ will be needed against Spain/Germany.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Re: Officially official De Jong v Robbie thread

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:51 am

Grob wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:I remember that there was a lot of negativity towards NDJ when he 1st started - and even a lot towards the end of the last season - whilst some of us remember just how the opposition flooded through our MF before he arrived.

Holland seem to think he is good enough for their MF - and if they do not make the final I would not be surprised if it is because he is not available in the semi - also Arsenal fans seem to think he has some qualities as well judging by this thread:

http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&start=60

Maybe he should get more recognition amongst CITY fans

I think thats a bit harsh. I dont think people were overly negative to Nige. I and others just wondered why he was picked regulally against the Burnleys and Portsmouths at home of this world when we didnt need a DM.

Also Holland have likes of Wesley Snijder and Arjen Robben who basically drop to take the ball off De Jongs feet and work their magic. I fully understand the concept of defensive midfielder but I don't think it's too much to ask to want them to be able to pass the ball at least three yards forward every now and then. He undoes all his great magic with his inabilit to start counterattack. One of the best tacklers around though for sure.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum