Kevin's role

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Kevin's role

Postby PeterParker » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:53 pm

This is not a sell him thread, but are we better without him?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Re: Kevin's role

Postby branny » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:57 pm

We were playing better without him. If he came back in at the same level as last season, fair enough, but he's nowhere near. Bernardo should be starting ahead of him.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby Mase » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:57 pm

I actually don’t think he’s fit at all yet. But I wonder if Pep is playing him because of the contract situation, and he doesn’t want to piss Kev off?

I can’t understand when other players are injured he takes his time bringing them back in. But not with Kev.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PeterParker » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:02 pm

I have an unpopular opinion, but I think Kevin should play upfront as a second striker or even false 9.
He should never play in the middle, imho, due to his poor lack of defensive role. In his six years here, we've rarely seen him tracking back or defending, an important aspect that leaves our back open.

When he was absent, everyone defended, everyone attacked. Now since he came back, we concede again every week.
Last edited by PeterParker on Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:04 pm

On the bench for the foreseeable. He’s been nowhere near.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby london blue 2 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:07 pm

PeterParker wrote:I have an unpopular opinion, but I think Kevin should play upfront as a second striker or even false 9.
He should never play in the middle, imho, due to his poor lack of defensive role. In his six years here, we've rarely seen him tracking back or defending, an important aspect that lives our back open.

When he was absent, everyone defended, everyone attacked. Now since he came back, we concede again every week.

I agree with this. Though for me does track and work hard but he over commits to the press in the wrong areas and allows teams to easily bypass him. Great when you win it but when you don’t he’s out of the game and the team suffer.

Without him the balance was near perfect and everyone knew their role. But we do want him involved as he’s class.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:17 pm

He's capable of scoring an amazing free kick and amazing at one or 2 world class crosses ( if its to sterling then its a waste of a cross ) but he gives the ball away constantly and unless he can rein that in then its pointless him being picked against top sides.

Today he gave the ball away more than everyone else combined.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby nottsblue » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:34 pm

Difficult decisions ahead re KDB. He is pushing 30 and the contract he is supposedly angling for will be his last big pay day. It must be in the mind of the DoF whether we cash in now whilst we can still get decent money for him which we potentially could use to fund a forward, as it isn’t as if we are short of quality midfielders. There is no doubt he has been a quality player for us over the last 5 years and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. That is not in question. But has team evolved to the point where we don’t need him? Or rather don’t miss him?

Since his return from injury he has come straight back into the side largely at the expense of Foden and the rhythm of the team has been seemingly altered. He loses possession a lot and I know it’s because he tries a lot of through balls or passes other players can’t even see let alone attempt, and it looks amazing when it comes off, but more often than not it loses us possession. Just lately we have started to concede more goals and is this a big factor in that? Who knows but nonetheless it is happening.

Also, has his return affected other players performance? Gundogan hasn’t been his self and his attacking role is diminished when KDB is in the side, which is a shame. Foden as mentioned seems to be the one left out. Two months ago I wouldn’t have entertained the notion of selling him but I am starting to wonder whether it would be to the benefit the team if we sold him to raise money to replace Aguero. I know NT raised this point and I wasn’t keen but the last few games have made me question myself. Of course, he is now likely to play a starting role in the business end of the campaign to make me look a chump, (not hard I know!), but still
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PeterParker » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:36 pm

nottsblue wrote:. But has team evolved to the point where we don’t need him? Or rather don’t miss him?

This is the key.
I think is a tricky one, but we have a precedent on us winning the treble without him.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Outcast » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:41 pm

nottsblue wrote:Difficult decisions ahead re KDB. He is pushing 30 and the contract he is supposedly angling for will be his last big pay day. It must be in the mind of the DoF whether we cash in now whilst we can still get decent money for him which we potentially could use to fund a forward, as it isn’t as if we are short of quality midfielders. There is no doubt he has been a quality player for us over the last 5 years and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. That is not in question. But has team evolved to the point where we don’t need him? Or rather don’t miss him?

Since his return from injury he has come straight back into the side largely at the expense of Foden and the rhythm of the team has been seemingly altered. He loses possession a lot and I know it’s because he tries a lot of through balls or passes other players can’t even see let alone attempt, and it looks amazing when it comes off, but more often than not it loses us possession. Just lately we have started to concede more goals and is this a big factor in that? Who knows but nonetheless it is happening.

Also, has his return affected other players performance? Gundogan hasn’t been his self and his attacking role is diminished when KDB is in the side, which is a shame. Foden as mentioned seems to be the one left out. Two months ago I wouldn’t have entertained the notion of selling him but I am starting to wonder whether it would be to the benefit the team if we sold him to raise money to replace Aguero. I know NT raised this point and I wasn’t keen but the last few games have made me question myself. Of course, he is now likely to play a starting role in the business end of the campaign to make me look a chump, (not hard I know!), but still

There are rumours we're after a top striker and a midfielder in next transfer window, obviously rumours can be bollocks, I wonder why a midfielder though and who can afford him if we decide to cash in ?
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:47 pm

PeterParker wrote:I have an unpopular opinion, but I think Kevin should play upfront as a second striker or even false 9.
He should never play in the middle, imho, due to his poor lack of defensive role. In his six years here, we've rarely seen him tracking back or defending, an important aspect that leaves our back open.

Not unpopular at all i have been saying it for a while.

He has a place in the team but its not in the middle, not since his injury. He could do it in 17/18 pre injury but not now.

I feel like the players dont really like him, he tells them off when he makes a mistake, his body language is poor when things arent going his way. Defo not captain material for me.

London blue summed it up well, he gets around but it looks tokenish and isnt part of a functioning midfield or with any real defensive purpose. I think he gave the ball away on at least 8 occasions, 6 of those within the first 30 mins. I think it was the worst individual performance i have seen from a player in a long time. He also looked abs exhausted after about 15 mins.

His future lies in the front three maybe as the false 9 but any of those positions across the front.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby nottsblue » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:52 pm

Outcast wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Difficult decisions ahead re KDB. He is pushing 30 and the contract he is supposedly angling for will be his last big pay day. It must be in the mind of the DoF whether we cash in now whilst we can still get decent money for him which we potentially could use to fund a forward, as it isn’t as if we are short of quality midfielders. There is no doubt he has been a quality player for us over the last 5 years and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. That is not in question. But has team evolved to the point where we don’t need him? Or rather don’t miss him?

There are rumours we're after a top striker and a midfielder in next transfer window, obviously rumours can be bollocks, I wonder why a midfielder though and who can afford him if we decide to cash in ?

The obvious answer to that is some sort of swap with Dortmund for Haaland. But I would think that unlikely unless they also sell Sancho and they need creativity. Spain has no money. We wouldn’t sell to a PL rival and Italy has little money other than Juventus. Maybe Bayern to replace Muller?

I personally don’t think we will end up selling him this summer due to the financial outlook for a lot of Europe’s biggest clubs, but a swap deal may be done.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Blue In Bolton » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:55 pm

It is a difficult one as will he come back to be the player he was a la John Stones return to peak performance? I for one would not be averse to seeing him being sold if a decent replacement can be sourced or say for example he could be used in a deal for Haaland (beat me to it, nottsblue!!).

One thing is for sure, he simply cannot be in the starting eleven at the moment as it is to the detriment of the team.
Last edited by Blue In Bolton on Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blue In Bolton
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David White

Postby PeterParker » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:56 pm

Dubciteh wrote:

I feel like the players dont really like him, he tells them off when he makes a mistake, his body language is poor when things arent going his way. Defo not captain material for me.

Happy to read this, to be honest (well, not happy, but you get the idea) as I have the same impression since I've read that "Let me talk" interview a while back. He is an odd bloke, don't think he has many friends in the squad", I would go as he is disliked, but making him captain was wrong from the start.

Pitch-wise, I don't actually understand what his role is. He looks like he has more of a free role and he had since day one, however, here is the trick, since day one, if he is having a bad, bad day, our whole middle is fucked. Going back in time, I think him coming in 2015, after our fantastic start of the season, broke the rhythm for Pellers
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby zuricity » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:02 pm

is served with a slice of cheese and black forest ham in it . Delicious !
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mase » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:09 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

Happy to read this, to be honest (well, not happy, but you get the idea) as I have the same impression since I've read that "Let me talk" interview a while back. He is an odd bloke, don't think he has many friends in the squad", I would go as he is disliked, but making him captain was wrong from the start.

Pitch-wise, I don't actually understand what his role is. He looks like he has more of a free role and he had since day one, however, here is the trick, since day one, if he is having a bad, bad day, our whole middle is fucked. Going back in time, I think him coming in 2015, after our fantastic start of the season, broke the rhythm for Pellers

It’s not just the Let Me Talk moment. He did it with Foden this season as well. I can’t find the clip now, but where he’s screaming at Foden - “YOU DON’T LISTEN PHIL!!” It’s been mentioned, the players seem scared of him, and not in the way rag players would be scared of Keane and it would give them the edge. Quite the opposite.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby brite blu sky » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:21 pm

zuricity wrote:is served with a slice of cheese and black forest ham in it . Delicious !

any cheese in particular ?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:52 pm

Sell Sell Sell. NOW
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby sheblue » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:09 pm

Of course we shouldn't sell him

But he should play the false 9 more, hes good at it.
And is better option than jesus who is west ham or crystal palace standard.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:58 am

I'd be happy to cash in on Kev. Provided we're able to stay dominant through this style of play, the points he single handedly wins us probably won't make a title-winning difference next season unless Liverpool suddenly find a way back to long term form.

There's not a huge amount of money around, but Barcelona will need someone of status to replace Messi for a few years, and whilst they don't appear to have a pot to piss in, the new president will need something to appease the fans.

The comments about buying a midfielder in the summer still have me scratching my head why, unless the plan moving forwards is for Aguero to leave and KDB to play further forward. But if you add Messi to that equation then surely Mahrez would be the one to make way?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum