Seasons reflections

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Seasons reflections

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 26, 2024 11:42 am

So another season is finished

We’ve had a good one IMO

Yes, obviously it could have been better, we could have won yesterday. But winning the league again and for an unprecedented 4th successive season is a phenomenal achievement no matter how you want to spin it.

We also won two other pots, the Super Cup and World Club Cup. Another good showing in the CL to keep our coefficient strong. The boys in the Academy won the youth cup so hopefully one or two in years to come will make the breakthrough. Oscar Bobb this year has shown he is likely to have what it takes to make it here. And Lewis has another season under his belt. It’s now up to them next season to kick on

The squad clearly will need a refresh but to be honest that’s the case most years. You need changes to keep fresh and hungry. And we’ve got a few guys now coming to the end of contracts where we’ve a decision to be made.

All in all it’s a solid 8.5/10 for me. A win yesterday would have been a 10 but we didn’t so it isn’t

Thoughts on the season?
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: Seasons reflections

Postby Nick » Sun May 26, 2024 11:57 am

Good season obviously but yesterday puts a big blott on it.

Imagine the parade will be shit I'm not bothering now.

My worry is motivation. Pep already questioning his own motivation BEFORE the final which was crazy.

Will bobb and Lewis ever actually get a chance ? They are the few with hunger and motivation.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Blue Jam » Sun May 26, 2024 12:01 pm

Was going to start a 'chin up' thread but ill post my draft here...

I know I'm pessimistic, but...

We are reigning world champions
We won a treble this year
We won four PLs in 4 consecutive years

Remember when we were "shit"?
Even then there were some great times

Kevin Keegans entire first season (remember beating Burnley 4 1 at Maine Road?)
Beating rags 3:1 in the last ever derby at Maine Road
Pinching ourselves as we sat in CoMS for the first time, neating Barcelona as a bonus.

Nobody in our lifetime is likely to feel the incredible surge from despair to elation from 93:20, 12 years ago. Nobody.

Those of you who have been a City fan for longer than me have other great memories to cherish- Bell, Doyle, Kinkladze...

Even when we were shit, we had a great time.

It's great being a Blue
Blue Jam
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Goater

Postby Blue Jam » Sun May 26, 2024 12:02 pm

Nick wrote:Good season obviously but yesterday puts a big blott on it.

Imagine the parade will be shit I'm not bothering now.

My worry is motivation. Pep already questioning his own motivation BEFORE the final which was crazy.

Will bobb and Lewis ever actually get a chance ? They are the few with hunger and motivation.

Slightly worried that the sma.crowds at parade wi become a meme.
Slightly worried some rags wil turn up and banter might escalate.
Blue Jam
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Goater

Postby CTID Hants » Sun May 26, 2024 12:09 pm

The season after winning a treble was always going to be a challenge.

An early and prolonged injury to a key player like KDB was a massive blow, but everyone else stepped up, notably so Phil!!

We were unlucky not to beat RM, going out the way we did.

4 straight league wins at the expense of gooners and dippers was satisfying as well as being unprecedented.

Manager of the year
Player of the year

Yesterday was a disappointment to say the least. The only positive is that rags now face another season of Thursday night/Sunday football.

No City now until 24th July, then we go again...

I think this transfer window will tell us whether Pep stays or goes next summer.

No more piecemeal signings please.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Mase » Sun May 26, 2024 12:11 pm

Thanks for starting this.

A good season overall. More history made, Bobb coming through and looking good, Rags finishing 8th, Josko and Doku looking raw but have done well for their first seasons in a new league under a new manager and I’m excited at what they’ll bring to the team next season.

Have we PLAYED as well as last season? Absolutely not. The football hasn’t been as good. I don’t think we hit the heights we saw last season. I can’t think of one top team that we’ve destroyed this season - Madrid last season style. There’s games we didn’t deserve to win but we just managed to. But we’ve made history with 4 in a row and when it’s all said and done, that’s what matters.

Have we replaced Gundo and Mahrez, two important players for us? Nope. And we really need to look at why. Not having a plan B for Bellingham last summer fucked us badly. Not sure whether we were promised he’d come here or not, but he didn’t and we appeared to enter panic mode - shall we grab someone from West Ham? Oh no we can’t, he might be banned. Shall we get Eze? Nah we’ll leave him. Let’s go for Nunes - is he good enough? Probably not but let’s get him anyway. Quite comical really and we can’t have a summer like that again.

These Gomez, Phillips, Nunes and I’d throw Kovacic in there as well as a squad player - we don’t need those this summer, we need players that will challenge the likes of Kev, be able to fill in for Rodri when needed, push Haaland, and replace Walker. The majority of our top players come from outside the Premier League - we need to keep doing the same in my opinion. Unless we’re buying from Arsenal or Liverpool no one is getting in our first team.

Can’t describe how disappointed I am about yesterday. The manner of it was the worst thing about it - Pep changing players because he felt sorry for them and not doing what’s best for the team, Players not giving 100%, players making mistakes, Walker jogging around instead of sprinting!
One thing is for sure, I definitely won’t be cheering a Rag goal again, even if it is against Liverpool. Utter cunts.

Overall we’d have taken what we’ve achieved this season, if given the choice 10 months ago. Let’s not forget the two trophies at the end of last year that we won.

Next season -

- More of Bobb and Lewis, we don’t have to bring on a player just because he cost £50m+ if he’s not better than the kids we have
- Replace Mahrez and Gundo PROPERLY
- Bring in players that will challenge and be good enough for the starting 11, not squad players
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 26, 2024 12:12 pm

Also to add, any season which ends with a pot on the sideboard is a good one. And we won three. Which speaks for itself
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Sun May 26, 2024 12:15 pm

nottsblue wrote:Also to add, any season which ends with a pot on the sideboard is a good one. And we won three. Which speaks for itself

Can’t agree with the first sentence mate. Have the Rags had a good season?

Out of the CL in the group stages. 8th place in the league. But they won a cup.

It’s standards - and we’ve set ours.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Sun May 26, 2024 12:22 pm

We've achieved something that no other team has ever done before and it's likely no other team ever will.

I'm absolutely delighted.

The fa cup would have been a nice little topping but I'm quite sure we'll do back to back doubles in the future.

I'm certainly celebrating this unique achievement and I hope most of you are able to too.

Up the Blues !
"Alvarez haters must be squirming"
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 26, 2024 12:29 pm

Mase wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Also to add, any season which ends with a pot on the sideboard is a good one. And we won three. Which speaks for itself

Yes the rags now have had a good season. It salvaged their season. They have a pot on the sideboard. Arsenal, Chelsea, Villa, Newcastle and everyone else other than us and the dippers don't.

We won 11 trophies in our history up to 2010. Since then we've won 20 more. So yes our standards have clearly improved. But there are only 3 domestic pots yo go for every year and there a number of sides who can realistically win them so if we win one it means a lot of sides miss out.

When Pep goes we will likely have a season or possibly more of transition where we don't win things and I for one will long for the days when we did
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Sun May 26, 2024 12:33 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Mase wrote:

Yes the rags now have had a good season. It salvaged their season. They have a pot on the sideboard. Arsenal, Chelsea, Villa, Newcastle and everyone else other than us and the dippers don't.

We won 11 trophies in our history up to 2010. Since then we've won 20 more. So yes our standards have clearly improved. But there are only 3 domestic pots yo go for every year and there a number of sides who can realistically win them so if we win one it means a lot of sides miss out.

When Pep goes we will likely have a season or possibly more of transition where we don't win things and I for one will long for the days when we did

Still can’t agree. Liverpool and the Rags have not had good seasons. I’m sure 90% of their fan base will tell you that.

Arsenal haven’t had a good season, despite winning the charity shield.

The Rags set their standards and now they’re spending £700m+ just to win a cup? That’s not good in my opinion
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nick » Sun May 26, 2024 1:43 pm

Back to back doubles in the future? I can't see that. Call me negative but can you see anyone other than pep doing that?

We need a kev type signing. Other than this wirtz who is supposed to be going munich. Who is out there?

Hope this savio comes, stays and is class.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Indianablue » Sun May 26, 2024 3:18 pm

Great season but disappointing to go out of the chumps league the way we did and ditto the FA Cup final in a similar manner yesterday. Both teams sat deep defended very well and hit us on the break very rffectively against our highline press. Pep admitted the firsy half was his fault, his tactics he pickrd the team. All our players looked leggy. . I'd score it A. For achieving a quadruple but that is more of a continual assessment grade and previous seasons contributed. As an individual season i'd grade it a B+. Not our best football, beaten in domestic cups by poorer sides and dissappointing in the champs league. Think our team went all billy big bollocks after last werk end and Pep guilty of over thinking . Don't mind losing but yesterday's drop off needs to be questioned seriously. What team if they were really serious would get sbsolutely blathered with 5 days to a final? Embarrassing fuck up
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Francis Lee

Postby PeterParker » Wed May 29, 2024 7:37 am

My feelings were very similar to the club, this year, so I didn't have any expectations to be honest.

Last summer, after we won it all, and I've felt we completed football. As dumb as it sounds. Because, as many as you here, I hate this modern football shit that lacks the heart and the game we all loved growing up. And it's been toxic all of this year to see tha amount of hate and bitterness around us from the masses.

Love to see the piss boil, don't get me wrong, but as a City fan is difficult to have a decent chat with any other english fan that is not City.

About us, I feel we lacked the hunger. I feel we missed Gundog and the Prince big, big time and we had a hit & miss summer when it comes to transfers.
I hate that we lost the final versus the rags, but might be a blessing in disguise for the next season.

But I feel it speaks volumes where we are as a club when we were MEH all year long and won the league in front of arguably the best Arse team in years and the "mentality monsters" where every win means more.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Return to The Maine Football forum